First Oil Change at 8000 miles. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > First Oil Change at 8000 miles.

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 11-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
What was your package?

I paid 150.00 (plus 8.25 tax) for a 12 pack good for three years. I have 10K on the clock now (11 months of new toy syndrome) but expect no more than 5k per year future - so I am sure its overkill to use 4 per year. Even at twice a year (once pre-wheeling season and again post) the unused ones will still keep my cost below the one at a time of 49.95! (my service guy just wont budge on transferability even after attempting to bribe with a good bottle of hootch ).
4 oil changes for 67$
Seems to vary based on dealer.

I also completely agree that our standard change interval is MASSIVE overkill, but at this point I'm more concerned with maintaining my warranty, and the sales manager at my Jeep dealer looks like Jennifer Aniston, so it's HORRIBLY painful to go in there and have to talk to her for 20 minutes.
Hope the wife never catches on to that one....

paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #17
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
4 oil changes for 67$
Seems to vary based on dealer.

I also completely agree that our standard change interval is MASSIVE overkill, but at this point I'm more concerned with maintaining my warranty, and the sales manager at my Jeep dealer looks like Jennifer Aniston, so it's HORRIBLY painful to go in there and have to talk to her for 20 minutes.
Hope the wife never catches on to that one....
LOL

Another reason I have the best maintained Caddy in town...

Yea the prices seem like they finally caught on - "free" (no labor cost) oil change for the chance to find billable hours...
Unread 11-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #18
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Oil is cheap. Engines are expensive. Do it yourself in your driveway.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #19
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbasham View Post
... The worker then asked if my oil light is on. I told him no then he told me well normally we do not do oil changes unless they light is on ....
Assuming you are refering to an oil change light that many newer vehicles have-- That is considered far more reliable than mileage as an indicator of oil change need. Fleet owners (who have a lot at risk from inadequate maintenance) depend on them.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #20
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I do know if i waited till the oil light came on before doing an oil change I can say goodbye to the possiblilty of ever gettting 200,000 miles on this car.
With all due respect, the folks who designed that light coming on also designed your engine.

Going to assume they know what's best for the engine... since they designed it.

I traded in my GMC Envoy for my 13 JKUR. It had 200k on the engine and ran smooth as it did new. I always changed the oil when the light came on. Maybe at most twice a year/10,000 miles.

Regular oil too. It works pretty good.
Unread 11-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #21
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

I typically "halve" the first change (at 3K on my '10 JK w/ synthetic blend), then again at 6K w/ full synthetic and every 6K after, which is the max mileage the manual states, (synthetics have the ability to not absorb mositure so time is less concern)..had the oil analyzed at 12K (penzoil 5W20 Platinum, which is a full synthetic), still plenty of life left, the ol 3.8 v6 is easy on oil and reliable, but, I also drive easy, not much stop n go and usually put 200 hours of "ignition on" time every 6K miles on mine...FWIW.....I alos use a slighlty oversize filter, prefering the media and ability of the Purolator Pure Ones whcih I can get reasonably cheaply via Kroeger at $1 off reg price often...My light comes on typically at about 3500 miles (sometimes not), I reset and keep going (it doesn't come on again by the 6K interval! , it doesn't actually analyze the oil but, it's an algorithim that sets it off....
Unread 11-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #22
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

the only reason to change at 3K/8K 3months/6months is if your following the manual and want proof you followed the manual recomendations.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #23
thedude386
2011 JK Wrangler 

I just check my oil level and color every so often (about once every 2 weeks) and once it gets low or turns dark, then I change it. Usually, my changes end up going along with what the light says as far as time to change your oil as well.
thedude386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #24
HarryP33
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm one of those anal-retentive guys that will pull over wherever I am and change the oil on the side of the road when the odometer hits a 3k interval... almost. New vehicles get a change at 1k, then 3k, and every 3k after that, even when using Synthetic. Overkill, yes. I like it that way… but I’ve never had a vehicle die before 200,000 miles either. Also, I trust no one to do routine maintenance on my vehicles. They invariably mess it up somehow.

When I picked up the JK during delivery last week, the dealer said I get a free first oil change... they will be giving me a call to schedule bringing it in. After we got home, my wife chuckled and asked if I was going to take them up on it. She could tell by the look on my face that nothing, not even a free oil change, is free. It ain’t going to happen.
HarryP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #25
Tbasham
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryP33 View Post
When I picked up the JK during delivery last week, the dealer said I get a free first oil change... they will be giving me a call to schedule bringing it in. After we got home, my wife chuckled and asked if I was going to take them up on it. She could tell by the look on my face that nothing, not even a free oil change, is free. It ainít going to happen.
When I took mine in for the first and only free oil change my jeep will recieve i first asked if i could take the oil home and do it myself. They said no but i did watch the technician do the oil chagne and he did everything correctly. When i looked at my reciept it said they check all sorts of things, tire tread, bushings, and differentials what not. Not once did i see anyone check my tires for proper psi or check to see if the transfer case worked correctly. They just marked everything as good shape.
Tbasham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #26
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
When I took mine in for the first and only free oil change my jeep will recieve i first asked if i could take the oil home and do it myself. They said no but i did watch the technician do the oil chagne and he did everything correctly. When i looked at my reciept it said they check all sorts of things, tire tread, bushings, and differentials what not. Not once did i see anyone check my tires for proper psi or check to see if the transfer case worked correctly. They just marked everything as good shape.
I hear what you're saying. But you MUST define "check". The only way to THOROUGHLY check (for example the differential) is to tear down and inspect. So for MOST of these checks it's simply a visual - no sign of fluid leaks, inspection marks on bolts still lined up etc.

It CAN always be better - but then there is a work to price value. I was a mechanic at a shop for all of three months. Can't make a living when a simple spark plug and wire change turns into a complete 6 hr underhood detail! I was too detail oriented for that type of work and even being a fast worker did not flag ANY time (usually lost on my end) I so got into fleet maintenance and then the fabrication side of the industry (where that detail orientation is even MORE important) instead.
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #27
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

i got my first change done the second time, first time I paid for synthetic, second time they did synthetic for free, YMMV.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #28
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

Picked my Jeep up from AEV in Detroit. Drove the hell out of it and kept it in low gears and keep the RPM's up high. Stopped at one of the first towns outside of Detroit (about 150 miles out) and had the oil changed. Then been doing it every 2500-3500 miles or so. So far the engine is about the only thing on mine to never give me trouble so, for me at least, this worked
'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #29
alwaysboobear
2013 JK Wrangler 

I purchased my 2nd Jeep this past July. Was told the same thing with the new Pentastar engine. 8,000 miles or every 6 months. It was a beating just to get that out of the service department. Because I'm a girl, they act like I don't know anything and I told them I want mileage, not a damn indicator to tell me when I need my oil changed. Geez, I change my oil for pete's sake lol
alwaysboobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #30
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

From what I've been reading, those indicators are actually pretty accurate. For years oil changes have been overspec'd on the precautionary side. The indicator monitors your actual driving conditions.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.