Factory Status - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Factory Status

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-25-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
MacMan73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Factory Status

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Jeep and will be going with a 6-speed manual.

I'd like to also upgrade to the 3.73 axle since it's only a $75 upgrade. However, I was told by the dealer yesterday that the 3.73 axle upgrade will be a custom factory build and that the factory is now shut down and is no longer taking orders.

Can anyone confirm that the factory is shut down and/or no longer taking special orders?

I feel like I'm getting screwed and the dealer is just trying to make me by what they have on their lot.

Last edited by MacMan73; 04-25-2010 at 08:54 AM..
MacMan73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
RussK
2007 JK Wrangler 

They are right that it is a special order. I thought they usually shut down for change over to next model year in June sometime. I couldn't imagine it will be more than a couple weeks.

I would wait if you can. You would have to order it anyway with that change so I don't think the dealer would think that telling you that would change your mind, unless they have some on the lot with that option on it already. Its not like they won't take order the dealer just cant submit it to the manufacturer.

This will be delayed till they come back online

I have the 4.10 in mine. If you plan on going to a bigger tire than even the 3.73 might be on the small side. The 4.10 are managable with 33's I couldn't imagine 3.73 would be the same, especially if you want to go with 35's.

If that is the case don't waste the money on the 3.73's

Last edited by RussK; 04-25-2010 at 08:01 AM..
RussK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

I bought my 6 speed with 3:73 gears off the lot. It's just an option like anything else not a "custom factory build". No different than ordering a different radio/tires/tow package etc. Haven't heard anything about the factory being shut down, doesn't make sense this time of year. Nothing they told you makes sense actually.

Like said above though, if you plan on 33" tires or above don't worry about it and re-gear when you put bigger tires on it.
Unread 04-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
RussK
2007 JK Wrangler 

correction to my OP its an option and if they haven't any on their lot than it would be a special build. All ordered jeeps are a special build.
Unread 04-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Try some different dealers.
Unread 04-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
MacMan73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thank you for the information everyone. I'll try another dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say.

His full story was " ... they don't have any (nor do they normally carry) base model sports with the 3.73. Therefore it would have to be a special order. Unfortunately the production plant is shut down (I think he might have mentioned plant-wide holidays) and once they start back up they'll be producing the 2011s. So there's no chance of a 2010 base sport with a 3.73."

It seemed plausible at the time, but the more I thought about the more it just seemed wrong. April seems a little early to stop producing the 2010s.

The only way I could see him being correct is if there was a cut-off date for special orders that has already passed. As an example, if the plant shuts down in early June for the 2011 switch and special orders require 6 weeks lead time ... then I'd be out of luck.
Unread 04-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
RussK
2007 JK Wrangler 

no actually that seems about right they probably not shut down but not taking orders for new 2010's because they may have enough orders to keep them busy till shut down end of may early june. (about 8 to 9 weeks). That shut down is to re tool for the 2011's

check around dealers in your area online and see if they have any with the 3.73's in them.
Unread 04-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

ya its a little bit late to be ordering a 2010 now.. you either take what you can find on the lots, or just order a 2011.

swapping gears to 3.73's brand new would only be like $1200-$1400 installed anyway, dont let it make your final decision. You can always add them later.
Unread 04-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
Grinner
2010 JK Wrangler 

Part of the trailer two package on the 6-speed is 3.73 gears. Locate one with the trailer tow package and you're golden. I think it's approx a $300 option. You might be able to get the dealer to remove the trailer hitch if you don't want it. My jeep had a chrome package on it and the dealer removed it and didn't charge me for it, at my request. Or keep the hitch. It wouldn't hurt to have the capability, and it could be helpful at resale time.
Grinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Grinner
2010 JK Wrangler 

By the way, my dealer located my 6-speed sport, 1/2 doors, w/trailer tow package from several hundred miles away. Drove it here for no extra charge, took the chrome package off and didn't charge me for it, and still sold it to me for $200 under invoice. Try locating one with a trailer tow package and tell the dealer you only want the 3.73 gears. They might take the trailer hitch off and take that off your price. Good luck.
Grinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #11
ak67sd
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinner View Post
Part of the trailer two package on the 6-speed is 3.73 gears. Locate one with the trailer tow package and you're golden. I think it's approx a $300 option. You might be able to get the dealer to remove the trailer hitch if you don't want it. My jeep had a chrome package on it and the dealer removed it and didn't charge me for it, at my request. Or keep the hitch. It wouldn't hurt to have the capability, and it could be helpful at resale time.
I was going to post the same thing... Tow Package comes with 3.73's... so you can call around for one with that option, which you would think would be quite common.

ak
Unread 04-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #12
MacMan73
2010 JK Wrangler 

... well the salesmen at the dealership was lying. Went to a different dealer today and they ordered me a factory build. They even threw in the trailer hitch for for no charge.

I was told today that there is a hold on commissions until the car is delivered and picked up. So it looks like the salesmen from the other dealer was just trying to get his commissions earlier -- instead of waiting, now he gets nothing.
Unread 04-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #13
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan73 View Post
... well the salesmen at the dealership was lying. Went to a different dealer today and they ordered me a factory build. They even threw in the trailer hitch for for no charge.

I was told today that there is a hold on commissions until the car is delivered and picked up. So it looks like the salesmen from the other dealer was just trying to get his commissions earlier -- instead of waiting, now he gets nothing.
Good, he doesn't deserve anything. I had a car sales man try to give me $1000 for a 2002 Grand Cherokee with 76k miles, and he told me my payment would be at 760 a month! For a 2007 Jeep with 3k miles base model, it didn't even have AC.. they wanted $16k (this was back in early 08).. irony? That jeep sat there for a very, very, very long time.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #14
monkers
2010 JK Wrangler 

can you order lower than 3.73 gears? or is that the lowest they go on non Rubi models? im looking to buy a plain Sport, 6speed and slowly do what i want to it, would love to get 4.10 gears.......i want to put 32-35 inch tires on it
monkers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2010, 05:16 AM   #15
MacMan73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkers View Post
can you order lower than 3.73 gears? or is that the lowest they go on non Rubi models? im looking to buy a plain Sport, 6speed and slowly do what i want to it, would love to get 4.10 gears.......i want to put 32-35 inch tires on it
I have the 2010 Canadian brochure. It states the 4.10 as standard with the Rubicon only, and not an option with the Sport or Sahara.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.