Finally - a front bumper fishing rod holder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Finally - a front bumper fishing rod holder

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
waltmeda
2010 JK Wrangler 

Finally - a front bumper fishing rod holder

I've searched every thread, high and low, and not found a fishing rod holder for the front bumper that I like. I have been searching for years! I went and bought some scrap metal and some beer yesterday with the intention of coming up with a good fabrication idea. I had an idea of what I was going to do but I wasn't sure if it would look good. I invited my brother-in-law over to drink some beer with me and when he got to my house I pulled out all the metal and laid it on the floor and told him to drink a beer and think about how to put a decent looking rod holder on my Jeep. Within a few minutes he came up with this idea and I loved it. I guess sometimes you need someone to think outside the box for you. Keep in mind it looks a little ridiculous because of the size of my rods, I'm not compensating, I'm shark fishing. This set up would also be good for fresh water rods. Tell me what you think.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps09524d00.jpg

waltmeda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

Man I was intrigued by this but what is your intended purpose? Is it to put your rods there and drive several km or miles to your boat? I'd be a bit afraid of damage to my rods and the impaired visibility. You got a pic of inside with the rods there?
Gane35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
waltmeda
2010 JK Wrangler 

I did drive it down the road and the rods didn't really bother me. My drive to the beach is about 1-1/2 hours so I don't plan on driving on the road much with the rods in the holders. Also, I have two 15ft rods. I'm sure I would hit many traffic lights with my rods on the way. Once I'm on the beach, I have about a 30-60 minute drive on the sand. The beach drive is really bumpy my rods bump around a lot when they are int he back of the Jeep. It has caused damaged to them before and this was my alternative.
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Do sharks hang out on the freeway?

Or did you put one of those spinning trailer hitch prop things on? I'm pretty sure those dont work. They are like $10. Just sayin.
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
KFTC
2013 JK Wrangler 

Nice, but I don't get it.
KFTC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

And I thought my 4' CB antenna on top of my AEV tire carrier was bad enough... lol.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

"we need a bigger jeep".......
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

great rod holder, i like.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

So this isn't for driving, it's for parking on the beach and casting off shore?
Gane35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 02:37 AM   #10
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

I like it! Nice job
Unread 08-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Very nice, I like to see home brewed mods. Do you happen to have a pic from further back; Iíd love to see how it all looks from the top of the poles down?
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
waltmeda
2010 JK Wrangler 

To answer some of your questions, yes, I am only going to use this on the beach. Mostly because my rods are too big to drive down the street with them in the rod holder. A lot of people (here in Texas) use these rod holders on their trucks to transport their rods. I see it more on the beach than driving down the road.

I used 2" PVC to accommodate my rods. If I just had fresh water rods, I could have made the holder smaller. I would not hesitate to drive on the road with fresh water rods in the holder. It would be better than having them bounce around in the back of the jeep.

Here is a pic from further back. The rods on the outsides are 7 foot rods. The middle one is a 10 footer.

Unread 08-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Kinda cool though and I envy you with all the fishing you do. My dad use to take me fishing just about every weekend when I was a boy, he loved to fish. Heís no longer around and I miss him so much. I bet you have a substantial amount of money tied up with your fishing gear. Doesnít matter though because itís something that you enjoy and worth it all. Anyhow thatís how I look at things like that. Oh yeah, thanks for the pics.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
KFTC
2013 JK Wrangler 

You should name your Jeep THE ORCA

"And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes"
KFTC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
SteveBad
2011 JK Wrangler 

Nice neat job! Beware those low bridges!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.