factory sub??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > factory sub???

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.com

Unread 07-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
broken-wrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

factory sub???

so I just bought a JKUR and it has the alpine sub in the back. I know that with the searching I have done, the sub is pretty much worthless, but is there a way to bridge the sub across the ohms and make it bump the voltage it is receiving? i would rather not purchase a new replacement sub at the moment but im trying to see if i can manage to get this thing to bump just a little harder. It does seem like it could handle much more than what it is seeing right now.

Unread 07-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

My 2010 with Infiniti sounds great! Goo enough for my needs. I have the bass at -4 and it still pumps pretty good. Maybe yours isn't working
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
broken-wrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

No it works. It's the the alpine 8inch it's just sad
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken-wrangler View Post
sis there a way to bridge the sub across the ohms and make it bump the voltage it is receiving?.
How the hell do you bridge ohms? If you do not know what ohms are I would not mess with anything involving electricity in your jeep.

There are several threads around here about upgrading the sound system on the JK's. Use the search bar to look for it.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
broken-wrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yes I know what ohms are. You can take a 4 ohm sub and take it down to two ohms by bridging either side.
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken-wrangler View Post
Yes I know what ohms are. You can take a 4 ohm sub and take it down to two ohms by bridging either side.
That is a simplified idea of it, yes. To nitpick your original question you don't increase voltage by changing resistance, you change the current flow :P

The factory sub is a 2ohm DVC. I would suspect it can handle more power but the problem is the factory amp. The amp has two channels that feed the sub's two coils. If you bridge them and run off one channel at 1ohm you will most likely destroy the factory amp. If you tried to bridge the channels you are likely to destroy it as well.

The factory amp, being OEM, doesn't have any real published stats on bridgability or ohm stability. The sub's power rating isn't published either for the same reasons. Top it off with the fact the factory amp rolls off the very low end (Can't hear under 30hz when I had my factory setup) and you have quite a few things stacked against good bass.

The easiest solution is to either gut the factory system or get something that does line level conversion, a bass restorer, and a new amp/sub.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
broken-wrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a sub and amp but the subs a 10inch so I'll have to get a different sub. I was just hoping to get more out of this one since it doesn't really look that bad of a sub.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.