Fixing Clock Spring on 2007 JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Fixing Clock Spring on 2007 JK

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 08-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Luckyleighton
2007 JK Wrangler 

Fixing Clock Spring on 2007 JK

Just wanted to share my do it yourself fix experiment.

My 2007 Unlimited X had the annoying airbag light/ding going off randomly (but frequently). Also my cruise stopped working (The light comes on, but the controls never do anything). Reading around it all pointed to the Clock Spring.

The Dealer wanted to charge me about $500+ for the replacement. I bought the part off of Ebay for $195 and decided to replace it myself.

Before you start disconnect the negative battery terminal for at least 10 minutes (to make sure the power is removed from the airbag).

First I removed the shroud around the steering column, held on by three T20 Torque screws. One in view directly under the shroud, and two deep in some wells also under the shroud.

Second was removal of the airbag. I used this to help me. It explains the clips that hold it on. They were not easy to remove and as it says, that is the hardest part of the job. With the airbag loose I removed two connectors attached to the airbag and set it to the side.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/m...nstall-581279/

Once I got it off, I disconnected a small connector that connected the steering wheel to the clock spring. Then I removed the steering wheel Bolt (13mm socket using an extension) and wiggled the steering wheel til it came off.

The Clock Spring itself is the only thing left. It is held on by three T20 Torque screws, and 2 phillips head screws hold the blinker and wiper arms to the housing. I removed those and wiggled it a bit to get it loose. Then I placed the new one in there and reversed all that I did above.

I would say it took me 2 hours a night for 2 nights, but that included me being super careful, searching the web when I had concerns and heading to the hardware store to get me a flexible torque screwdriver for one hard to get screw. It wasn't that difficult.

I drove it only about 6 miles after I put it all back together. The good news is the airbag light did not go off one time. So I think I fixed that. Bad news is my cruise control still did not work. At least I got rid of the annoying noise. I will be looking into other things that may cause the cruise problem.

I wrote this up mainly because I didn't see as many for fixing the clock spring on a JK...only on older models. Hopefully this helps someone save some money for beer, rather than paying the dealership any .

Luckyleighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

Great write up. Too bad you didn't take pics, but it sounds pretty self explanatory.
Unread 08-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

I agree. Great write up. Hope I never need it!
davidsonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 04:58 AM   #4
Luckyleighton
2007 JK Wrangler 

I thought about taking pics, but I thought there were some good ones on the forum I pointed too. And my laziness of getting up and getting the camera came into play.

Two more tips I forgot to mention. When taking the steering wheel off, in order to avoid ramming it into my face I left the center bolt in 2 threads or so. This made it act like a stop when the wheel actually came loose. Then I removed the bolt and the wheel came off.

Also, the new clock spring will come with a tab holding it into place. This tab should not be removed until the steering wheel is in place. This stops the clock spring from spinning, and makes for easy alignment.
Luckyleighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Boy, that little sucker sure isnít cheap. Nice write-up.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
marenmom
2007 JK Wrangler 

Clock spring fiasco

First the horn stopped working, then the airbag light and that annoying *Ding*
I called chrysler and they confirmed it's the clock spring. They told me they have extended the warranty for 10 years and to take it back to the dealer. I made an appointment let's see if they try to charge me for this...
Being that I'm a girl!!! hahaha I can't wait to school !
marenmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.