A Few More Mods (Line-X, LockPick, Katzkin, ....) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > A Few More Mods (Line-X, LockPick, Katzkin, ....)

Flowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country small builder parts in stock!! Awesome price

Unread 11-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

A Few More Mods (Line-X, LockPick, Katzkin, ....)

Once I get the Jeep cleaned up from my recent hunting trip I'll post some pics, but here are the latest things I have done:

Line-X'd the interior
This was something I have been wanting to do for quite some time now. It is even better than I anticipated. It looks much better than the paint on the interior. I think it is a bit - tiny bit - quieter inside. No more worrying about scratches and rust. And most importantly - super easy to clean!!!

I paid $500 for the Line-X job but that was with me stripping EVERYTHING out of the Jeep but the drivers seat. It appeared to be a daunting task but was actually easy just time consuming.

Recovered seats with heated Katzkins
While I had the seats out, I decided now was the perfect time to get them recovered. I have a set of seat glovers I use for hunting (only for hunting because they are crap!), but I wanted a permanent solution. I need something that would not stain easily and would dry quickly. I was going to use leather but decided the vinyl (looks just like leather) would last longer and not soak up as much water. I also had the AEV logo with bison put on the seat backs of the front seats and it looks cool! Another while I was at it was installing seat heaters. WOW!!! I have had, and do have, seat heaters in other cars, but they rock in the Jeep when the top is off and it is cold out.

Installed LockPick with front and rear cameras
Put in the LockPick so I could get a rear view camera so I could see with the AEV rear bumper and tire carrier and so I could use the NAV system on the go. The LockPick works great but the little camera you can order with it SUCKS. I sent it back and the next one didn't work either so I bought a different one and decided to get one for the front as well. The rear is a keyhole style and is mounted in the bumper right above the trailer hitch. The front is a surface mount and is right between my IPF's on the front bumper.

I also have a thermal imaging camera I use for hunting that I am trying to figure out how to tie in somewhere...I'll let you know once I get it figured out.

Hardwired and mounted air compressor
I have had one of those cheap little MV-50 (I think that is what it is) compressors for 2 years and it works like a charm. It has been riding around in my Tuffy Security Drawer taking up space so I decided to mount it and wire it in. I put it side ways on the passenger side of the Tuffy Drawer under the top platform and wired it up to my sPod. It is perfect there. It is out the way and out of sight, but just flick the switch and grab the hose and start airing up! No more getting it out of the bag and hooking it to the battery

Got a Trasharoo
This is not really a mod, but it is awesome!!! For those that are unfamiliar with this, it is a bag that you strap around your spare tire and your put a trash bag in it. Sounds silly, but I love this thing. I was out hunting last week and used it for the first time and loved it. It holds a tons of crap and also has molle straps for attaching even more stuff to it. I attached two ammo pouches and was able to carry around 10 (30 round) mags instead of an ammo box. Can't say enough good things about this product

'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Got a Trasharoo
This is not really a mod, but it is awesome!!! For those that are unfamiliar with this, it is a bag that you strap around your spare tire and your put a trash bag in it. Sounds silly, but I love this thing. I was out hunting last week and used it for the first time and loved it. It holds a tons of crap and also has molle straps for attaching even more stuff to it. I attached two ammo pouches and was able to carry around 10 (30 round) mags instead of an ammo box. Can't say enough good things about this product
One of the jeeps that rides with us has one, VERY cool and I want one really bad, if anything to just pick up trash on the trail so we can keep the green from closing them. There are some others that are cheaper but the quality sucks.
Sounds like you got a lot done, but I wont believe a word untell I see some pictures!
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

Forgot a few:

AEV Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
Did this one a while back and so far so good. I know some of you don't like the look but I do and the functionality (at least for me) is great. I got the CHSML brake light and water pump setup as well. The tire carrier works great and gets the stress off the tailgate. The water containers work great for me. I use them to wash-up after whacking a hog (they are some nasty critters) and to get sand off my feet at the beach. The bumper also has a nice flat area that is a great step, especially for short guys like me. This thing is tough too. It took for even and 3 drill bit and finally a dremel to get the camera mounted in the bumper.

sPod and Benchmark KISS Dual Battery System
These things rock With all the electrical stuff I now have I decided I would feel better with two batteries I also wanted to make it easier to hook stuff up so I got the sPod while I was at it. Batteries work great but it was a pain in the *** to install. The sPod on the other hand went in flawlessly and make adding accessories a breeze, just wish I did this first before my other wiring jobs.

'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Unread 11-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
kking08
2010 JK Wrangler 

Where did you order your lockpick from? And which camera would you recomend?
kking08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 04:21 AM   #5
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kking08 View Post
Where did you order your lockpick from? And which camera would you recomend?
I got the LockPick from Solid Signal - Signal Solutions including HDTV Antennas, DIRECTV & DISH Network satellite equipment and home entertainment supplies & accessories and the camera from Mobile video mobile tv mobile video system mobile satellite tv mobile video systems nav tv car tv dvd car video car dvd car tv car video system car satellite tv video interface car navigation system car video navigation car navigation gps car tv scre. I am not sure what the brand or model number is on the camera but I think they only had four choices. A Universal, License Plate, Square and Drill Thru cam. I just called TVandNav2Go and ordered the cam over the phone. The cams work fine but the picture is no where near as good as the one on my wife's Land Rover. I think some of this may be due to the screen on the MyGig. Don't get me wrong though, for an $80 camera it works great.

You can go all over the place on cameras, from a $15 one of eBay, to a couple hundred dollars for a Kenwood or similiar. The only thing I would say is to stay away from the MINICAM221.

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Unread 11-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
kking08
2010 JK Wrangler 

Sorry for the questions but how does the cam wire into the mygig
kking08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

When (if you have not already done so) you order the lockpick get the AV harness as well. The harness plugs into the rear of the radio and all the wires are labeled nicely and all you do is crimp on the wires where is says to then run then to the rear and plug into the camera.

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

So...I've got a Kenwood rear view camera that I never installed. I was wanting to figure out how to use it with my factory screen on the Nav unit. Are you saying that this LockPick will allow me to do that ?
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevacs View Post
So...I've got a Kenwood rear view camera that I never installed. I was wanting to figure out how to use it with my factory screen on the Nav unit. Are you saying that this LockPick will allow me to do that ?
I would think so. The LockPick just unlocks all the features already available on the radio and the harness provides for all kinds of AV attachments. If I recall correctly, Kenwood makes a camera that you can adjust the angle, the marker lines, etc. You won't have these functions but you should be able to hook it up and mount it and manually adjust the angle and such.

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #10
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

that is awsome ! Thanks man. Im glad I stumbled on this thread.
I looked at the link you posted, is the V.3 the right one ?
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

...also, where did you put the second battery ? In front of the stock battery ?
I mounted my compressor infront of the battery, so I have no room there...
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #12
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes. V.3 is the one I got and be sure to get the harness as well

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevacs View Post
...also, where did you put the second battery ? In front of the stock battery ?
I mounted my compressor infront of the battery, so I have no room there...
I put it right in front of the original. Benchmark now has a few more options but I got what they then called the KISS system. Here is a link:

JK Dual Battery Systems : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
Yes. V.3 is the one I got and be sure to get the harness as well
Thanks man....It says it includes the harness. nice Jepp BTW.... I wanted that color but the only thing they had left in a 2010 with all the goodys was black
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
surfdogs
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hi, where/how did you get the katzkin seats? When I go on their website the only option is leather, and, like you I would prefer vinyl. I get in the Jeep wet from surfing all the time, and the water cracks leather. Not so with the vinyl in my TJ. When I bought my JK, vinyl was no longer an option. I would love to change out the covers.
surfdogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.