FIRE!!! 2010 Jeep wrangler sport gone... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > FIRE!!! 2010 Jeep wrangler sport gone...

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

FIRE!!! 2010 Jeep wrangler sport gone...

So, I dropped my kid off at Kindergarten an hour ago. As I was driving away, got to a stop sign, and smoke started coming out of the engine/under the engine compartment...looks like around the tranny.

Anyway, flames came out next, so I bailed.

Anyone know if they are having problems with these? All of a sudden my Jeep is gone :-( Fire department had to keep putting it out. Looks like the inside engine compartment is destroyed, as well as the tranny area and even into the dash a bit.

Pics

2010-11-12_09-17-28_984.jpg   2010-11-12_09-17-36_89.jpg   2010-11-12_09-19-10_125.jpg   2010-11-12_09-28-00_626.jpg  
Unread 11-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
LarryGrant
2008 JK Wrangler 

That stinks. We hope you have the day off to go pick out your new jeep.
LarryGrant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry for your loss, I hope you have gap coverage, if not, you are about to take a huge beating.

To all the car loan people out there, GET GAP COVERAGE. (what is gap coverage?, when you buy a vehicle, the loan is for X amount, as soon as you drive off the lot, your vehicle is worth about 1/3 that price on NADA. When it gets stolen or totaled, you get NADA value, which as stated is considerably lower than how much you owe on the loan. No companys are obligated to pay any more than nada value, leaving you with a car payment and no car. Gap coverage pays the difference between Nada value and your loan)

when they total this out on you, find out what the buy back is, normally its about 10% of what they pay out to you, might be worth buying it back and parting it out.
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

I know there was a recall prior to 2010 due to transmission fluid getting too hot and possibly starting fires. Chrysler's solution was to put a "hot transmission fluid" warning light in the dash instead of installing a cooler. Sounds like this may be the cause but I can't say for sure. Guess I should take my JK in to get that warning light turned on.

Good luck and hopefully you'll get to the bottom of it.
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Trickle View Post
Sorry for your loss, I hope you have gap coverage, if not, you are about to take a huge beating.

To all the car loan people out there, GET GAP COVERAGE. (what is gap coverage?, when you buy a vehicle, the loan is for X amount, as soon as you drive off the lot, your vehicle is worth about 1/3 that price on NADA. When it gets stolen or totaled, you get NADA value, which as stated is considerably lower than how much you owe on the loan. No companys are obligated to pay any more than nada value, leaving you with a car payment and no car. Gap coverage pays the difference between Nada value and your loan)
GAP coverage is only good when you owe more than the vehicle is worth.....The vehicle does not lose 1/3 of the price when you drive it off of the lot, that is total BS. I just looked up mine at clean retail it is $31k which is only 2k less than what i bought it for (after taxes) which is not even close to 1/3 less than the original price (closer to like 7%)....if you are buying a used car at a buy here pay here lot or somewhere when you have very high interest rates, it would definetely be a good idea to get GAP coverage because you will most likely be over your head before you buy it anyway, but as long as you keep your principal balance below the value NADA value, you should be fine....
2010 JK Rubicon - Flame Red - 3.5" AEV Premium Suspension Lift w/ Bilstein 5100 Shocks, 17" AEV Savegre Wheels, 35x12.50 r17 BFG KM2's - Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Front Bumper w/ 10,500lb Winch - Rugged Ridge XHD Rear Bumper w/ Swing Out Tire Carrier - Poison Spyder JK Evap Skid Plate - KC Slimlite Long Range
mthomp83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
robd2003
2002 WJ 

time for AEV motor swap
but really glad you got it put out and your okay.

we just had a couple killed as their vehicle flipped off a tripple over pass to the bottom highway upsidedown and catch fire
robd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Wheres a Fiat dealer when you need one? Tell Tony to get off his A** and start wrappoing some lasagna bandages around that trans! J/k, literally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, could have been the transmission issue. They have over heated and puked fluid out of the vent tube into the engine compartment. The fluid gets on the exhaust manifolds and catches fire. I just took mine in to get the warning light instelld.

That bites man!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
frAnken_rubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2003 View Post
time for AEV motor swap
Definitely a perfect time to throw in a hemi with the insurance $.
frAnken_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Question is if the OP wants another Jeep.. something like that is devastating.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #11
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

That just plain sucks. Could be the transmission, but I can't imagine that it is warm enough in CT right now to overheat the transmission during normal driving conditions. From what I have heard, it typically becomes an issue in hot weather, off roading in 4HI, etc...

Still, I'd be pissed if my Jeep went up in flames.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frAnkin_ruBi View Post
Definitely a perfect time to throw in a hemi with the insurance $.
I'd go for the totaling it. I've had engine fires in vehicles and they're never the same. All that plastic and wiring is a monumental project to make right again, that's my experience.

Sorry for you, even the firemen look sad at seeing a new Jeep bite the dust like that. My condolences.
Unread 11-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #13
ctgretzky99
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks all...working on it, being investigated...in middle of lots of crap so Ill update shortly...

and yea, it stinks big time :-(
Unread 11-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I agree with McKBrew. You have to be working the tranny fairly hard in hot weather for it to over heat. Glad your kid had been dropped off and that you got out ok.
Unread 11-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
nam1
2010 JK Wrangler 

You know here I am almost three weeks into the last time I said I was going to install a few fire extinguishers. Going to do it this weekend. Sorry to hear about your jeep. That totally sucks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.