JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Fixes for Tire rubbing front Sway bar (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/fixes-tire-rubbing-front-sway-bar-1537661/)

cj7guy 06-17-2013 12:31 PM

Fixes for Tire rubbing front Sway bar
 
I have slightly upsized tires on my JKU, and they rub the sway bar at full lock.

I wouldn't normally care, but the JKU turning radius is already pretty wide. I refuse to lift to fix this because I can already clear the tires I have.

I was considering removing the sway bar altogether, but I do drive it on the highway a good bit so I'd prefer not to lose the handling advantages of the sway bar.

Does anyone make a slimmer profile sway bar? This stock one sticks out further than necessary into the wheel well.

RockyClymer 06-17-2013 12:37 PM

What size tires? Perhaps you need to move the wheel further out if still running stock rims?

cj7guy 06-17-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyClymer (Post 15572496)
What size tires? Perhaps you need to move the wheel further out if still running stock rims?

I am on stock rims, I think the tires are 285/70 17s.

I'm hesitant to go wider because I like to run doorless and I don't want rocks and other debris flying up. Right now the fenders keep the crap from flying. Also, wider fenders are out of the question.

I mean, the sway bar is the offending item...I want to move/trim/modify it if at all possible.

I may end up just removing it or getting a local shop to fab a new one.

ncb 06-17-2013 12:49 PM

Wheels with 4.5" of back spacing or 1.5" spacers will fix it. I had the same size tires with 4.5" back spaced wheels and they were even with the fenders.

Noxian 06-17-2013 12:54 PM

You could add some washer to your steering stops, but you will end up with the same radius the only solution is adding more back spacing otherwise.

brianjw 06-17-2013 01:03 PM

So you're saying your tires rub in one sentence, then saying that they clear in the next sentence. If they rub, they don't really clear. ;)

You need either small wheel spacers or wheels that are the proper size and backspace. AEV wheels are probably the best fit for what you want without being really wide.

You could look into the teraflex dual rate sway bar, currie anti-rock etc and see it they may offer any more clearance. It would be minimal if any. Personally Id sell the stock wheels and buy AEV "jk specific" wheels, leave the rest alone.

ncb 06-17-2013 01:07 PM

OP is saying he can clear the tires height wise in the "next" sentence.

cj7guy 06-17-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianjw (Post 15572615)
So you're saying your tires rub in one sentence, then saying that they clear in the next sentence. If they rub, they don't really clear. ;)

You know what I mean....they clear the body, the frame, and every other component....except the sway bar. Basically, I have no valid reason to raise my COG.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianjw (Post 15572615)
You need either small wheel spacers or wheels that are the proper size and backspace. AEV wheels are probably the best fit for what you want without being really wide.

You could look into the teraflex dual rate sway bar, currie anti-rock etc and see it they may offer any more clearance. It would be minimal if any. Personally Id sell the stock wheels and buy AEV "jk specific" wheels, leave the rest alone.

Thanks for the input, maybe the AEVs won't make me wide enough for the tires to throw too much debris up at me.



I really like my current setup and was hoping there was a fix for this sway bar issue that wouldn't require me to change anything except the sway bar. Looks like I'll keep rubbing for a short while until I decide which fix will work best.

If anyone has modified the sway bar setup to get out of the way of the tires, I'd love to hear from you.

Has anyone just removed it altogether and can report on highway manners?

mello 06-17-2013 01:35 PM

Removing front sway bar would give you scary road manners. This would specially hold true on high speed maneuvers and curvy roads.

cj7guy 06-20-2013 12:16 AM

I removed the front sway bar from the JKU and it drives noticeably differently in the corners. It's not scary though, I took some twistys at 60-70 and it was a little twitchier but still manageable.

hrd2plz 06-20-2013 01:09 AM

Not a safe idea...:PopCorn:

GauchoMark 06-20-2013 07:38 AM

Normal driving without a front sway bar isn't that big of a deal - I had a previous lifted 4x4 vehicle that I drove without a sway bar quite a bit (because teh links kept breaking). Emergency maneuvers without a sway bar is scary. I wouldn't recommend it for a street vehicle.

sieg 06-20-2013 08:36 AM

[QUOTE=cj7guy;15572469]I have slightly upsized tires on my JKU, and they rub the sway bar at full lock.

I wouldn't normally care, but the JKU turning radius is already pretty wide.
QUOTE]

How far from the stops are you when it rubs? It's probably at full lock anyway, therefore not restricting your turning radius. Let it rub, what will it hurt? My tires rub the control arms at full lock, it doesn't seen to hurt anything but the paint on the control arms. You are going slow and not very far at full lock anyway.

SubAtomicGenius 06-20-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj7guy (Post 15572513)
I am on stock rims, I think the tires are 285/70 17s.

I'm hesitant to go wider because I like to run doorless and I don't want rocks and other debris flying up. Right now the fenders keep the crap from flying. Also, wider fenders are out of the question.

I mean, the sway bar is the offending item...I want to move/trim/modify it if at all possible.

I may end up just removing it or getting a local shop to fab a new one.

Incorrect backspacing using stock wheels is the offending item. Big tires = bigger clearance required, and yes, they'll stick outside your flares then.

Personally, I wouldn't run on the street without swaybar links. First I'd go with proper backspace wheels, perhaps a Currie antirock setup (?), or spacers (in that order!). :)

michiganmaveric 06-20-2013 05:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
For what it is worth, ADDCO makes larger diameter sway bars for the front and rear. I went bigger in my tires and had the same rubbing issue on the sway bar. I ordered both ADDCO's from Kolak and now I do not have the rubbing issue any more in the front. I am not saying that you would get the same clearance as they may make the bars a little different each time, not sure. I ordered the ADDCO's to try and help in the handling department, but did not see anything of value in that department for the price. Here are some pic's of the 2 bars together, the ADDCO is the black one on the bottom and the stock is on the top.


The time now is 08:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.