flat black grille - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > flat black grille

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 05-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

flat black grille

I don't know why this is even slightly appealing to me, but I've been pondering converting my grille to flat black recently. I know there's a guy on here with a yellow JK that did this and I loved it since I first saw his pics... then a few weeks ago there were the posts with the full Rhino-lined body (flat black) that I actually thought was cool... THEN ...today I saw an all flat black '09 Nissan GTR and my jaw hit the floor.
Sooo - I'm jonesing for some flat black. The downside is that I have a jeep green Sahara with a khaki top - there probably couldn't be a worse color combo to pair this up with.
Does anyone know if there's a good latex spraypaint that will cure on my grille w/o a primer that will ruin it? My thoughts are that if I don't like it - I can peel it off. Maybe vinyl is an option?

Has anyone else done this?

tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
bunkrdfool
2007 JK Wrangler 

Go to a junkyard and buy an extra grill for a few bucks, spray paint it flat black and if you dont like it then dont use it, but atleast you wouldnt have ruined your original one... and if you do like it, you can just take the original out and swap it with the junkyard one, then after your "jonesing" for the flat black you can just switch back
Unread 05-13-2009, 05:34 AM   #3
gaikwad_us

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkrdfool View Post
Go to a junkyard and buy an extra grill for a few bucks, spray paint it flat black and if you dont like it then dont use it, but atleast you wouldnt have ruined your original one... and if you do like it, you can just take the original out and swap it with the junkyard one, then after your "jonesing" for the flat black you can just switch back
Such a cool idea - I love these forums.
gaikwad_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 05:35 AM   #4
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

On the other forum tons of guys have done this mod with Duplicolor spray truck bed liner. Looks realy good. Not sure how it'll look with your top, but in general it looks good with the Jeep Green.
AEV: Hood, Skidplate & Bumper, jackstand and Badging Expedition One Rear Bumper,RE 4.5" Long Arm Kit,5.13s, Black Riddler Diff Covers, Hypertech Airaid CAI, PIAA 540s w/flush mounted switch, Flowmaster 40, 325/60/22 BFGs and the list goes on...
SaharaBlackNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 07:03 AM   #5
JHamer85
2007 JK Wrangler 

krylon fusion makes paint for plastic (which the grille is). it's what i've used to paint black on my grille

spraying the whole thing at once would definitely be easier than taping down and painting around it.
i'm very happy with the paint thus far, nice and flat as though it was always that way
2007 rescue green Rubicon 2 door | 2.5" Teraflex coil lift | MOPAR tail light guards | Primal Effects tusks | Black headlight "bezels" | teeth painted on grille | Rugged Ridge front skid plate | Rancho oil pan skid plate | Skid Row evap canister skid plate
JHamer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
marinemike
2008 JK Wrangler 

dude!
what happened to your licence plate and frame?
did you meet up with a flyer hater?
marinemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
sethco
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinemike View Post
dude!
what happened to your licence plate and frame?
did you meet up with a flyer hater?

You should see the rest of the front end...........you would be like ...wait....what?.... there was licence plate on there?

http://zoneoffroad.com/bad-to-the-bone?feat=34

Last edited by sethco; 05-13-2009 at 07:26 AM..
sethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
sethco
2008 JK Wrangler 

http://zoneoffroad.com/bad-to-the-bone?feat=34
sethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

i got a red rock with khaki. Ive got all the stuff to do mine. Im using Duplicolor (VHT) liner for mine. I have a cool black mesh insert for behind the slats too as well as the VHT colored plastic paint to black out the turn signal lenses. Just as I got everything together i dislocated my wrist.... right hand, needed surgery, aka i'm worthless right now. Im typing this with my left as we speak, ha.
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
propped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #10
SilvRSpeedX3
2008 JK Wrangler 

i bought a used grill for like 30 bucks on ebay and had it line-x'd and it came out pretty nice and if i dont like it i still had my original one
Unread 05-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

just go to the dealer and buy one for a black jeep. The part # is 68046306AA. The only thing is that it does not come with the Jeep letters on it, but you can purchase them seperate. I believe that it was about $70 less that the chrome one.
89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
JohnRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #12
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

i love mine blacxk

Dr.Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #13
Slenny
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethco View Post
Is that the Wolverine edition?
Slenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
gmd
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethco View Post
the wart hog i love it !!!!
pics or your making this all up
n i g h t c r e w #077
BLACK JEEP MEMBER 327

(from:friskeljr)The real test comes when all strength has fled and man must produce victory on will alone...
Courage is the mastery of fear...
http://www.militaryjeepe rs.com/commu...mber.php?u=750
gmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
WVUJeeper
2008 JK Wrangler 

OP, post a photo of your jeep in the picture request section...usually there's someone there that can photo shop what you want pretty easily.
BTW, what's with the "if you haven't driven one shut up" nonsense? How can we have a good internet fight if experience and knowledge are going to be a requirement?
'08 Rescue Green Unlimited X - Hard Top, 3.73 gears, Limited Slip, Infinity 7 speaker system, KC Slimlite Long Range, Cobra CB, Rough Country 2.5" BB, 35" BFG KM2's on ProComp 7089's. Fenderless and proud!

My build thread: HERE

RESCUE GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #25
COLORADO JEEP CLUB MEMBER # 1001
WVUJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.