first impressions, theory.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > first impressions, theory....

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-16-2006, 10:54 PM   #1
Cavi

first impressions, theory....

I curently own a 98TJ and love it but it is tough to travel as there is no storage space behind the rear seat. Other than that I have no other complaints at all.
So when the new 4 door came out I had to go look.
I left with many good feelings and a few not soo good. First I love the space behind the rear seat. At the same time I do not see why they had to make it longer than the unlimited from last year. Last years unlimited had great space behind the rear seat.
Second, wider, it felt fantastic inside as the door was not pushing on my arm as it does in my current Jeep, but my question is will the extra width hurt me on the trails?
Third, I love the anti roll computer stuff, especially that you can turn it off to ride off road, makes great sense, on the road it will be much safer.
Tow package is awsome as I do pull a motorcycle trailer sometimes, and while my current TJ does pull it it doesn't like it too much.
Last I loved the 3 piece hard top, it is awsome, that plus the cargo space will be enough reason for me to trade up in a year or so.
Now my conspiracy thoery, it pertains to the extra length and width over the 06 unlimited. I am wondering if Yamaha and the other side by side quad makers are paying Jeep to make a bigger jeep so their new side by side quads look small (they are not), most are not much smaller than a CJ5.........Comments

Anyway, I like the new jeep, just wish they had not gone soo long...
Oh, forgot the hideous door handles, they need to go they are only good for catching branches

Cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2006, 07:36 AM   #2
UTAH

Well... anything's possible when it comes to theories, but I'll focus on what's probable:

Jeep fans have been clamoring for quite some time to gain a larger off-road model as well as 4-doors. I do not recall much discussion about it back in the CJ days, but the pressure was definitely there when the YJ came out. And, there was much talk when the TJ was arriving about the demand for 4-doors or even a pickup truck version.

I think what's occurred with the dimensions of the JK was inevitable. In fact, I find it amazing Jeep did not do it sooner as the demand was obviously there.

So... in short, I think Jeep was simply responding to demand and an opportunity to make money (nothing wrong with that).

Bill

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.