OR-Fab Rocker Side Armor, Wrinkle Black (07-13 Wrangler JK 2 Door) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > OR-Fab Rocker Side Armor, Wrinkle Black (07-13 Wrangler JK 2 Door)

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

OR-Fab Rocker Side Armor, Wrinkle Black (07-13 Wrangler JK 2 Door)

Has any one installed these?

http://www.extremeterrain.com/or-fab...-jk-84310.html

How was the instalation process?

Any advice befor I begin?

have you had any isues with rusting?

I also bought the rubber spacer how well does the rubber hold up?

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
Has any one installed these?

http://www.extremeterrain.com/or-fab...-jk-84310.html

How was the instalation process?

Any advice befor I begin?

have you had any isues with rusting?

I also bought the rubber spacer how well does the rubber hold up?
Cyber,

I have heard of 2 things that a few guys have done to make the install a little bit easier. Fist off is that when you drill the holes for the nutserts, center punch the marked area, then drill a pilot hole and use a step bit rather than a standard bit to open the hole to the required size. The step bit won't chew the thin sheet metal up like the standard bit will and the holes will come out cleaner.

Another quick tip is that if you apply a small amount of RTV sealant to the nutserts, it will prevent water from getting into the body and help avoid rust. The nutsert tool they include works good, just keep a small amount of oil on hand to keep the slide lubed.

Here is a copy of the Install Instructions for you to go over before they arrive and you can be familiar with the process. That way it'll go quickly and hopefully really smoothly.

I can't wait to see them installed on your Jeep. Be sure to put some pics up of them!

-Zach
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTZach View Post
Cyber,

I have heard of 2 things that a few guys have done to make the install a little bit easier. Fist off is that when you drill the holes for the nutserts, center punch the marked area, then drill a pilot hole and use a step bit rather than a standard bit to open the hole to the required size. The step bit won't chew the thin sheet metal up like the standard bit will and the holes will come out cleaner.

Another quick tip is that if you apply a small amount of RTV sealant to the nutserts, it will prevent water from getting into the body and help avoid rust. The nutsert tool they include works good, just keep a small amount of oil on hand to keep the slide lubed.

Here is a copy of the Install Instructions for you to go over before they arrive and you can be familiar with the process. That way it'll go quickly and hopefully really smoothly.

I can't wait to see them installed on your Jeep. Be sure to put some pics up of them!

-Zach
I have read the install instructions 6 times . thanks for the advice on the step drill and RTV. im really excited. my only concern with a step bit is I dont want to make the holes to big and the nut cert won't fit. I'm scared this is a one time shot lol.

Thought of the day
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

^^^ If the hole is slightly larger (a few thousands) the nutsert will still work. Just keep plenty of pressure on it while getting it to expand and it eventually catch. When it does, remove the tool and check to be sure it’s (nutsert) seated squarely. If not then tap it softly to lay it flat and continue to tighten.

The step bit is the best way to go like mentioned but if the hole size will turn out to be too big then just carefully work your way up with conventional bits and the hole will turn out just fine.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have read the install instructions 6 times . thanks for the advice on the step drill and RTV. im really excited. my only concern with a step bit is I dont want to make the holes to big and the nut cert won't fit. I'm scared this is a one time shot lol.
Haha I don't blame you, I just drilled in to my body for the first time the other day. It took the old measure twice cut once adage to the extreme. I probably measured 10 times before I even center punched the holes.

You can use a regular drill bit if you are worried about the step bit. Just do like 1222 said and just step up the size. I actually did make the hole too big when I used a step bit the first time. So, if it's going to be your first time maybe practice on a scrap piece of metal.

Other than that you shouldn't have any problems! Good luck and I look forward to seeing the final product.

-Zach
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Haha I don't blame you, I just drilled in to my body for the first time the other day. It took the old measure twice cut once adage to the extreme. I probably measured 10 times before I even center punched the holes.

You can use a regular drill bit if you are worried about the step bit. Just do like 1222 said and just step up the size. I actually did make the hole too big when I used a step bit the first time. So, if it's going to be your first time maybe practice on a scrap piece of metal.

Other than that you shouldn't have any problems! Good luck and I look forward to seeing the final product.

-Zach
Thanks bud

Thought of the day
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Yeah definitely be careful with the bits, I had an issue with a run when I was installing my sliders. The center punch did help out a lot though. Also insuring you have the proper nutsert tools help a lot. JCR had a jacked up excuse for a tool to install theirs.
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks bud
You got it! Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. Also, shoot me some pics of them installed. You got me looking into them for my JK and I may jsut have to get a set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIES2010 View Post
Yeah definitely be careful with the bits, I had an issue with a run when I was installing my sliders. The center punch did help out a lot though. Also insuring you have the proper nutsert tools help a lot. JCR had a jacked up excuse for a tool to install theirs.
Yea, the OR Fab took isn't too terrible. I watched a few videos of the install and this tool doesn't seem too hard to use.

-Zach
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You got it! Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. Also, shoot me some pics of them installed. You got me looking into them for my JK and I may jsut have to get a set.

Yea, the OR Fab took isn't too terrible. I watched a few videos of the install and this tool doesn't seem too hard to use.

-Zach
ACE gave me a nutsert tool to use on my fenders and it was stupid easy. JCR definitely lacks here. A combination of bolt you use to manually set the nutsert. Great concept but if you didn't apply pressure the nutert didn't set flush like it was supposed to. Hindsight I would have been more patient and ordered a good nutsert tool.
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
JcrOffroad
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIES2010 View Post
ACE gave me a nutsert tool to use on my fenders and it was stupid easy. JCR definitely lacks here. A combination of bolt you use to manually set the nutsert. Great concept but if you didn't apply pressure the nutert didn't set flush like it was supposed to. Hindsight I would have been more patient and ordered a good nutsert tool.
This is apples to oranges because they are using 1/4 aluminum nutserts I believe.

A nutsert tool to crush a 5/16 or 3/8 steel nutsert is about $150+.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MAR...ing-Tool-4BB23

The ORFab tool is a cool idea, but I don't know it's capacity.

We could switch to aluminum nutserts (and save money on drill bits since they are .500 holes) but I don't like the flange size, and I don't like having to worry about the issues using aluminum hardware brings.

I understand that sometimes crushing these things is a new process that takes one or two to get the hang off, but I have a $200 nutsert tool here, and I still use the same thing we supply in the hardware kits with an impact because honestly it does a cleaner crush.

I'll be happy to listen to any ideas customers have about improvements though, so please keep letting us know of these issues
JcrOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcrOffroad View Post
This is apples to oranges because they are using 1/4 aluminum nutserts I believe.

We could switch to aluminum nutserts (and save money on drill bits since they are .500 holes) but I don't like the flange size, and I don't like having to worry about the issues using aluminum hardware brings.

I understand that sometimes crushing these things is a new process that takes one or two to get the hang off, but I have a $200 nutsert tool here, and I still use the same thing we supply in the hardware kits with an impact because honestly it does a cleaner crush.

I'll be happy to listen to any ideas customers have about improvements though, so please keep letting us know of these issues
Im sad now. I have aluminum nuts

Thought of the day
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
JcrOffroad
Vendor

Quote:
Im sad now. I have aluminum nuts
It's fine.
The smaller ones (1/4") have a small enough hole the flange size works great; just use anti-seize on your hardware
JcrOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcrOffroad View Post

Hey its no worries. I love your products. I run your Dagger Series bumpers and the sliders. Tough product great quality. Just couldn't stand your hardware kit. Although If you are using an impact gun vs. hand tightening like it was shown in your instructions I would say changing your instructions would be a welcomed idea.
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have used JCR and PSC all give you the same Bolt and nut a few washers to set the rivnuts( use a wee bit of grease at the top of the bolt and washer to break friction. Jcr include a drill bit(by the way that must cost alot to send in evey kit) Thank you for this Bit added to my many I have. I still use my step bit, less chance of ripping that super thin Jk metal. But for thicker steal and riv nuts that bit is the cats a$$.

Love JCR stuff great price, american.
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

I got my stuff sent while I was overseas. The bit they sent went MIA on me. Probably buried somewhere in my garage. Lucky to have a neighbor who has a nicer tool collection than mine.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.