fading exterior nightmare - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > fading exterior nightmare

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 04-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #16
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I disagree with everything you said on the basis of penetrol mike. It's not greasy at all - it can work some crazy miracles

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 05:02 AM   #17
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol View Post
A heat gun or map torch won't completely destroy your trim pieces, if you don't lack all common sense.

The OP asked for a solution that didn't look like ****, I suggested one.

Roll your eyes some more, all the way to your industrial sized vat of tire shine. ****ing JK owners

Ratmonkey and Mol are right, you can throw any amount of money at a problem, using snake oil to try to fix something or have common sense and do it right. Unfortunately, common sense isn't all that common. Personally, I'm a firm believer in prevention rather than cure - if sun damages trim where you live, apply some sort of prevention to stop it from happening. If the damage is done, there's only so many ways to fix it properly (without continuously applying $20 bottles of cream to it every couple of months).

To the OP: we don't have heavy sunlight to fade our plastics where I live, so I can't comment on the plastic restoring products. If you want to go with the plastic restorers, I'd do some research on the net and canvas the forums like you're doing now. Ratmonkey suggested a repair technique that works great with care and common sense!

You could also seek out some spare new parts on the forums, online, or at the dealership and just swap out the parts with new. If you keep spending money on restoration products that look like crap, or you have to reapply - then it might be worth it in the long run to just go and buy new.

As for me, I agree with WilyWillie - I prefer a good coat of mud and grease opposed to trim/tire shine. Each to their own.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #18
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

I have used heat guns and other products on faded plastic - IMHO every option looks like **** after a little time. The heat gun is also a short term fix(from my personal experience - It looks really good for a short time). The bad thing about heating them is after time they can begin to crack on the surface. Yes it does bring back most of the new color but does not make them look new for very long. If you go the heat gun or torch route then you want to make sure they are as clean as can be before starting(also don't do in a dusty environment because you will get a lot of imperfections and/or debris, bugs, etc. in the heated/melted plastic top layer).
I like subatomicgenius's idea of looking for some new replacements. There are tons of members removing the plastic parts on their JK's for metal parts and you could probably score a pretty decent deal on some new(er) ones.

Before buying new though, I would try the penetrol. I have heard good reviews about it and it may be worth a shot before getting some newer replacements. The heat gun and torch is not a bad option, but it is just a temporary fix like all the others from my personal experience. Heck, none of the suggestions are bad. Pick one and try it. Worst case scenario you get your hands on some new ones and all is good!
SuckerPunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #19
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckerPunch View Post
I like subatomicgenius's idea of looking for some new replacements.
Absolutely, its the only sure thing. It certainly would be cheaper than buying all of the miracle products and map gas. Definitely cheaper than a heat gun, if you don't already have one.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #20
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Agree that alot of the products are a waste of money. If you are looking to do your bumpers and fenders look on here for guys that upgrade. I know mine got thrown out because I couldnt find anyone who wanted them.
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #21
EMT717FF
2010 JK Wrangler 

Forever Black lasts well over a year with one application....no greasy residue. That back to black stuff is crap.
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #22
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Why is it the plastic fenders door handles and hood tie downs fade yet the mirrors dont? cant they just make the bumpers out of the same plastic as the mirrors?

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #23
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

The mirrors are rotomolded. The other items are injection molded

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.