First Oil Change at 8000 miles. - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > First Oil Change at 8000 miles.

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #61
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
Stupid people need more warnings.
It's crazy. Between government mandated crap and lawyer BS, even benign products have pages and pages of boilerplate. Hence no one reads any of it.

I recently purchased a universal TV remote which warned in big letters that failure to follow the warnings would result in injury or death. I'm not sure how.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #62
dgsholar
2014 JK Wrangler 

Just curious why folks are using 5w30 instead of 5w20 as Jeep recommends? Any thoughts?
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #63
TheLazyC
2013 JK Wrangler 

My 2013 JKU Oil reminder just came on just over 8000 miles. I do not believe that oil should be changed every 3000. That is the dealership and Quick Oil Change places way of generating revenue.

With the newer oils and synthectics, 3000 miles is too early.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited [/B][/COLOR]
Freedom Edition Oscar Mike Package
3" BDS Suspension Lift
Mickey Thompson 17"x9" Classic Lock Black wheels
Mickey Thompson 35X12.50R17LT Baja ATZ Radial
Mopar Running Boards
Mastercraft Sport Handles
Rugged Ridge A-Pillar POD
KC HiLite SlimLime-Driving
AEV PROCAL
TheLazyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #64
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Years ago, when the certain 07/08 jeeps started to use a LOTTA OIL-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgsholar View Post
Just curious why folks are using 5w30 instead of 5w20 as Jeep recommends? Any thoughts?
The trend to move to a more dense/thicker/heavier oil started--now (2012) jeep recommends 5w-30 anyway and the 3.6l v6 has more moving parts, than the 3.8l v6 !

I've used 5w-30 Mobile one since 1200 miles on my '08 JKUR, she doesn't use any oil between changes (once a year) regardless of mileage-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #65
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLazyC View Post
My 2013 JKU Oil reminder just came on just over 8000 miles. I do not believe that oil should be changed every 3000. That is the dealership and Quick Oil Change places way of generating revenue.

With the newer oils and synthetics, 3000 miles is too early.
Unless you have a DI engine or a known sludger, 5000 is even pretty conservative on most good conventional oils.

Aside from consumption issues on the 3.8 - neither engine is really hard on oil and 8-10K on a good synthetic should be pretty safe.
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #66
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Years ago, when the certain 07/08 jeeps started to use a LOTTA OIL-

The trend to move to a more dense/thicker/heavier oil started--now (2012) jeep recommends 5w-30 anyway and the 3.6l v6 has more moving parts, than the 3.8l v6 !

I've used 5w-30 Mobile one since 1200 miles on my '08 JKUR, she doesn't use any oil between changes (once a year) regardless of mileage-

JIMBO

We had one of the 3.8s that burnt a lot of oil and knocked and it was spec'd for 5w-20. However, to keep the powertrane warranty in effect, it never saw any 0/5/10w-30 oil. 30 grade oil may have helped, but it would have voided the warranty if the engine ever did let go.

The question is - did Chrysler ever update the engine to be able to effectively use 5w-20 oils?

Honda and Ford did - and their engines have excellent durability on light oils.

I think the 2013 3.6 specify 5w-20. A few people speculate it's because 5w-20 can move heat away quicker than heavier oils and that a thermo design flaw was causing the ticking issues.
Unread 09-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #67
dgsholar
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBIII
Jeep owners manual... whats that? Mine in my '14 was more like a pamphlet. Replaced by a DVD which is still in the shrink wrap in my console.
You can Jeep and get the full manual. I did, got it in 3 days. Almost 700 pages. My DVD was a pain to use...
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #68
COStrider

[QUOTE="wingit"]

Can I have it? LOL

The perfectly good oil or the coupon or both?
COStrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #69
sjudson61

4 Oil changes Free

Went to my dealer today for a oil filter(1000 Mile) and to ask them about syntenic oil. They said that the first 4 oil changes were on them no matter what the milage was. Dealer said that the 3.6 needed to break in on standard oil or there would be high oil consumption. He said after 4 oil changes in a reasonable mileage range syntenic would be fine.
sjudson61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #70
nkisu82

New to the Jeep Family

Ok, so back in July I bough a '13 Jeep Wrangler. It says in my owners manual not to change the oil until the message center says to. but not to go over 10000 miles. so at about 9500 I was gonna call and schedule my first oil change, and the message center magically went off...lol...when I went to the dealer for my oil change, I got scolded very rudely by the mechanic and told that they do not recommend more than 3000 mi. Now I may be a girl, but my Grandfather was a mechanic back in the day, and I'm not completely na´ve. but this one baffles me. If I check the oil and it looks good and I'm not low...why shouldn't I follow the owners manuals' instructions. I want an honest opinion on if my mechanic is just trying to get more money out of me by making me come in for an oil change 3 times as often as I really need to, or if the people who wrote my owners manual made a mistake.
nkisu82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #71
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

The oil will last quite a bit longer than that. It's marketing. I usually wait until at least 6 - 7K miles unless it's looking really beat. You can go longer than that on synthetic.
Unread 03-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #72
wingit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkisu82 View Post
Ok, so back in July I bough a '13 Jeep Wrangler. It says in my owners manual not to change the oil until the message center says to. but not to go over 10000 miles. so at about 9500 I was gonna call and schedule my first oil change, and the message center magically went off...lol...when I went to the dealer for my oil change, I got scolded very rudely by the mechanic and told that they do not recommend more than 3000 mi. Now I may be a girl, but my Grandfather was a mechanic back in the day, and I'm not completely na´ve. but this one baffles me. If I check the oil and it looks good and I'm not low...why shouldn't I follow the owners manuals' instructions. I want an honest opinion on if my mechanic is just trying to get more money out of me by making me come in for an oil change 3 times as often as I really need to, or if the people who wrote my owners manual made a mistake.
If you follow the owners manual they can not void your warranty. The engineers at Jeep know way more than that mechanic. That being said I would never go that long between oil changes. Fresh oil is just cheap insurance policy.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/wingit/wrangler][IMG]http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/204189.png[/IMG][/URL]
wingit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #73
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Dino oil often
Unread 03-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #74
wingit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjudson61 View Post
Went to my dealer today for a oil filter(1000 Mile) and to ask them about syntenic oil. They said that the first 4 oil changes were on them no matter what the milage was. Dealer said that the 3.6 needed to break in on standard oil or there would be high oil consumption. He said after 4 oil changes in a reasonable mileage range syntenic would be fine.
He would be correct. Engine parts need to mate. This is done by friction and wearing of two surfaces. Once this happens then that will be the optimal time to switch. Average engine is 5k to 10k miles.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/wingit/wrangler][IMG]http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/204189.png[/IMG][/URL]
wingit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #75
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Don't ever assume that the/a dealer CAN"T void your warranty-

A dealer can void your warranty if he doesn't like your sunglasses/shoes/missing JEEP decal,they can void your entire warranty ANYTIME--

Wrong--you bet, but if it happens, everything legal/policy adherance/compliance-is UP TO YOU to straighten out--

This isn't a GENERAL policy, but it does happen-so be careful/courteous/LOGICAL and don't rock a boat, unless you're willing to do a lotta phone/manager/sometimes legal manuevers-

90% normal dealer relations--10% nightmare Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.