OR-Fab tire carrier install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > OR-Fab tire carrier install

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 09-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

OR-Fab tire carrier install

I ordered my OR-Fab tire carrier from David at Northridge4x4. Got a great deal and Free shipping.
I bought my rear bumper (with no tire carrier) back when no one was reporting any problems with a 35 in their factory mounts. WELL after 10,000 miles on my JK a couple times while off roading and on un-level positions I noticed that my door was sliding across the back bumper as I closed it. I figured it was just a matter of time before it started rubbing every time I closed it.
Enter my OR-Fab tire carrier. This thing was packed and shipped completely entombed in some type of foam that absolutely kept it from moving and or being damaged in shipping.

Unpacked

I began by completely removing the old tire carrier and 3rd brake light assembly.

this is the plug inside the tailgate for the 3rd brake light.

Next I removed both tail lights and the foam insulation at the bottom of the holes.
Next I wedged some of the cardboard shipping box in under the gap between the door and bumper to help hold it up and then removed the hinge T50 Torx bolts.

next I needed to grind out clearance for a boxed end wrench onto the factory tailgate hinges. I used a small drill bit and gradually increased the bit size until I make a big hole then I used a grinder to widen the hole.

Next I needed to re-mount the hinges with the supplies bolts and tapered washers. The tapered washers would not just slide down the bolt and I did not want to pound on them so I pushed them into place by threading the bolt and washer into its hold and using the bold to force its way through the washer.

Now all the bolts and washer are ready for install. Bolts on the left are the factory ones I removed.

I placed the small square spacers under the hinge plate bracket and bolted the hinge in place. I then placed the tailgate hinge spacers on the door and tightened them up with the 4 supplied bolts and tapered washers

6.7 HEMI, ProRock 60's, Atlas 4 speed t-case, on board air, Teraflex long arm plus ACOS, 37 inch Maxxis Trepadors, 5.38 gears, AEV bumper, Custom AEV hood, Warn 9.5, Nemesis aluminum sliders and fenders, Or-Fab front cage, Poly Performance rear cage, Hutchinson Beadlocks, PJ rear bumper, HD Teraflex track bars, tantrum rock lights, woods shafts, corbeau LG-1 seats, Chaser Trailer........TIME TO PLAY!!! Colorado Jeep Club member #177
Brent_f70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Now you have to drill holes near the tailgate latch to mount the landing block bracket/support beam inside the fender. The directions say to use the attached template but my instructions did not have it. They did however say drill the 2 holes 3.25 inches and 10.25 inches from the bottom of the door jam "x axis". By looking at the beam I could tell approximately where the holes needed to be on the "y" axis so I drilled really small holes incase I was not right. Well neither hole was right on but both were very close. With the support beam in its correct position I used the drill bit to mark the relative position of my holes you can see the marks on the beam just on the edge of the mounting holes in this picture.

Then I drilled new holes adjusted based on the marks on the beam.

Once I widened the 2nd holes they engulfed the original holes so the fact that I had to drill 4 holes really wasn't a big deal.

Next I hit the point of no return....DRILLING THROUGH THE BODY!!!
I used a flexible extension for my drill that allowed me to put the extension into the taillight socked from the rear of the jeep, turn 180*, and drill back out of the body in the correct position according to the hole in the landing block mounting bracket. I then taped over the hole to catch metal shavings I was about to create as I drilled a 1" hole in my sheet metal.

Now for the real damage...

NOTICE I ONLY drilled through the 1st layer of sheet metal you have 2 layers right here.

Next the instructions said to place the 1/2 inch spacer on the bolt while mounting the mounting block BUT I did not have a 1/2 inch of space between my 2 layers of sheet metal. I only had about 1/4 of an inch so I used 2 washers on the bolt instead of the spacer and the mounting block sat flush with the outer body of the jeep.

I put silicone under this block to keep out water. I also spray painted ALL holes I drilled in the Jeep with both a primer and high quality spray paint.
Here is the only pic I have of the "block" forgot to take on before I mounted the rack itself. The block is the piece between the taillight and the door.

This is a pic of the back side of the same "block"

Next I needed to put the other bolts into the landing block bracket. By the way this landing block bracket is VERY solid and will definitely keep the rack from damaging the body. This is a pic looking in through the tail light and down towards the bottom of the bracket.
6.7 HEMI, ProRock 60's, Atlas 4 speed t-case, on board air, Teraflex long arm plus ACOS, 37 inch Maxxis Trepadors, 5.38 gears, AEV bumper, Custom AEV hood, Warn 9.5, Nemesis aluminum sliders and fenders, Or-Fab front cage, Poly Performance rear cage, Hutchinson Beadlocks, PJ rear bumper, HD Teraflex track bars, tantrum rock lights, woods shafts, corbeau LG-1 seats, Chaser Trailer........TIME TO PLAY!!! Colorado Jeep Club member #177
Unread 09-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Next I had to move to the passenger side of the jeep and mount the Hinge support brackets. This pic is from the inside of the fender and shows how one of the supports mounts to the top hinge.

This is the other end of that same bracket. It mounts through the top of the body and comes out near the roll bar.

This is the top half of that bolt. I had to drill this hole as well. I marked the location for this hole AFTER I had mounted the other end of the bracket to the backside of the hinge.

Next I mounted the rack to the hinge plate bracket with the supplied bolts, washers, spacers and wavy washers.

To allow for latch clearance and taillight mounting I had to trim both tail light guards.

This rubber stopper was shaped like a dome and would have pushed in on and possibly dented the tailgate so I used my grinder to flatten it out.

ALMOST DONE!!!!

Next I installed the locking bar and mounted the spare tire on the rack. There is a piece of black rubber\plastic between this metal plate and the surface of my wheel.
Unread 09-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Now a few final pics....

I also have to brag on the customer service and technical support provided by both David at Northridge and OR-Fab. I even received an e-mail with PERSONAL CELL PHONE NUMBERS for technical advisors with OR-Fab over the 4 DAY WEEKEND!!!
Unread 09-05-2008, 11:34 PM   #5
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

great write up and great looking tire carrier...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2008, 11:52 PM   #6
OhanaTrails

Very nice Getting impacient waiting for my PJ bumpber/carrier. Might look into this option in combination with an ARB rear bumper Great write up.

Stock Jeepney
OhanaTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie23 View Post
Very nice Getting impacient waiting for my PJ bumpber/carrier. Might look into this option in combination with an ARB rear bumper Great write up.
Mine is a PJ bumper, just bought it without the carrier. LOVE the bumper also!!
Unread 09-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Wow man.... that looks incredible! I love it.
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
1911lover
2008 JK Wrangler 

My hat is off to you Sir. I have NO mechanical savvy or fab. skills, thus I am always awed by posts like this from the members here. It looks terrific, and my wrench/drill hand got nervous and shaky while reading this thread. Seriously, you are to be commended for great work, skills and know how!

1997 Explorer
2008 Liberty
2008 Sahara Unlimited
1911lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
buildingjeeps

would that hold a 37" tire?
buildingjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #11
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildingjeeps View Post
would that hold a 37" tire?
No problems with a 37....rated at 200 lbs. My 35 weighs 92 lbs and there is plenty of room all the way around for more rubber. Next I will mount the jerry cans and hi-lift. Much better solution than the factory holder and I can not stress enough how strong this thing is!!! No rattles, no wiggles...JUST SOLID!!!
Unread 09-07-2008, 06:55 AM   #12
element981
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good.
Jarhead Jeep Club member #17
Colorado Jeep Club member #119
July 14, 2008
RIP Danny Dupre SSgt/USMC
element981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2008, 06:11 AM   #13
SETXWarrior
2007 JK Wrangler 

Hey Brent,
How is that holding up? I noticed yesterday that the spot welds on my tailgate are popping loose, accelerating my time table to replace the factory spare holder.

I really like the looks and the design of this unit. Still no rattles?

BTW, Northridge does not have this listed on the website.
SETXWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #14
ZX14Rider
2008 JK Wrangler 

Looking good !!

Must have been a good weekend for installs, I added a Fab Fours w/tire carrier yesterday....
ZX14Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETXWarrior View Post
Hey Brent,
How is that holding up? I noticed yesterday that the spot welds on my tailgate are popping loose, accelerating my time table to replace the factory spare holder.

I really like the looks and the design of this unit. Still no rattles?

BTW, Northridge does not have this listed on the website.
It is holding up great..No rattles no problems. It is not on the northridge page but if you e-mail them they do have it and david will quote you a good price.

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=51099

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.