Fixed - Door Leaks on '07 Soft Top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Fixed - Door Leaks on '07 Soft Top

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
Sieran
2007 JK Wrangler 

Fixed - Door Leaks on '07 Soft Top

Ok, I am sick and tired of this water leaking over my door, so I decided to try and fix it myself since the dealer just gave me the cold shoulder again.

Here are a few pics of what I think may be the problem after doing a few water tests.

In this pic, you see the removable plastic door seal pressing against the rubber seal of the windshield.

Now with it removed, you can see where water was leaking through.

Now, here is something that I tried that did fix the leak... but would be ugly as hell if I take the doors off. All i used was some 3/4 inch rubber foam tape. The pressure that it put on that rubber gasket was enough to keep the leaks out.

I bought some 3M Silicone sealant from an automotive paint store and am using it because it stays somewhat "tacky" but won’t stick together and I think it will make a good gasket with the pressure of the closed door on it.

First, I put some in that rubber gasket... I put it on a little thick because I figured it would thin out a little as it dried... and I want to layer it up so there is more of a snug fit when the door shuts.

Then, I coated the tip of the plastic door piece also to make sure it makes good contact.

Here is the passenger side.

Both door parts

It takes 24 hours to fully cure, so I will test this tomorrow when I get home and let you all know if it worked.

-- update--

Even though it is not totally cured, I put the parts back together.

I must have dumped over a gallon of water on that part of the door and could not get it to leak again. Before I put this silicone on, it would drip within a few seconds and I would have nearly a steady stream of water on the inside.

I'm not sure of the permanence of this fix, as I kind of rushed the application of the silicone. I am sure if I prepped this better and put a more consistent coat on it would look a little better, but with all the parts on and the top down, you can't even tell it was done even with the doors open/off.

Last edited by Sieran; 03-19-2008 at 09:13 AM..
Sieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
dstephns
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wow! Thanks for the photos and writeup. I'm sure many will be interested in this. Thanks again.
dstephns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
Sieran
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks.

I think the best part is all of this can be removed if there are any issues down the road.

The silicone does not totally bond to the plastic or rubber, and can be peeled/cleaned off with a little work and returned to stock.

This way if it does not fix your problem, you can remove it and take it to the dealer.
Unread 02-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
XWind
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for info and the pics. Gonna try it tonite - I only get the slow leaks on the drivers side but the dealer pretty much gave me the run-around when I brought it in.
XWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

I am definately going to give this a shot!
"The Smurf": --Pic 1-- --Pic 2-- --Pic 3-- --Pic 4--
Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--
BrettDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Sieran
2007 JK Wrangler 

cool...

let me know how you fare.
Unread 02-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieran View Post
cool...

let me know how you fare.
I have to wait till I can have enough time for the silicone to dry, hard to do right now, but I'll get a chance and will post the results when I do.
"The Smurf": --Pic 1-- --Pic 2-- --Pic 3-- --Pic 4--
Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--
BrettDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

I wonder if by doing your own fix, you risk forever getting it fixed under warranty, under the theory of, "you messed with it, so you voided your warranty in this area."
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
Sieran
2007 JK Wrangler 

Don't know how they could tell.

The silicone will pull off of the plastic parts and you could never tell it was there...

Now on the other hand, if I were to sand the parts down and give it something to grab on to, I think it would be quite a bit more permanent. However, I don't think it is needed. It's not like there is much wear on these parts... unless you take off and put on your doors every day?

Either way... it takes 10 minutes to apply, and will be hard enough to put back together in about 12 hours, cured in 24.

--edit--

Besides, I have it documented 5 times that I was to the dealer for this leak. On the last one I had them hand write a note that it was still not fixed properly and still leaked.

If they do come up with a working fix, I’ll be damned if they deny me because they couldn't get their own head out of their asses and make a real attempt at fixing it.
Unread 03-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
XWind
2007 JK Wrangler 

Any luck Sieran?? I did the 3M gasket trick on my door and it worked -- several heavy rains came through and it didnt leak inside.

I did not try adding the silicone sealant like you did, however...Can you get that at any automotive store? And how did the sealant fare for you ??
XWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #11
Sieran
2007 JK Wrangler 

So far it has worked great.

With all the rain we have gotten in Texas over the last couple days I have not had any drops on the inside on my driver side, and only 1 drop on my passenger side (other than when I open the doors).

I'm thinking once it warms up some more outside and I can have the doors off for more than a couple days Iím going to re-apply the sealant to make it a little more consistent. I did a rush job that day because some dark clouds were rolling in and was going to be cold the next day.

I went to a collision center thinking they would have something like that, and they told me that any auto-paint store should have a tube or two of it on hand.

Sieran
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #12
wrnglrguy
2008 JK Wrangler 

You know, there is a TSB out for that now. I just had it done on mine. No more leaking. TSB # 23-041-07
wrnglrguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.