Failed Superior 5:13 ring gear. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Failed Superior 5:13 ring gear.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Alaska-HWY JK

Failed Superior 5:13 ring gear.

The axles with these Superior gears were installed in late May 2010 and failed in late Sept 2012. A ticking was noticed when I put the hard doors and hard top back on and upon inspection the rear ring gear was found to be damaged. When pulled apart to install new Yukon gears the pinion was found to have no preload and the diff bearings were worn. The diff fluid was clean except for ring gear schrapnel.The Jeep had around 50,000 km on the axles. I use this Jeep offroad but am in no way abusive to it. It is a daily driver so most of these km's are on the road. I have 35 spline Superior axles, ARB locker and 37" old school GY MTRs also if that helps. Had it rebuilt in March.

Any opinions on this failure?

Please don't respond with " That sucks" we all know it does.
Thanks.

image.jpg  
Alaska-HWY JK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

looks like the pattern is to much to the rear of ring.
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Dont they have a lifetime warranty. Just take it back
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

I concur with 222Doc. Break pattern follows the load progression of the pinion gear along the drive side of the ring gear in one sweep. I'd say a chunk broke off from the outer portion of the tooth and an increased load was applied to each progressive tooth and broke the remainder in the sweep. Your pattern does seem to be on the outer diameter of the tooth face, which indicates to me that the pinion depth was too far away from the ring gear (notice no wear/pattern on the inner diameter). Pinion depth should have been increased with shims to move pattern to the center of the ring gear tooth face (of course with proper corresponding backlash set between 6-10 thou).

If your pinion had no preload (!yikes!), perhaps - in combination with improper pinion depth - the ring gear forced the pinion outward under load (towards your driveshaft) and, hence, the pattern/increased force along the outside of your ring gear. Too much force, with a bit of pinion deflection (due to pinion bearings not being preloaded/seated in races) inevitably busted off a tooth/high spot before the set could wear in...

That's my $0.02.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
looks like the pattern is to much to the rear of ring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
I concur with 222Doc. Break pattern follows the load progression of the pinion gear along the drive side of the ring gear in one sweep. I'd say a chunk broke off from the outer portion of the tooth and an increased load was applied to each progressive tooth and broke the remainder in the sweep. Your pattern seems to be on the outer diameter of the tooth face, which indicates to me that the pinion depth was too far away from the ring gear perhaps (notice no wear/pattern on the inner diameter). Pinion depth should have been increased to move pattern to the center of the ring gear tooth face (of course with proper backlash between 6-10 thou). That's my $0.02.

Yep. Not sure if lifetime warranty covers improper lashing... I know most companies do NOT... and specifically state so.
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Was the axle assembly set up in a shop or a home-brew job? That is the question!
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Maybe the pattern was too high, too - I can't see a non-contact portion on the tooth crest on the drive side either. Hard to tell without marking compound. If so , that's backlash. All moot point if the pinion preload wasn't set, anyhow...
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

remors have it that Superior is out of biz. Though this has nothing to do with that.

Looks like and I have bad eyes anyway that the patter even runs off the outer edge.
Unread 04-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

1 - not enough contact all the way to the heel. You can clearly see the cold spot on the inner edge of the tooth face. Alternately you can see brinelling on the backs (180 degrees over from point 1)

2. The outer edge failed and debris came across the other three teeth. Note the difference in look of damage. At the outer edge its a clean shear - the next three teeth as the debris came inward there is "run-over" damage.

Improper lash.
image.jpg  
Unread 04-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
Alaska-HWY JK

Here's another one. I can't get more than one to post at a time.
image.jpg  
Unread 04-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
Alaska-HWY JK

And another.
image.jpg  
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Link
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
Alaska-HWY JK

Thanks jwmbishop, good info on that link.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.