First part of my build - wheels n tires - keep me from a mistake, please! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > First part of my build - wheels n tires - keep me from a mistake, please!

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
ken800

First part of my build - wheels n tires - keep me from a mistake, please!

Ok, I've finally got my 2014 JK in my posession. I've researched, searched, read, studied, and so on. I have a JKU sport with a 3.73 rear end. I'll do some light to moderate off road but nothing crazy... I won't be lifting more than 1.5-2.5". I'll probably get the teraflex budget boost with shocks but may change to the spring version. I don't know just yet.

Wheels and tires:

-Level 8 tracker black 16x8.5 with 4.5" backspace
-spline lugs to compensate for non hub-centric wheels
-Goodyear duratrac 285 75 16
-Transfer stock TPMS to level 8 wheels
-Lifetime Digital Balance Rotate
-TPMS "rebuild kit" which I know isn't necessary but if I don't buy it, they won't warranty the transfer of the TPMS which they are doing free of charge.

Total out the door TT&L for everything is $1509 for 4 wheels, tires, mounting, balancing, new lugs, and TPMS transfer. There's currenty a $60 rebate on the GY so call it $1449 out the door.

Anything I'm doing that is horribly wrong here??? If I need to get a procal to be able to lower the TPMS threshold, I'll do that. I don't plan on going bigger as this is a DD first and an offroad rig far second. I wanted the 16" because the tires are at least $50 per tire cheaper and that plus not having to buy spacers (for 285/70/17) pays for 3 of the 4 rims. Yeah, only 4. I have the 32" Goodyear SRA on there. I'll get a decent tire cover and yes, I know that's gauche. So be it.

ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Sounds good to me...do it.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

The only thing I see horribly wrong is that you don't have a matching spare. Just get five. Rotate all five. You'll drive more miles before needing a new set and have a usable, matching spare.

Personally I'd ditch the tpms sensors (sell them with the stock wheel set), buy a procal (you'll want it anyway) and disable the tpms.

Good choice in wheel and tire size though!
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
ken800

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
The only thing I see horribly wrong is that you don't have a matching spare. Just get five. Rotate all five. You'll drive more miles before needing a new set and have a usable, matching spare.

Personally I'd ditch the tpms sensors (sell them with the stock wheel set), buy a procal (you'll want it anyway) and disable the tpms.

Good choice in wheel and tire size though!
Thanks for the feedback.

I thought about getting 5, but in all honesty, I've got the stock 32" SR-As. The difference isn't enough to worry about if I need to make a run home from the offroad park to the nearest tire place. The other thing I didn't want to do is open pandora's box. I can't determine if the new wheel/tire will fit on the stock tire mount. Even if it will, I'm not comfortable with that much extra weight. On my TJ, the tailgate sagged a little. A new carrier bumper perhaps? Oh yeah, now I have spring considerations. I just didn't want a can o worms. I'll get a tire cover and be a dork.
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Haha. Well I see your point. I super stress when I put my 29er on a bike rack, on the 35 on the stock mount. A new bumper is in the plans but so are a hundred other things....
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Oops I forgot the thing I tell everyone! Get a full suspension bolt kit from synergy. The stock bolts are all threaded full length and eat up the inside of the bushing sleeves, more so with bigger tires. The track bar bolts are the same way, but actually undersized for the holes which creates more slop and damages the mounting holes over time. Well worth the $100 and change and the time to replace the bolts.

Do it when you lift the jeep as you'll want to loosen all of the bolts in the process anyway as to not preload the bushings in the wrong place.
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
suicideking
2012 JK Wrangler 

I also agree with ditching the TPMS. Just get the Procal and turn off the indicator light. Otherwise you will have to keep swapping them every time you buy new wheels.

The other problem I see is that you're buying 285's which are roughly 33's. I did the same, bought 285 X 16 BFG AT and ran them without a lift. for a bit. Once I lifted, they looked too small and decided I wanted MT anyway. Sold them after 9 months or so for about half of what I paid and bought 35 X 12.5 X 15.

So go wheeling first. Decide if you will be happy with 33's. If not, get the 35's.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
ken800

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
Oops I forgot the thing I tell everyone! Get a full suspension bolt kit from synergy. The stock bolts are all threaded full length and eat up the inside of the bushing sleeves, more so with bigger tires. The track bar bolts are the same way, but actually undersized for the holes which creates more slop and damages the mounting holes over time. Well worth the $100 and change and the time to replace the bolts.

Do it when you lift the jeep as you'll want to loosen all of the bolts in the process anyway as to not preload the bushings in the wrong place.
Awesome. Thanks for that tidbit. I'll get the kit when I put on a lift. Which kit are you referring to? There is an upper and lower. I think each "half" is about 80 bucks or 165 or so for the full kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
I also agree with ditching the TPMS. Just get the Procal and turn off the indicator light. Otherwise you will have to keep swapping them every time you buy new wheels.

The other problem I see is that you're buying 285's which are roughly 33's. I did the same, bought 285 X 16 BFG AT and ran them without a lift. for a bit. Once I lifted, they looked too small and decided I wanted MT anyway. Sold them after 9 months or so for about half of what I paid and bought 35 X 12.5 X 15.

So go wheeling first. Decide if you will be happy with 33's. If not, get the 35's.
I've seen a few vehicles with 2.5" lifts and 33's and I don't think they look too small. I know a lot of people like the look of a big tire with not a whole lot of "open space" around it. I kind of prefer the look with a little more. In terms of a lift, the absolute max I'll be going is 2.5" anyway, so I think I'm on the margin anyway. I can't decide if I just want to put a teraflex professional leveling kit (springs) which is worth about 1.5 or the teraflex budget boost with shocks (worth about 2.5). Either way I don't think the true 33" tire (285 75 is listed at 33.1") will look too small under either of those. As much as I'd love to go 3.5"+ with 35s, this is a DD first and I need to keep it reasonable. Maybe when it's paid off and has some wear and tear, I'll go really big. That's a few years off, though.

Last edited by ken800; 10-29-2013 at 08:14 AM..
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Get the full bolt kit. The track bars and lower control arm bolts take the brunt of the force but you might as well do it all once and save the headache later.
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
suicideking
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken800 View Post
Awesome. Thanks for that tidbit. I'll get the kit when I put on a lift. Which kit are you referring to? There is an upper and lower. I think each "half" is about 80 bucks or 165 or so for the full kit.

I've seen a few vehicles with 2.5" lifts and 33's and I don't think they look too small. I know a lot of people like the look of a big tire with not a whole lot of "open space" around it. I kind of prefer the look with a little more. In terms of a lift, the absolute max I'll be going is 2.5" anyway, so I think I'm on the margin anyway. I can't decide if I just want to put a teraflex professional leveling kit (springs) which is worth about 1.5 or the teraflex budget boost with shocks (worth about 2.5). Either way I don't think the true 33" tire (285 75 is listed at 33.1") will look too small under either of those. As much as I'd love to go 3.5"+ with 35s, this is a DD first and I need to keep it reasonable. Maybe when it's paid off and has some wear and tear, I'll go really big. That's a few years off, though.
Makes sense, just make sure that's what you want. Don't be like me!

Definitely advise going for the springs and shocks over a budget boost. The BB will eventually make your springs sag + they tend to have poor ride quality.

You could also do 33's, no lift and flat fenders. It will look lifted. Depending on your setup, you could also get the 19/60 springs and Rubi shocks. Could get you around 1.5" higher tops. The Teraflex pro setup would get my vote though. Or any lift that gives you around 2". 2.5" tops.
Unread 10-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #11
suicideking
2012 JK Wrangler 

Here's 285 X 16 with no lift, then with 2.5" RK lift

Unread 10-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
ken800

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
Here's 285 X 16 with no lift, then with 2.5" RK lift

[/URL]
Very nice!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.