JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Flat Towing (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/flat-towing-1696081/)

NIUPonyBoy 10-17-2013 08:59 PM

Flat Towing

I flat towed the JK for the first time today, it was only about 180 miles, wow was that ***** stinking like it was "smoking" something,

The t-case and manual transmission were all in neutral, the parking brake was off and nothing was touching the pedal, the wheel could turn freely. What the heck is it? The stink lingered for hours too. Seemed to drive ok Fterwards.

Kuntryboy816 10-18-2013 08:24 AM

Interesting.... I'd start with checking all of your fluids first...Transmission and transfer case. Did you disconnect your driveshafts when you towed it?

jeepman788 10-18-2013 08:30 AM

Check it out but I think the trans should be in a forward gear - supplies (pumps) oil to output bearing.

And T-Case in neutral.

NIUPonyBoy 10-18-2013 12:10 PM

Fluids looked fine, but the manual Trans should be in a gear? 1-6? I was told everything in neutral. And no the shafts were still attached with the t-case in neutral.

the_weirdo 10-20-2013 08:29 AM

With a manual tranny you want the transmission in gear (with auto, you want it in park). You do it this way to keep the tranny output from spinning without lubrication which can toast the bearings. Placing the tranny in gear keeps the tranny shaft from spinning. You can leave the tcase in neutral because the oil pump is on the output shaft of the tranny and spins whenever the rear driveshaft spins so the bearings get lubricated.

ncb 10-20-2013 08:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Owners manual- when it doubt, whip it out.

Kuntryboy816 10-20-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncb
Owners manual- when it doubt, whip it out.

The last part of that quote has caused many a problem at colleges, parties, bars...........

TOK 10-20-2013 11:34 AM

I have never flat towed, and would prefer to get a car trailer, but was really surprised by the instructions. If you have a manual trans vehicle, are you just supposed to leave it in 6th gear? Does the gear not even matter since the transfer case is in neutral?

NIUPonyBoy 10-20-2013 11:47 AM

^ what you said.

Thanks all!

jwmbishop 10-20-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIUPonyBoy (Post 16930937)
I flat towed the JK for the first time today, it was only about 180 miles, wow was that ***** stinking like it was "smoking" something,

The t-case and manual transmission were all in neutral, the parking brake was off and nothing was touching the pedal, the wheel could turn freely. What the heck is it? The stink lingered for hours too. Seemed to drive ok Fterwards.

You got the front of your transfer case REAL hot. Find some sand or gravel and make sure it works fine in 4WD.

The transfer case is the split - just like jacking up an open diff and turning one tire turns the other side (backwards) if the yoke cant turn - The input of the transfer must be held stationary for the oil in the front half of the transfer case to flow properly. This requires transfer N, Transmission P (or 3rd on standard).

jwmbishop 10-20-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOK (Post 16993026)
I have never flat towed, and would prefer to get a car trailer, but was really surprised by the instructions. If you have a manual trans vehicle, are you just supposed to leave it in 6th gear? Does the gear not even matter since the transfer case is in neutral?

In Gear or Park. Gears matters to hold transfer input shaft stationary.

NIUPonyBoy 10-20-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwmbishop (Post 16996986)
You got the front of your transfer case REAL hot. Find some sand or gravel and make sure it works fine in 4WD.

The transfer case is the split - just like jacking up an open diff and turning one tire turns the other side (backwards) if the yoke cant turn - The input of the transfer must be held stationary for the oil in the front half of the transfer case to flow properly. This requires transfer N, Transmission P (or 3rd on standard).

Any particular reason for 3rd?

jwmbishop 10-20-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIUPonyBoy (Post 16997522)
Any particular reason for 3rd?

Just the gear I pick - shifter fwd out way and easy gate to find. using first to check transfer case could still lurch the vehicle if not careful (like rushing to hitch in rain) - third will stall without hitting the tow vehicle!

dav5942 10-21-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOK (Post 16993026)
I have never flat towed, and would prefer to get a car trailer, but was really surprised by the instructions.

Have towed jeeps for over 1 million miles, XJs, TJs, JKs. Much easier than a trailer, takes less than 5 minutes to hook them up. Headed back to Alaska next summer for another 15k miles.

jwmbishop 10-21-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dav5942 (Post 17013090)
Have towed jeeps for over 1 million miles, XJs, TJs, JKs. Much easier than a trailer, takes less than 5 minutes to hook them up. Headed back to Alaska next summer for another 15k miles.

My 71 year old mother hitches, unhitches and tows behind her RV all by herself all over the country.

The time now is 10:40 AM.