Finally - a front bumper fishing rod holder - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Finally - a front bumper fishing rod holder

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 08-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

see them all the time on trucks over here, love the idea. luckily enough my trout rod fits in the back.

Unread 08-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #17
rayder1

Pretty ingenious. That would be a ticket magnet here in CA. I'm going to be stuck with a roof rack on my HT if I want to tote my surf rods to the coast or live with them sticking out between the seats.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #18
waltmeda
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayder1 View Post
Pretty ingenious. That would be a ticket magnet here in CA. I'm going to be stuck with a roof rack on my HT if I want to tote my surf rods to the coast or live with them sticking out between the seats.
When my rods are all the way to the gate they still reach past the passenger seat. It is just a matter of time before I (or my passenger) breaks them.
waltmeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #19
takeitsleazy
2013 JK Wrangler 

I see those all the time on CJs. thought it was just a crusty old dude thing. good work
Unread 08-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #20
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks cool. I would notch out the top of each tube so the reel can slide down a bit more and keep it true/straight in the holder. Otherwise they will start spinning and slamming each other while on the beach.

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #21
waltmeda
2010 JK Wrangler 

I got a chance to test this out this weekend. Rods in the holder doing 60mph for a 2hr drive and had no problems.
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #22
waltmeda
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooneys08JK View Post
Looks cool. I would notch out the top of each tube so the reel can slide down a bit more and keep it true/straight in the holder. Otherwise they will start spinning and slamming each other while on the beach.
Very good idea!!
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #23
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I was wondering why you didn't just buy this:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92038_11_07.htm

Or this

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92038_10_07.htm

I'm not knocking what you made and I can appreciate the sense of satisfaction that comes with building it yourself, but your original post says you didn't like any you found. My question is more of what is wrong with either of these two options I posted, except maybe the price?
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #24
waltmeda
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post

Or this

I'm not knocking what you made and I can appreciate the sense of satisfaction that comes with building it yourself, but your original post says you didn't like any you found. My question is more of what is wrong with either of these two options I posted, except maybe the price?
My rods wouldn't fit in those. The bases of my rods are too thick and don't fit in normal sized rod holders. Also, the handle of the rod is 3ft long and I needed them to sit as low as possible. I used cross fittings and not tee's on the pvc holder I made so the handle slips through and the rods rest on the Jeeps C-channel just behind the front bumper. The price was also a motivator. The whole thing only cost me around $35.
Unread 08-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #25
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post

Or this

Sometimes itís the fun and pride in making up your own stuff all the while saving yourself some significant money in the process for the most part.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #26
DetonatorBlake
2007 JK Wrangler 

I was wondering how you attached your setup to the bumper and also if you had to leave the plastic part of the bumper off?
Unread 11-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #27
715racing
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltmeda View Post
My rods wouldn't fit in those. The bases of my rods are too thick and don't fit in normal sized rod holders. Also, the handle of the rod is 3ft long and I needed them to sit as low as possible. I used cross fittings and not tee's on the pvc holder I made so the handle slips through and the rods rest on the Jeeps C-channel just behind the front bumper. The price was also a motivator. The whole thing only cost me around $35.

Plus beer! Very nice!
Unread 11-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #28
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Cool.

You could probably pull a para-sailor with that setup.. You know fly fishing for shark.
Unread 11-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #29
STORM_JK
2013 JK Wrangler 

Dude that is B-A! I'm a big fan of coming up with stuff instead of buying and this is very well executed! I need to go fishing with you, but I don't think my rods can handle shark lol
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #30
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Looks good man, sturdy too. Did a similar set up on my sons Ranger years ago using PVC.
I'll keep an eye out for you down in Galveston!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.