Factory Alarm Goes Off Randomly (Usually At Night) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Factory Alarm Goes Off Randomly (Usually At Night)

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Factory Alarm Goes Off Randomly (Usually At Night)

I've done some searching and found some similar topics, but no solutions specifically for an '08 JK.

For the last 5 or 6 months my factory alarm has been going off at random times when it's armed, usually in the middle of the night. I'm pretty sure our neighbors are getting pissed (as am I).

I found a TSB for 2011s (http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0805311.pdf), but not specifically for 2008. The TSB seems to describe the issue I'm having, so I took the Jeep and the TSB to the dealership last week. (They have never heard of such an issue.) After plugging the Jeep into their computer, they said there is no updates needed. They also said, however, that the "Last VTA Trigger" was indicating the right rear door was causing the alarm to sound (exactly like the TSB stated it would). They, of course, suggested to start ripping the right rear door apart to investigate the door hatch. I told them to just try a reflash instead, so they did. Since then, the alarm has gone off yet a few more times.

Any advise would be much appreciated!!

nwAdamR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Maybe someone keeps tying to open your door
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

At that age of vehicle the door seals could be rather weak and allowing movement from wind etc.

With it set and armed shake the jeep by the door handle to see if that sets it off. Adjust striker if it does. If that does not solve - the latch itself may have enough wear to not be tight.
Unread 03-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post
Maybe someone keeps tying to open your door
Thanks, but not the case... I've checked our surveillance DVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
At that age of vehicle the door seals could be rather weak and allowing movement from wind etc.

With it set and armed shake the jeep by the door handle to see if that sets it off. Adjust striker if it does. If that does not solve - the latch itself may have enough wear to not be tight.
Thanks. Just tried this on all four doors, the rear gate as well as the hood. Shook things pretty good, and nothing!

Anybody else?
Unread 03-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
YATZI1980
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ghosts has to be...
YATZI1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
PhatJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Maybe you should check the connectors for the door closing sensors. If the corrosion is there, it will impede the current low enough to trip the alarm.

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="White"][B]09 Unlimited Rubicon [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Teraflex 2.5" spring lift kit
ORFAB tire carrier
PhatJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

Is the actual alarm activating or are you getting a steady sounding of the horn ?
djm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatJK View Post
Maybe you should check the connectors for the door closing sensors. If the corrosion is there, it will impede the current low enough to trip the alarm.
I just checked... No corrosion in the connectors. I wiped as much as I could with a Q-tip just in case though. Good suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm View Post
Is the actual alarm activating or are you getting a steady sounding of the horn ?
It's the alarm system, not just the horn itself. I deactivate it with the remote as quickly as I can... usually in a fumbling panic.

Thanks guys... Any other ideas?

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions of replacing the entire remote/security system? I'd rather go OEM and not aftermarket if possible. I'm just trying to think of other plans of attack if needed.

Thanks again!
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Pull the door panels and check the latch switch. Remember as these things have removable doors - the overhead light (and alarm) is sensed within the latch. You could unplug the door wires - if it still goes off the problem is in the controller!
Unread 03-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Best solution yet, just unhook the horn that way when it goes off it wont sound. Then whenever you wake up and see the lights blinking just shut it off
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
PhatJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Pull the door panels and check the latch switch. Remember as these things have removable doors - the overhead light (and alarm) is sensed within the latch. You could unplug the door wires - if it still goes off the problem is in the controller!
Interesting diagnostic solution. Also unplug the rear door gate too. Does the hood has a special latch sensor too? I wonder.

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="White"][B]09 Unlimited Rubicon [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Teraflex 2.5" spring lift kit
ORFAB tire carrier
PhatJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
YATZI1980
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yes in the hood there is a pressure switch
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #13
BigMikeOfTO
2011 JK Wrangler 

When my '11 was just a few weeks old, my alarm kept going off randomly one day as well. I was working outside and left my keys out on the deck exposed in the sun for majority of the day. So I assumed the heat was messing with it...hasn't done it since

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs
BigMikeOfTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
YATZI1980
2011 JK Wrangler 

image-1749776986.jpg
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Do the 12's have a pressure switch? I dont remember seeing one in mine and i can open the hood without it going off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.