Factory Fog Light Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Factory Fog Light Upgrade

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
09GRNJK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Factory Fog Light Upgrade

I'm in the market for replacing my front bumper and I would like to build something simple that looks like the fabtech bumper. Nice skid plate with some coverage on the top and a winch mount.

In turn, this means I will not have a place for my factory fog lights. I would like to keep my Factory Fog light switch to turn on some new PIAA fog lights.

With that in mind, would I have any issues hooking the new lights up to the factory wiring?

I have done some research and found that the new lights I would like are 12V 85watts.

09GRNJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have been wondering about this too...
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Use the stock wiring harness to activate a relay. Wire the lights up to a direct power source. Your canbus won't care a thing about it. Stock lights are around 55Watts. And I'm sure the bump in wattage will make the computer thing bad things have happened.

Bob K.
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbronco View Post
Use the stock wiring harness to activate a relay. Wire the lights up to a direct power source. Your canbus won't care a thing about it. Stock lights are around 55Watts. And I'm sure the bump in wattage will make the computer thing bad things have happened.

Bob K.
That sounds like russian to me
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
CGScotty
Straight And To The Point

2007 JK Wrangler 

My 07 Sahara had factory lights and fogs. I upgraded with Rugged Ridge's Bumper for factory fogs. Mine has been all good.
img_2242.jpg  
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
Orrin
2008 JK Wrangler 

It is really not as hard as it sounds. You already have the factory switch on the stalk. You use a wire kit that comes with the lights but don't use their switch.
The Jeep will still think it is turning on the fogs. Cut the right front fog light plug that is under the bumper, and attach it to the supplied relay. Now when you switch on the fogs, the power that would have gone to your lights, goes to the relay instead. The wire kit will go direct to the battery and when the relay switches (with factory power), it will pull the power from the battery and send the higher wattage to the new lights. You are essentially just using the factory light wire as a switch.

Not sure if I can post a pic from my gallery, but there is one shot of the piaa's mounted in a bumper the day I did it. It is the only shot I have at work.

Last edited by Orrin; 07-22-2010 at 07:17 AM..
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
09GRNJK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
It is really not as hard as it sounds. You already have the factory switch on the stalk. You use a wire kit that comes with the lights but don't use their switch.
The Jeep will still think it is turning on the fogs. Cut the right front fog light plug that is under the bumper, and attach it to the supplied relay. Now when you switch on the fogs, the power that would have gone to your lights, goes to the relay instead. The wire kit will go direct to the battery and when the relay switches (with factory power), it will pull the power from the battery and send the higher wattage to the new lights. You are essentially just using the factory light wire as a switch.

Not sure if I can post a pic from my gallery, but there is one shot of the piaa's mounted in a bumper the day I did it. It is the only shot I have at work.
That makes sense. I was hoping I could just buy the lights and slap them in. Probably not the best idea.

I'll get the whole kit and wire it up just as you described. Sounds simple.

Thanks for all the input!!
09GRNJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryJK4455 View Post
Instead of wiring strait to the lights (the jump from 55 watts to 85 watts may make the computer think something is wrong), the wires that went to the lights should go to a relay first. With the relay powered strait from the battery, there should be no problem.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #9
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryJK4455 View Post
Heheh...Da.
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aftermarket bumper , fog lights , JK Wrangler , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.