Factory Stereo Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Factory Stereo Swap

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
mjbinks
2011 JK Wrangler 

Factory Stereo Swap

Hi there, 2011 JKU with a factory stereo. Looks like Din and a half and not a great set up. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a relatively inexpensive solution to getting a new head unit. I want it to accept USB and Bluetooth for the phone. I checked in a local shop today and it seems like a head unit is cheap compared to the wiring harness and adapters to maintain steering wheel controls. Is there such a thing as an aftermarket din and a half unit?

Thanks!

mjbinks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
dukeboy_318
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've got a Kenwood unit being installed this weekend actually. They make a mounting kit for you to size down to a single din head unit. My experience with radios is that you get what you pay for. Walmart sales a head unit for 25 bucks, cheap price equals cheap quality. My brother burnt thru 2 of them before listening to me. I would get you a quality head unit. Kenwood, Alpine, Pinoneer etc
dukeboy_318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
smanno
2013 JK Wrangler 

Crutchfield.com

They will provide everything you need to do it yourself.
smanno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I am happy with my Kenwood DNX9990HD which features Garmin navigation in a double din unit. I just wish they would update the maps.
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
HK_Runner
2014 JK Wrangler 

Do you have to pay to update the maps? I wish I could get a stock 430 and replace my stock worthless one.
HK_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_Runner
Do you have to pay to update the maps? I wish I could get a stock 430 and replace my stock worthless one.
It came with free lifetime updates. The problem is there have not been any updates for the maps since I got it, only updates for firmware etc.

When I got it last year, it was obvious the maps were old despite what the date on the map says. One of the main streets I use to get home is not on the map even though that street has been there at least a few years. I thought since garmin is the leader in consumer gps, and since kenwood uses garmin, I would not have this type of problem.

It's pretty good but the old maps are an annoyance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.