Flash and It Feels Like a New Engine - Immediate Performance Increase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Flash and It Feels Like a New Engine - Immediate Performance Increase

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-16-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
rac-jeep

Flash and It Feels Like a New Engine - Immediate Performance Increase

Have had my 4 door JK for over a year and a half. The Engine has always felt "under-powered" to me. I thought this was a combination of me moving up from a two door TJ and the "minivan" engine replacing my beloved straight six. There was always a noticable dip in power in about a third of the way into the acceleration curve. On humid days it was even worse.

Today I finally took my Jeep in for a first visit to the Professionals. In addition to several other minor issues, I mentioned the dip in power to the Service Rep.

They did a reflash on one of the Modules and I can't believe the difference in performance. It seriously feels like a completely different machine. Noticably more horse power thru the entire acceleration curve. Can't believe I drove this for 20 months without knowing there was a remedy.

rac-jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
redrockin7
2008 JK Wrangler 

By professionals you mean the dealer?

Interesting observation... I'll keep it in mind when/if mine begins to feel sluggish. I mean, it feels slow compared to my previous vehicles (350z, etc.) but for a big heavy JEEP it moves fine up to 80mph and almost got me a speeding ticket the other day. So... it can't be that slow...

However, I will confirm that a flash will definitely help out in some circumstances. I had a bunch of "bolt-ons" on my 350 and ran it lean for a while. Reflashed the ECU and had the curve set-up to "match" the modifications and picked up a good 15hp and 16tq at the wheels... Wouldn't expect this same kind of gains flashing a stock vehicle, but hey it can't hurt I guess?
redrockin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
OffTheGrid
2008 JK Wrangler 

Can you provide more specifics, like which module and why they flashed it?
OffTheGrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
rac-jeep

Yes. "Professionals" = Dealer Service

As far as the specifics. Looking at my invoice here is all I see (I will ask for details)

181906c1,.4 hour,fc-zz
85410000,.4 hour perform drive test-ck. fuel pressure,ck. for codes,star scan tested,no dtcs-
no freeze frame data-test drove ---perform tsb---flash pcm---

That is all I got right now!

Last edited by rac-jeep; 02-16-2009 at 07:57 PM..
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

So not to call you out or anything - maybe I misread - but could it be that you've had the Jeep for 20 months and just brought it in for your first service be the reason it now runs decent?

(If you do your own maint and just brought it in because it was driving fubar, I retract my comment)
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
rac-jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteDriver View Post
So not to call you out or anything - maybe I misread - but could it be that you've had the Jeep for 20 months and just brought it in for your first service be the reason it now runs decent?

(If you do your own maint and just brought it in because it was driving fubar, I retract my comment)
Not certain I understand. Not feeling called out!

Yes. First time I've brought the Jeep in for Dealer Service. Only thing that really made me go in for service was a broken windshield and a recall that I'd never addressed. Otherwise I do tend to do a bit of self-service.

I was completely ignorant of the Engine Performance issue. I just sort of assumed that it was my expectations being too high. I really didn't know that it was a real "issue" - not really fubar.

Just really delighted with the results and wanted to share my experience.
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Gotcha. Cool to know.
Unread 02-17-2009, 04:06 AM   #8
y2k8jeep

I asked a friend who works for a dealer about this. He indeed said there was a TSB and that re-flashing was worth another 15 hp or so. He then showed me a trail behind the dealer and told me if I were to follow the trail I'd find a leprechaun who would gladly give me some gold coins as he had a pot full of them.....my buddy said I might use them to help pay for a hemi swap if I so desired....
y2k8jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
Dryfter
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k8jeep View Post
I asked a friend who works for a dealer about this. He indeed said there was a TSB and that re-flashing was worth another 15 hp or so. He then showed me a trail behind the dealer and told me if I were to follow the trail I'd find a leprechaun who would gladly give me some gold coins as he had a pot full of them.....my buddy said I might use them to help pay for a hemi swap if I so desired....
What dealer you going to? I could use a pot of gold...
Dryfter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
rac-jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k8jeep View Post
Thanks for the helpful and insightful post. It was every bit as constructive as I am sure you intended.
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
rac-jeep

Now...

...for anyone who would like the information about the Flash performed on my Jeep yesterday.

Just got off the phone with Brook, the Service Advisor at my local dealer. He said that the Flash is referenced by the TSB Number(s). This one has two TSB Numbers which reference the same Flash.

They are:
21-018-08
08-023-07

I smiled the entire commute to work this morning. Smooth and even performance through all gears.
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
rac-jeep

I just looked up those TSBs and don't see exactly what they seem to have to do with my symptoms/fix, but it did the job.
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #13
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac-jeep View Post
Now...

...for anyone who would like the information about the Flash performed on my Jeep yesterday.

Just got off the phone with Brook, the Service Advisor at my local dealer. He said that the Flash is referenced by the TSB Number(s). This one has two TSB Numbers which reference the same Flash.

They are:
21-018-08
08-023-07

I smiled the entire commute to work this morning. Smooth and even performance through all gears.
NUMBER: 21-018-08 REV. A
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: September 17, 2008

SUBJECT:
Flash: Diagnostic Trouble Code DTC P0740 Or P1798 And Automatic Transmission Shift Improvements 1-2 Or 2-3 Cold Shift Improvements

MODEL:
2007 - 2008 (JK) Wrangler
NOTE: This Bulletin applies to LX/LE models equipped with a 42 RLE transmission (Sales Code DGV) built before April 28, 2008 (0428XXMDH). This Bulletin applies to all 2008 KA/KK/HB/DR and 2007 - 2008 **JK**/ND vehicles equipped with a 42 RLE transmission (Sales Code DGV).

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The software contains the following improvements:
2008 LX 3.5L 1-2 Shift Improvements
Cold (Transmission Fluid below 80 F) 2-3 Shift Improvements

Some customers may experience one or more of the concerns as follows:
A MIL illumination for P0740 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit/Open
A DTC set active or stored for P1798 - Transmission Fluid Deteriorated

Do not confuse this condition for an Oil Change Monitor alert due to the Oil Change Monitor not being reset following an oil change.

That flash most likely explains your JK waking up.
AEV: Hood, Skidplate & Bumper, jackstand and Badging Expedition One Rear Bumper,RE 4.5" Long Arm Kit,5.13s, Black Riddler Diff Covers, Hypertech Airaid CAI, PIAA 540s w/flush mounted switch, Flowmaster 40, 325/60/22 BFGs and the list goes on...
SaharaBlackNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #14
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

And the second one is:
NUMBER: 08-023-07
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: October 06, 2007

SUBJECT:
Long Crank Time Due To Possible Contact Of Camshaft Sensor To Camshaft Gear

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the engine camshaft sensor.

MODELS:
2007 (JK) Wrangler

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience one of the following conditions:

a). Long engine crank time.
b). Two engine start attempts prior to engine starting.
c). Due to the “TIP Start Feature” on automatic transmission equipped vehicles, once the ignition key / switch has been released from the “START” position, the starter may stay engaged for up to 10 seconds while the engine attempts to start.

The above conditions may be due to the position of the camshaft sensor to the camshaft gear. The sensor spacer gasket may have come loose during engine assembly and caused the camshaft sensor to be adjusted too close or in contact with the camshaft gear.
AEV: Hood, Skidplate & Bumper, jackstand and Badging Expedition One Rear Bumper,RE 4.5" Long Arm Kit,5.13s, Black Riddler Diff Covers, Hypertech Airaid CAI, PIAA 540s w/flush mounted switch, Flowmaster 40, 325/60/22 BFGs and the list goes on...
SaharaBlackNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
rac-jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post
That flash most likely explains your JK waking up.
I saw that, but but was confused because I have a 6 Speed Manual Transmission and this seems targeted at an Auto Transmission issue (unless I am reading it incorrectly)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.