JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Factory Alarm Goes Off Randomly (Usually At Night) (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/factory-alarm-goes-off-randomly-usually-night-1496307/)

nwAdamR 03-20-2013 10:22 AM

Factory Alarm Goes Off Randomly (Usually At Night)

I've done some searching and found some similar topics, but no solutions specifically for an '08 JK.

For the last 5 or 6 months my factory alarm has been going off at random times when it's armed, usually in the middle of the night. I'm pretty sure our neighbors are getting pissed (as am I).

I found a TSB for 2011s (http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0805311.pdf), but not specifically for 2008. The TSB seems to describe the issue I'm having, so I took the Jeep and the TSB to the dealership last week. (They have never heard of such an issue.) After plugging the Jeep into their computer, they said there is no updates needed. They also said, however, that the "Last VTA Trigger" was indicating the right rear door was causing the alarm to sound (exactly like the TSB stated it would). They, of course, suggested to start ripping the right rear door apart to investigate the door hatch. I told them to just try a reflash instead, so they did. Since then, the alarm has gone off yet a few more times.

Any advise would be much appreciated!!

toxicwaste29 03-20-2013 12:22 PM

Maybe someone keeps tying to open your door

jwmbishop 03-20-2013 01:32 PM

At that age of vehicle the door seals could be rather weak and allowing movement from wind etc.

With it set and armed shake the jeep by the door handle to see if that sets it off. Adjust striker if it does. If that does not solve - the latch itself may have enough wear to not be tight.

nwAdamR 03-20-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 (Post 15164362)
Maybe someone keeps tying to open your door

Thanks, but not the case... I've checked our surveillance DVR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwmbishop (Post 15164751)
At that age of vehicle the door seals could be rather weak and allowing movement from wind etc.

With it set and armed shake the jeep by the door handle to see if that sets it off. Adjust striker if it does. If that does not solve - the latch itself may have enough wear to not be tight.

Thanks. Just tried this on all four doors, the rear gate as well as the hood. Shook things pretty good, and nothing!

Anybody else?

YATZI1980 03-20-2013 04:54 PM

Ghosts has to be...

PhatJK 03-20-2013 07:58 PM

Maybe you should check the connectors for the door closing sensors. If the corrosion is there, it will impede the current low enough to trip the alarm.

djm 03-20-2013 09:21 PM

Is the actual alarm activating or are you getting a steady sounding of the horn ?

nwAdamR 03-21-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhatJK (Post 15167111)
Maybe you should check the connectors for the door closing sensors. If the corrosion is there, it will impede the current low enough to trip the alarm.

I just checked... No corrosion in the connectors. I wiped as much as I could with a Q-tip just in case though. Good suggestion!

Quote:

Originally Posted by djm (Post 15167586)
Is the actual alarm activating or are you getting a steady sounding of the horn ?

It's the alarm system, not just the horn itself. I deactivate it with the remote as quickly as I can... usually in a fumbling panic.

Thanks guys... Any other ideas?

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions of replacing the entire remote/security system? I'd rather go OEM and not aftermarket if possible. I'm just trying to think of other plans of attack if needed.

Thanks again!

jwmbishop 03-21-2013 09:55 AM

Pull the door panels and check the latch switch. Remember as these things have removable doors - the overhead light (and alarm) is sensed within the latch. You could unplug the door wires - if it still goes off the problem is in the controller!

toxicwaste29 03-21-2013 10:22 AM

Best solution yet, just unhook the horn that way when it goes off it wont sound. Then whenever you wake up and see the lights blinking just shut it off

PhatJK 03-21-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwmbishop (Post 15169445)
Pull the door panels and check the latch switch. Remember as these things have removable doors - the overhead light (and alarm) is sensed within the latch. You could unplug the door wires - if it still goes off the problem is in the controller!

Interesting diagnostic solution. Also unplug the rear door gate too. Does the hood has a special latch sensor too? I wonder.

YATZI1980 03-21-2013 03:19 PM

Yes in the hood there is a pressure switch

BigMikeOfTO 03-21-2013 04:50 PM

When my '11 was just a few weeks old, my alarm kept going off randomly one day as well. I was working outside and left my keys out on the deck exposed in the sun for majority of the day. So I assumed the heat was messing with it...hasn't done it since

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

YATZI1980 03-21-2013 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 590643

toxicwaste29 03-21-2013 07:04 PM

Do the 12's have a pressure switch? I dont remember seeing one in mine and i can open the hood without it going off

The time now is 06:08 PM.