First fluid change mileage? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > First fluid change mileage?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 11-13-2006, 10:49 PM   #1
FinallyJO

First fluid change mileage?

Although my JK manual calls for the first oil change at 3000 miles and no differential or gearbox oil change for multiple thousands of miles, this seems to be much too long of a time period for a brand new vehicle. My last new car called for the first crankcase and gearbox oil change at 500 miles, then every five thousand and 30,000 after that, respectively, though I change all fluids more frequently. Should I just follow the manual, or my gut? I don't suppose the warranty would be jeopardized if I changed the fulids more frequently than the manual requires, but I don't want to be wasting my $$ either. Most importantly, I want to ensure a long, trouble-free life for my Jeep.

Also, the 300 mile break in period seems too short, but that's a thread for a different day....

FinallyJO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2006, 08:26 AM   #2
03jeeper78

Are you sure there's no section in there about break-in mileage? That's normally when you do your first oil change - at the end of break-in and then follow the schedule after that. Your diffs should be fine unless you've been wheeling in deep mud/water already.
BSMCCEP Club Member #45
Stock: 4.0L I6:5-speed:3.07 gears:D35 with Trac-Loc:15x7 Ecco wheels:Dual Top Group
Mods: 30x9.5 BFG A-T T/A KO's:JKS Quicker disconnects:Rock-It Man rocker guards:Jeep Medic oil pan/tranny skid:Kilby steering skid:Warn D30 diff guard:C4x4 D35 diff guard:Rusty's radiator guard:Skid Row LCA skids:SilverStar headlights and fogs:Hidden Hitch class III receiver:Old Realistic 40ch CB:2' Firestik II:Arizona Rocky Road tailgate antenna mount
Next : Jeeperman rear bumper

'06 Candy Orange Honda Shadow Spirit 750
03jeeper78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
infosponge

I was in at my dealer last week, they were taking photos of the hinge paint defect to file a claim with DaimlerChrysler, and since I was around 1,000 miles I asked that very question. They told me to bring it in closer to 3,000. Since they do most of that first year stuff for "free", I'll bring it in when they say.
infosponge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

change engine oil at 1000. the gearboxes dont need to be changed until 15k

Gone - 2000 Sport, 1987 YJ, 1997 SE
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2006, 11:29 PM   #5
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondTJ
change engine oil at 1000. the gearboxes dont need to be changed until 15k
Thats what I went with on my 05 LJ and 99 XJ
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2006, 06:45 PM   #6
cliffmelanie1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought one last night. They said 3000 miles or 6 monthes, whatever comes first. I think thats too long also. As far as breakin miles, my 06 VW says not to go over 120mph for the first 500 miles. Who knows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.