Factory Hitch Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Factory Hitch Question

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
Hagen
2009 JK Wrangler 

Factory Hitch Question

I have a 2009 Wrangler X and I want to buy the factory hitch from the dealership. It says that it has a load rating of 200lbs tongue/ 2000lbs trailer weight, or 350lbs tongue/ 3500lbs trailer weight with load distributing hitch. I don't plan on towing a trailer, but I do want to haul a dirt bike on a hitch mounted carrier. The bike weighs about 220lbs. Would this hitch be suited for such a load? Thanks everyone!

Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
flylrd
2008 JK Wrangler 

The hitch will take the load with no problem . You are not far enough away from weight to worry about it. Now 400lb on the hitch you would nitice.It has to do with control pulling the weight.
flylrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 03:51 AM   #3
Silver_Hilton
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
I have a 2009 Wrangler X and I want to buy the factory hitch from the dealership. It says that it has a load rating of 200lbs tongue/ 2000lbs trailer weight, or 350lbs tongue/ 3500lbs trailer weight with load distributing hitch. I don't plan on towing a trailer, but I do want to haul a dirt bike on a hitch mounted carrier. The bike weighs about 220lbs. Would this hitch be suited for such a load? Thanks everyone!
I would stay away from the factory hitch.

A 200# weight limit on this hitch (non load distributing - which is what you'd have) makes this a Class I hitch.

You need a Class III/IV hitch which would have a 350# tongue limit.

I don't know why you would want to go with the factory hitch when you'd be able to get one better suited for your needs, and probably for less money.

Look at the Reese Products website for a good description of hitches/receivers.

I'm sure you'll be able to find one locally (an RV dealer, or perhaps even a motorcycle dealer), or look online for potentially lower prices.

Keep in mind though that that's a lot of weight hanging off the rear of your Jeep - every time you hit a bump you can multiply that 220# by a factor of xxx. If it were me, I'd much rather have a trailer and tow the motorcycle.

John
Silver_Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Hilton View Post
I would stay away from the factory hitch.

A 200# weight limit on this hitch (non load distributing - which is what you'd have) makes this a Class I hitch.

You need a Class III/IV hitch which would have a 350# tongue limit.

I don't know why you would want to go with the factory hitch when you'd be able to get one better suited for your needs, and probably for less money.

Look at the Reese Products website for a good description of hitches/receivers.

I'm sure you'll be able to find one locally (an RV dealer, or perhaps even a motorcycle dealer), or look online for potentially lower prices.

Keep in mind though that that's a lot of weight hanging off the rear of your Jeep - every time you hit a bump you can multiply that 220# by a factor of xxx. If it were me, I'd much rather have a trailer and tow the motorcycle.

John
School me if I need it, but....
How can the Reese hitch, with a long cross bar, bolted on at the ends, be better than the factory hitch, which bolts directly to the rear crossmember?
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
Silver_Hilton
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
School me if I need it, but....
How can the Reese hitch, with a long cross bar, bolted on at the ends, be better than the factory hitch, which bolts directly to the rear crossmember?
It is not a question of better or worse, it is a question of how much load the hitch is designed to carry.

Hitches are like trucks. Some trucks are designed to carry heavier loads than others. Most people wouldn't want to try to carry 10 tons of weight in a 1/2 ton pickup truck. Would you?

I tow my 500# 16' drift boat and trailer with my Jeep (and factory hitch), but I sure wouldn't try to tow my 20,000# 40' trailer with it.

Hagen said the factory hitch was designed to carry a 200# tongue load, and he wants to carry 220# on it. Engineers who design these things know a heck of a lot more than I do, so that's who I'd rely on. (He's not going to use a weight distrubuting hitch for the application he described, which requires towing a trailer.)

John

Last edited by Silver_Hilton; 05-10-2009 at 01:12 PM..
Unread 05-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Hilton View Post
It is not a question of better or worse, it is a question of how much load the hitch is designed to carry.

Hitches are like trucks. Some trucks are designed to carry heavier loads than others. Most people wouldn't want to try to carry 10 tons of weight in a 1/2 ton pickup truck. Would you?

I tow my 500# 16' drift boat and trailer with my Jeep (and factory hitch), but I sure wouldn't try to tow my 20,000# 40' trailer with it.

Hagen said the factory hitch was designed to carry a 200# load, and he wants to carry 220# on it. Engineers who design these things know a heck of a lot more than I do, so that's who I'd rely on. (He's not going to use a weight distrubuting hitch for the application he described, which requires towing a trailer.)

John
The tongue weight limit on the JK can be 100, 200, or 350 lbs, depending on the vehicle and how it is set up. The factory hitches are the same for all applications. If Hagen's manual says the tongue weight is limited to 200 lbs, a higher capcity hitch will not increase that limit.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes, tongue weight is totally different than load and is limited by the suspension, wheel base, etc. that the engineers, who know more than I, figure out. I tow my Kendon trailer (~700 lb) with two Harleys (500 lb each) for a total of 1,700 and balance the trailer with about 170 lb tongue load (10%) - tows well with no problems other than gearing down on hills. And NO, I do not tow them to Sturgis.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
Silver_Hilton
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
The tongue weight limit on the JK can be 100, 200, or 350 lbs, depending on the vehicle and how it is set up. The factory hitches are the same for all applications. If Hagen's manual says the tongue weight is limited to 200 lbs, a higher capcity hitch will not increase that limit.
You are right in that different JK's have different Gross Trailer Weight Limits, ranging from 1,000-3,500#, and my owner's manual looks like the company simply takes 10% of that value to state what the Maximum Trailer Tongue Weight Limit should be (as you say from 100 to 350#).

However, I understood Hagen to say he was considering a hitch wiight limit, not his Jeep's weight limit (which takes into account different axle's for example). Perhaps I misunderstood him.

Also, I've never seen anything that says the hitch limit on my Jeep ('09 Rubicon Unlimited) is anything other than 3,500#/350#, based on on whether I use a weight distributing hitch. However, it very well might be, and would make sense, not based on the hitch, but on the overall suspension and overall llimited Gross Combined Weight Rating of the JK's -- you sure don't want to put all of your weight on the rear axle.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.