Finally!!! a New Truck-lite, 7" LED, Complex Reflector - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Finally!!! a New Truck-lite, 7" LED, Complex Reflector

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #31
Texas Jeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

Can't wait to see a review.

3.5 RK lift with 35 inch Duratrac's
1985 CJ7

Texas Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #32
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

piccccssss

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #33
2008fx4
2011 JK Wrangler 

i made my last attempt at a Truck-Lite product today. purchased the new gen led headlights from Jason@Rebel Offroad and got them very quickly. Initial impressions were mixed. love the appearance of the top half of the light, but was very surprised to see the circuit board exposed on the bottom half of the black piece that separates the high and low beams. They seemed well-made, and thats where my positive review of these lights ends.

FIrst - fit. they wobbled around in the factory housing. the "keys" that fit into the recesses on the mounting ring were a bit off in size, so even after tightening down the trim rings the lights were a touch loose and would wiggle when the jeep was running. a piece of electrical tape on the back of the light on these "keys" did the trick of allowing the lights to fit snug. I tried the supplied adapter that switches the h13 to a h4 plug, and had flickering. So i hacked up my hid harness and added the h4 plug to that, and lights functioned with no flicker.

secondly, the lighting output, like the first gen, left a lot to be desired. they have a better spread of light compared to the first gen, but still have the high and low light areas in the beam pattern. also, i had a weird hot spot in the center of the beam that created a very bright hot spot at the end of the beam. i tried to get a pic of this, but it didnt turn out that great. only had my iphone.

the hot spot/weird spot was in the shape of a "X" and my eyes were drawn to that focal point, regardless of what i tried. here are the spots on a garage door, again a bad pic.

the "X" became one spot while driving that you can kind of see in the first pic. i tried aiming the lights differently, and nothing got rid of it. needless to say that they were immediately taken out of my jeep, and thank goodness i was able to rebuild my hid harness and put my hids back in. i cant believe that my luck is this bad with truck-lite. maybe it truly is just a bad product.
2008fx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #34
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

shame

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #35
JackTEOD
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008fx4 View Post
i made my last attempt at a Truck-Lite product today. purchased the new gen led headlights from Jason@Rebel Offroad and got them very quickly. Initial impressions were mixed. love the appearance of the top half of the light, but was very surprised to see the circuit board exposed on the bottom half of the black piece that separates the high and low beams. They seemed well-made, and thats where my positive review of these lights ends.

FIrst - fit. they wobbled around in the factory housing. the "keys" that fit into the recesses on the mounting ring were a bit off in size, so even after tightening down the trim rings the lights were a touch loose and would wiggle when the jeep was running. a piece of electrical tape on the back of the light on these "keys" did the trick of allowing the lights to fit snug. I tried the supplied adapter that switches the h13 to a h4 plug, and had flickering. So i hacked up my hid harness and added the h4 plug to that, and lights functioned with no flicker.

secondly, the lighting output, like the first gen, left a lot to be desired. they have a better spread of light compared to the first gen, but still have the high and low light areas in the beam pattern. also, i had a weird hot spot in the center of the beam that created a very bright hot spot at the end of the beam. i tried to get a pic of this, but it didnt turn out that great. only had my iphone.

the hot spot/weird spot was in the shape of a "X" and my eyes were drawn to that focal point, regardless of what i tried. here are the spots on a garage door, again a bad pic.

the "X" became one spot while driving that you can kind of see in the first pic. i tried aiming the lights differently, and nothing got rid of it. needless to say that they were immediately taken out of my jeep, and thank goodness i was able to rebuild my hid harness and put my hids back in. i cant believe that my luck is this bad with truck-lite. maybe it truly is just a bad product.
I had the wobble in the left front headlight as well. Tape worked out just fine. Tonight was the first time I saw the flickering, its annoying once you see it. Ive never had anteing but stock lighting so they seemed great to me. Did the harness change the brightness at all? I find the high beams amazing but low def have some gaps in light and I notice the x hot spot as well. I didn't see a place to vertically adjust, am I missing something obvious? Im also concerned about the lenses, they've alreayd scratched and i think a couple kicked up rocks will make them look like beat up. I have no clue why glass wasn't used. Im contemplating returning them, what HIDs are you running and how much is the price dif?
JackTEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #36
RubiNoob
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have none of these issues. Mine fit tight. Don't wobble. I did haven an issue with my headlight brush guards. These new headlights are 1/2 inch deeper, so they were hitting the brush guards (rugged ridge brand). I just dremeled the guards off and extended them out the 1/2 inch and all is good.

I already had a complete wiring harness installed thanks to D. Stern, so I have zero flicker and they are bright as hell. I haven't been able to drive with them yet as my radiator fan shorted and am currently waiting for a new one to come in. The 'garage door' test was mighty impressive however.

I did notice that the lamp isn't glass, so I purchased a headlight protective film to avoid scratched. That part is a shame considering the cost, but at 1/2 the price of the Speakers, a $15 film is fine by me!
RubiNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #37
JackTEOD
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiNoob View Post
I have none of these issues. Mine fit tight. Don't wobble. I did haven an issue with my headlight brush guards. These new headlights are 1/2 inch deeper, so they were hitting the brush guards (rugged ridge brand). I just dremeled the guards off and extended them out the 1/2 inch and all is good.

I already had a complete wiring harness installed thanks to D. Stern, so I have zero flicker and they are bright as hell. I haven't been able to drive with them yet as my radiator fan shorted and am currently waiting for a new one to come in. The 'garage door' test was mighty impressive however.

I did notice that the lamp isn't glass, so I purchased a headlight protective film to avoid scratched. That part is a shame considering the cost, but at 1/2 the price of the Speakers, a $15 film is fine by me!
Good idea, what type of film?
JackTEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #38
2008fx4
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTEOD View Post
I had the wobble in the left front headlight as well. Tape worked out just fine. Tonight was the first time I saw the flickering, its annoying once you see it. Ive never had anteing but stock lighting so they seemed great to me. Did the harness change the brightness at all? I find the high beams amazing but low def have some gaps in light and I notice the x hot spot as well. I didn't see a place to vertically adjust, am I missing something obvious? Im also concerned about the lenses, they've alreayd scratched and i think a couple kicked up rocks will make them look like beat up. I have no clue why glass wasn't used. Im contemplating returning them, what HIDs are you running and how much is the price dif?
35w ddm tuning kit with the capacitor/diode wired in (<$5 from radio shack) in 5000k. less than $100 in the hid kit. works great, aimed properly and never get flashed. good spread of light with the exception of directly in front of the vehicle. but thats what a good set of fog/driving lights are for.
2008fx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #39
RubiNoob
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008fx4 View Post
35w ddm tuning kit with the capacitor/diode wired in (<$5 from radio shack) in 5000k. less than $100 in the hid kit. works great, aimed properly and never get flashed. good spread of light with the exception of directly in front of the vehicle. but thats what a good set of fog/driving lights are for.
I have a set of 35 ddms in 5k. Put them in my Cibies. It was not great. I didn't try the ddms in my stock housings. Just went with LEDS to be done with this headache.
RubiNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #40
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

I added my review of the newer Truck-Lites to the Headlight Shootout thread - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/h...7/index18.html

Overall, I'm pleased, but undecided if I'm going to keep these or switch back to the 10-LED ones I had originally.

Here's a quick shot of the way they look on the Jeep. Sorry for the lousy cell phone pic:

Tags
headlight upgrade , headlights , LED lights

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.