Feedback on Toyo Open Country M/Ts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Feedback on Toyo Open Country M/Ts?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
FatBuoy

Feedback on Toyo Open Country M/Ts?

Is anyone running them? 37x13.5x17s for $305 a pop. They seem to have good online reviews and are supposedly fairly quiet on the highway. Any real world experience/comparison would be appreciated. I would be going to them from 35x12.5 KM2s.

So far: Rugged Ridge front bumper, rear bumper/tire carrier and side armor, 37" Toyo Open Country MTs, Argent AEV Pintlers, AEV hood, 5.13 gears, Teraflex 4" Long Arm lift, JE Reel front shaft. Flat fenders-Bushwacker. Superchips Flashpaq

Waiting to be installed: Nuttin!

On order: Nuttin!

Some day: I may grow up, but I seriously doubt it. Oh, and a Hemi!
FatBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
HotDuck
2009 JK Wrangler 

I really like them. I have their 37s on the JK (18" wheel), 37s on my daily driver (22" wheel) and 35s on my wife's Suburban (18" wheel). They are very quiet on the road and work well in the mud, snow and sand. My favorite tire before I tried Toyo was the BFG Mud Terrain. These Toyos perform as well off road as the BFG Mud Terrains, but the Toyos seem to grip a lot better in the rain.

HotDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
FatBuoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotDuck View Post
I really like them. I have their 37s on the JK (18" wheel), 37s on my daily driver (22" wheel) and 35s on my wife's Suburban (19" wheel). They are very quiet on the road and work well in the mud, snow and sand.
Wow, I would consider you an expert! Thanks for the feedback and nice rides you have there...

The Jeep tracks well on the pavement? I was just a little concerned with the extra inch in width over my 12.5s.

So far: Rugged Ridge front bumper, rear bumper/tire carrier and side armor, 37" Toyo Open Country MTs, Argent AEV Pintlers, AEV hood, 5.13 gears, Teraflex 4" Long Arm lift, JE Reel front shaft. Flat fenders-Bushwacker. Superchips Flashpaq

Unread 01-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
4luck0
1992 YJ Wrangler 

my buddy has the 35s on f250, his front driveshaft is broke so he only has 2wd and when he tried peeling up my long uphill ice covered driveway in 2wd the left rear tire started to melt threw off some big chunks of rubber. tire tread looks like crap now.. i'm still plan on getting them(just not planning on spinning them in 2 and burning them up) i told him to contact toyo and maybe they would do something for him...
4luck0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
4luck0
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotDuck View Post
I really like them. I have their 37s on the JK (18" wheel), 37s on my daily driver (22" wheel) and 35s on my wife's Suburban (18" wheel). They are very quiet on the road and work well in the mud, snow and sand. My favorite tire before I tried Toyo was the BFG Mud Terrain. These Toyos perform as well off road as the BFG Mud Terrains, but the Toyos seem to grip a lot better in the rain.

and you definatly own a lot of rubber over there
4luck0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
HotDuck
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBuoy View Post
Wow, I would consider you an expert! Thanks for the feedback and nice rides you have there...

The Jeep tracks well on the pavement? I was just a little concerned with the extra inch in width over my 12.5s.
It tracks really well. I have the PSC hydro steering assist on the Jeep so that may help, but the dually has 13.50s on it as well and it does not follow the ruts in the road at all.
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
MattJK09
2009 JK Wrangler 

Nice rides HotDuck. I hear nothing but good about Toyos. I wish I could get a set.
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
NorthRiver

They're heavy and expensive,thats about the only downside to the Toyos.

They're the easiest balancing M/T I've ever ran. I have a set of them (295s) on my Dodge 3500 right now. I don't think there is more than about 1.5oz on any of the tires.

Very smooth and very quiet on the highway. Great in everything but real sticky mud. Even then they aren't terrible.
NorthRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

I'm running the 35x13.50x15's on my Liberty,balance great(less then 2oz per tire),not very noisy(big downfall for me though,I like noisy),and grip very well in snow/ice.I have no comments for offroad since most of the trails here are snow filled so that will have to wait for summer.They are very heavy though,my 35" weigh like 89lbs just for the rubber each,a good 15-20lbs heavier then other "C" range 35" tire.

Unread 01-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
FatBuoy

What do you think makes them so heavy? The obvious reason would be............more rubber! But where? Is it beneficial? Tougher? Stronger?

I did just get the 37s on. So far, great! I can definitely tell they are there. (Braking mainly) Haven't taken them off road but on road they track well and are pretty quiet. They sure look good too.

Unread 01-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #11
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I like mine a lot, thinking of going to the 37" after these wear out.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
HotDuck
2009 JK Wrangler 

Now THAT is bad a$$! Very nice rig!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.