Factory Alarm Goes Off Randomly (Usually At Night) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Factory Alarm Goes Off Randomly (Usually At Night)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
YATZI1980
2011 JK Wrangler 

Don't know. Mines an 11 it's right by the drivers side headlight. There is no light under the hood so I'm assuming that's for the alarm. Never tried setting it off. There is another slot in the bracket for another switch if you want to install the light kit.

YATZI1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #17
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Pull the door panels and check the latch switch. Remember as these things have removable doors - the overhead light (and alarm) is sensed within the latch. You could unplug the door wires - if it still goes off the problem is in the controller!
I'll try this idea next. Already unplugged the right-rear door wires. I'll wait a few weeks (or until the alarm goes off next). If the alarm doesn't go off, I'll rip the door panel off to check the latch.
Thanks for the idea!
nwAdamR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #18
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwAdamR View Post
I've done some searching and found some similar topics, but no solutions specifically for an '08 JK.

For the last 5 or 6 months my factory alarm has been going off at random times when it's armed, usually in the middle of the night. I'm pretty sure our neighbors are getting pissed (as am I).

I found a TSB for 2011s (http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0805311.pdf), but not specifically for 2008. The TSB seems to describe the issue I'm having, so I took the Jeep and the TSB to the dealership last week. (They have never heard of such an issue.) After plugging the Jeep into their computer, they said there is no updates needed. They also said, however, that the "Last VTA Trigger" was indicating the right rear door was causing the alarm to sound (exactly like the TSB stated it would). They, of course, suggested to start ripping the right rear door apart to investigate the door hatch. I told them to just try a reflash instead, so they did. Since then, the alarm has gone off yet a few more times.

Any advise would be much appreciated!!

Just a thought but have you replaced your battery? Or are you still on the original stock battery? It may seem odd but old batteries can be the cause of various electrical gremlins.....
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
mijku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post

Just a thought but have you replaced your battery? Or are you still on the original stock battery? It may seem odd but old batteries can be the cause of various electrical gremlins.....
X2

My alarm went off a couple of times last fall and I dismissed it. The first really cold night this winter my battery was dead as could be. I haven't had any false alarms since I installed a new battery.
08 JK Unlimited Rubicon with AEV 3.5" lift, AEV front bumper, Expedition One rear bumper, ACE rock sliders, 17x9 Procomp 7005 with 315/70/17 duratracs, Flashpaq, 5:13 gears
mijku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #20
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
Thanks for the advise. The battery is less than 2 months old (and the alarm problem has been going on for longer than that).
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #21
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

UPDATE: As planned, I unplugged the right-rear door wire connector (since that is what the "Last VTA Trigger" indicated was triggering the alarm), and the alarm has gone off twice since. I have an appointment setup tomorrow for the next step to solve this issue.

I have a hard time trying to trust dealership service advisors (and some of their technicians). I thought a good next step would be to reprogram the key fob remotes just in case there was local radio interference triggering the alarm. The service advisor, however, says he recommends "diagnosing the issue" first... though I have a bad feeling that could lead down a rabbit hole of misdiagnoses and debt. Remember, their initial thought was to rip open the door panel to check out the door latch, which is now obviously not the source of the issue.

Anyone have any advise as to what my next step(s) should be?

Does anyone know what the part number is for the factory remote start/alarm?
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #22
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

I don't put a whole lot of faith in factory alarms. If you were still under warranty I'd let em fix it. But the factory alarm has several weak points to start with - simply open hood and yank battery wire to disable for one!

If they are gonna play the one fix at a time thing (which is really the only thing that CAN be done from their perspective) I would start considering removal (deactivation) of the factory alarm and installation of a good aftermarket setup - that dealer price could easily get to 400-450 with diagnostic time. An authorized installer usually has the ability to remove the factory stuff. I was quoted 650 by an installer to install a Viper 3303 system on my 11 with inside proximity (for when doors/top are off) - the two way also gives silent alarm paging so I can catch anyone who dares to screw with it .... and that included deactivating the factory stuff. Haven't gone that route yet as my other projects have sucked money out of the budget.

The Viper 350 is comparable to factory in function but adds shock sensor and starter disable AND can be wired into the underhood. I would think that comes in ~400 installed. And there may even be better options out there.
The Jeep wave - it means nothing. Now I look for the RearView wave. Anyone can cause a guy to readjust his rear view at night. But in the daytime when you roll up behind someone and they adjust their mirror to frame your Jeep straighter - THAT'S a compliment!
jwmbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #23
socal_rubi

Have you checked for one of these?

socal_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #24
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Too Cool. Who needs an alarm with Protected by Possum 2000 (v 1.1)!
The Jeep wave - it means nothing. Now I look for the RearView wave. Anyone can cause a guy to readjust his rear view at night. But in the daytime when you roll up behind someone and they adjust their mirror to frame your Jeep straighter - THAT'S a compliment!
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #25
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
I don't put a whole lot of faith in factory alarms. If you were still under warranty I'd let em fix it. But the factory alarm has several weak points to start with - simply open hood and yank battery wire to disable for one!

If they are gonna play the one fix at a time thing (which is really the only thing that CAN be done from their perspective) I would start considering removal (deactivation) of the factory alarm and installation of a good aftermarket setup - that dealer price could easily get to 400-450 with diagnostic time. An authorized installer usually has the ability to remove the factory stuff. I was quoted 650 by an installer to install a Viper 3303 system on my 11 with inside proximity (for when doors/top are off) - the two way also gives silent alarm paging so I can catch anyone who dares to screw with it .... and that included deactivating the factory stuff. Haven't gone that route yet as my other projects have sucked money out of the budget.

The Viper 350 is comparable to factory in function but adds shock sensor and starter disable AND can be wired into the underhood. I would think that comes in ~400 installed. And there may even be better options out there.
Thank you for this suggestion! (There's no warranty.) Replacing the factory alarm was one of my first ideas, but I like the key and the FOB all-in-one. But, an after-market alarm would definitely preform better than factory. When I mentioned going after-market to the service advisor this morning, he said "uhh... I don't know if the factory start-disable can be removed". I'm pretty sure he has no clue (or wants my $$$). Do you know for sure that the factory alarm/start-disable/etc. can all be removed or deactivated even when the keys have the security chip? Thanks again! (Good luck with your budget!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal_rubi View Post
Have you checked for one of these?
Ha! I remember those bastards when I lived in Costa Mesa. They'd hiss at me!

Current Status: The technician is sending an email to the mothership to see if they have any advise or suggestions as to what may be causing the alarm issue. They'll give me a call when they hear back. Stay tuned...
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #26
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwAdamR View Post
Thank you for this suggestion! (There's no warranty.) Replacing the factory alarm was one of my first ideas, but I like the key and the FOB all-in-one. But, an after-market alarm would definitely preform better than factory. When I mentioned going after-market to the service advisor this morning, he said "uhh... I don't know if the factory start-disable can be removed". I'm pretty sure he has no clue (or wants my $$$). Do you know for sure that the factory alarm/start-disable/etc. can all be removed or deactivated even when the keys have the security chip? Thanks again! (Good luck with your budget!)

Ha! I remember those bastards when I lived in Costa Mesa. They'd hiss at me!

Current Status: The technician is sending an email to the mothership to see if they have any advise or suggestions as to what may be causing the alarm issue. They'll give me a call when they hear back. Stay tuned...
I would THINK the factory start disable for the chip stays in place - you merely disable the alarm side. A second disable is created with the aftermarket system. Get with a local authorized installer for Viper or even Python... they can give more details than I can recall.
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #27
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

UPDATE: Spoke with the technician. He said there are two options...

Option 1) Temporarily disconnect the wire that leads from the TIPM to the right-rear door and monitor the alarm activity. This would require disconnecting the TIPM to reach the wire. If the alarm goes off again, this would eliminate the possibility of a faulty wire.

Option 2) Replace the TIPM. Parts: $227 Labor: $160

From what I believe, I think the TIPM is going out... which seems to be somewhat common. Not only is the alarm going off at random times, but sometimes the key FOBs don't work (not a FOB or FOB battery issue), as well as previous e-disco issues. All of which goes through the TIPM. I think Option 2 would be my best bet. I highly doubt that there is a faulty wire between the TIPM and the right-rear door.

I guess there would be a third option, and that would be to get an aftermarket alarm. However, since there seems to be other TIPM-related issues, I'd probably eventually have to replace the TIPM anyway.

What do you guys think?
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #28
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Given other issues I would go with the tipm. If alarm still gives problem disconnect the wire as advised.
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #29
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

UPDATE: Had the dealership replace the TIPM this morning.
Parts: $372, Labor: $71. Thankfully I had a $100 coupon I could use.
Fingers crossed!
Unread 04-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #30
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

UPDATE: 10 days after replacing the TIPM, the alarm randomly went off again last night. So pissed! I'm basically out $500 and nothing has changed. :

I went to the service department first thing this morning. Hooked the Jeep up to the tech's computer and it gave the code that the right-rear door triggered the alarm (same as before). Chrysler recommended unplugging the wire that leads to the right-rear door from the back of the TIPM (plug C-7, wire 14). We went ahead and did that. If the alarm does not go off again, that means there's probably an issue with the wire. If the alarm goes off again, then the tech will recontact Chrysler to see what the next steps might be.

This is the most frustrating issue! If anyone has any other suggestions or advise, that would be greatly appreciated!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.