First Time Lift Advice Needed! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > First Time Lift Advice Needed!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 08-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
cjmalico
2012 JK Wrangler 

First Time Lift Advice Needed!

Hey everyone,

Been an owner of a couple of Wranglers over the years and am finally ready to pull the trigger on a lift kit.

My current Wrangler is a 2012 2-Door with a Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Front Bumper kit and Q9000 Winch. It is my daily driver and am looking for a little more ground clearance and something to start some beginner off-roading.

I am thinking of a 2" or 2.5" suspension lift and appropriately sized tires, which I think would be 32s or 33s, and rims but not sure whether alloy or steel is the way to go.

Any help/advice on specific brands or products for this lift newb would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cjmalico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Eagles77
2008 JK Wrangler 

You don't need a lift to run 33"s
I've got a 2.5" suspension lift and ran 33"s for a while but knew I would be going to 35"a one day. If I didn't I woulda just done a level kit and 33"s. Steel wheels are heavy, cheaper and great for hard off roading.

Lots of great threads to read on here and lots of great help and opinions! Remember at the end of the day, it's what you like not someone else!
Best of luck!!
Eagles77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
1972cutlass
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am running a terraflex kit on a 2007 JKU. I have been happy with it, but have limited experience with any others. currently has 35x12.50r20 Toyo MTR's
1972cutlass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

I ran a teraflex BB for 80k and it served me well. 33's and 35's. I only went to some springs because the stock rear springs were sagging pretty good when I was loaded up and had the trailer hooked up.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Eagles77 is correct. You do not need a lift to run 32's or 33's.
Rubicons come stock with 32's (actually about 31-ish").

I'd recommend going with the minimal amount of lift necessary to fit what size tires you want. Reduces center-of-gravity, angles on driveshafts, better ride overall, ohhh...and co$t!

For 35's, you will need about a 2.5" lift.
For 37's, a 2.5" lift and flat fenders. <---What I did.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lift advice , newbie , rims , tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.