First Oil Change at 8000 miles. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > First Oil Change at 8000 miles.

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #31
wingit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryP33 View Post
When I picked up the JK during delivery last week, the dealer said I get a free first oil change... they will be giving me a call to schedule bringing it in. After we got home, my wife chuckled and asked if I was going to take them up on it. She could tell by the look on my face that nothing, not even a free oil change, is free. It ain’t going to happen.

Can I have it? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar11d2 View Post
Oil is cheap. Engines are expensive. Do it yourself in your driveway.
I used to change mine all the time. With their plan it is cheaper than changing it in your driveway. Plus they keep a record of it being done (In my case early) so there is no confusion if there is engine problems. Since they seem to be prone to head problems I would rather them not have an excuse not to pay for it.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/wingit/wrangler][IMG]http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/204189.png[/IMG][/URL]
wingit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #32
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
From what I've been reading, those indicators are actually pretty accurate. For years oil changes have been overspec'd on the precautionary side. The indicator monitors your actual driving conditions.
Everything I've read leads me to believe this too.
I will wait for the light but not exceed around 5k, trust but verify!
Unread 09-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #33
JKPaul
2012 JK Wrangler 

For me 1st change at 1500 miles, then every 3000 miles on all my vehicles. Regular synthetic. Cost at my dealer in Canada is around $150, crazy stupid. My certified non-dealer mechanic, $85 and unlike the idiot at the dealer he actually tightens the oil filter so it doesn't spray all over the frickin' Jeep.

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.......'!
JKPaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #34
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Heh Heh, if you trust that light, good luck

I never see any dealer (so far), I changed my oil to mobile one (5w-30) at 1100 miles and the light came on again at 9800 miles--KEWL !

The jeep has always been used off road, not hiwy-

The more you do for yourself, the better you know your jeep and the safer you are-

Just doit right. when you have a question--ask here, you getta lotta answers and most are correct !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #35
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbasham View Post
Also, I'm not interested in turning this thread into an aurgument on how long between oil changes but if anyone else has heard of the newer jeeps going up to 8000 miles /6 months before the first oil change from the dealerships.
The manual says 10000 miles not 8000 miles. I had over 9000 miles on my 2013 JK before I had my first oil change.

Mike
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #36
JKPaul
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post
The manual says 10000 miles not 8000 miles. I had over 9000 miles on my 2013 JK before I had my first oil change.

Mike

Your manual must be different than mine. It does say 8000 in at least 2 different sections. 9000 miles is way too many miles....IMHO!

From the 2012 JK Manual:

Change Engine Oil

The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance. Refer to “Maintenance Schedule” for further information.

Note: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 8,000 miles (13 000 km) or six months, whichever occurs first.

Required Maintenance Intervals

Refer to the Maintenance Schedules on the following pages for the required maintenance intervals.

13000 Km
8000 Miles
6 Months
Change the engine oil and engine oil filter.
Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 8,000 miles (13 000 km).
Inspect all door latches for presence of grease, reapply if necessary.

Unread 09-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #37
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Probably a good idea to stick to your OWN MANUAL and not tell guys with different models/years,what to do-

My manual states not to exceed 6,000 miles (10,000kms), or 6 months, whichever hits first-

JIMBO
Unread 09-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #38
JKPaul
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Probably a good idea to stick to your OWN MANUAL and not tell guys with different models/years,what to do-

My manual states not to exceed 6,000 miles (10,000kms), or 6 months, whichever hits first-

JIMBO
Yours has older gerbils, they get hungry more often.

Unread 09-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #39
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I made a general statement, not ata particular indivd., but

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKPaul View Post
Yours has older gerbils, they get hungry more often.
As old as I am I need more Gerbils also !

JIMBO
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #40
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
For me 1st change at 1500 miles, then every 3000 miles on all my vehicles. Regular synthetic. Cost at my dealer in Canada is around $150, crazy stupid. My certified non-dealer mechanic, $85 and unlike the idiot at the dealer he actually tightens the oil filter so it doesn't spray all over the frickin' Jeep.
I feel like I should get paid for how often I tell people this, but for $25 you can send a sample of your oil to Blackstone Labs. They'll analyze it, break down what's actually in it (additives and contaminants), and give you a recommendation for whether you're on a smart interval or not. Unless you really beat on your Jeep, you're probably changing your oil twice as often as necessary, maybe more.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #41
Breitling
2013 JK Wrangler 

I think it is about filter but not oil, filter could get dirty and/or clogged. That is why I am not driving for more than 5K miles between changes. Oil could take much larger mileage especially good synthetics made by Mobil 1 or Castrol.
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #42
JKPaul
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
I feel like I should get paid for how often I tell people this, but for $25 you can send a sample of your oil to Blackstone Labs. They'll analyze it, break down what's actually in it (additives and contaminants), and give you a recommendation for whether you're on a smart interval or not. Unless you really beat on your Jeep, you're probably changing your oil twice as often as necessary, maybe more.
NOW JUST HOLD ON....I never said anything I ever did was smart...... but, it makes me feel better to follow those intervals. Lots of dirt and dust and temperature swings where I'm at.

Unread 09-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #43
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There is a LOT to oils, this series of articles explains quite a bit:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #44
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
... Lots of dirt and dust and temperature swings where I'm at.

As good as the OCIs are these days, they don't account well for dusty environments.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #45
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Your manual must be different than mine. It does say 8000 in at least 2 different sections. 9000 miles is way too many miles....IMHO!

From the 2012 JK Manual:

Change Engine Oil

The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance. Refer to “Maintenance Schedule” for further information.

Note: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 8,000 miles (13 000 km) or six months, whichever occurs first.

Required Maintenance Intervals

Refer to the Maintenance Schedules on the following pages for the required maintenance intervals.

13000 Km
8000 Miles
6 Months
Change the engine oil and engine oil filter.
Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 8,000 miles (13 000 km).
Inspect all door latches for presence of grease, reapply if necessary.
2013 JK manual:

Change Engine Oil
The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is
time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.
Refer to the “Maintenance Schedule” for further information.

NOTE:Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months,
whichever occurs first.

Mike
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.