Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

fab fours bumper? winch? pics?

4K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  N2rock 
#1 ·
Anyone out there have a fab fours bumper? I am looking at the full length fab fours that has the lights already with it. Anyone have any pics with this bumper on their Jeep? I am looking at replacing my factory plastic bumper and like the looks of this one. Any other suggestions? Not a whole lot of off-roading so clearance with tires isn't a real big issue. Also, it has a place for the winch. If I wanted to wait on spending the $$ for the winch, I'm assuming that I would have to take the bumper back off in the future to put a winch on?? Anyone suggestions if I don't put the winch in now? Don't want it to look odd. Anyone with this bumper, what kind of winch did you install and did it fit it real easy?

#2 ·
I have a Fab Fours on the front and back of my JK. I don't think I have taken a picture of it yet. The winch opening looks like a gaping hole without a winch in it.

Be warned, there are a lot of winches that won't fit in there. It takes the long and narrow ones. Power Plant, 9.5TI will not fit. I have a 9,5 XP in mine.

#3 ·
I think the Fab Fours bumper is the most expensive bumper for the JK. If there are those kinds of short comings with restrictions on winch type etc. I would reconsider. For a premium price, you should get a premium product. I'm laughing all the way to the bank with my mopar bumpers.

#4 ·
A premium price on a nice quality built great looking bumper! Shortcomings? cause it does not fit a certain winch? Huh? that makes zero sense.... Hell The Jeep is a premium price for an offroad vehicle but you cannot just change any part you want on it.

A bumper with a certain style and shape is not going to fit everything you want it to.... I would take that Fab Fours over the Mopar bumper anyday... and I would not put the Fab Fours on my JEep.

#5 ·
How about the AEV front bumper. It also has a really nice look if you want the full bumper. It is in the same price category of the Fab Fours bumper though. Anyone have any pics or experience with this bumper? I also like the way you can incorporate the winch and added lights below the bar, but my guess is the AEV would be more expensive by the time you added lights and all.

#6 ·
The AEV is nice, but I really like my Shrockworks. Plus, they have a good selection of cover plates and such so you could upgrade to a winch later and not have it look unfinished until you do. Have no experience with the others, so no idea what their options are.

What specifically are you looking for in a front bumper other than looks and a winch point? You have a ton of options in the price range you are considering.

#7 ·
I first want something that looks good and is an upgrade from the stock bumper. Most I've seen are an upgrade in appearance from the stock bumper. Second, I would like to have a winch bumper, although I don't see using too often. I would rather have a bumper that would allow me to put a winch on later instead of doing it all at once like you stated. I like the looks of the AEV and how you can add lights below the bar. I know some people don't like a full bumper and would rather have a stubby, but I am not sold on that look. I am mainly doing local commuting or highway driving with my Jeep, so I am thinking a full bumper might be better. I am not against anything though. I am pretty open to ideas.

#9 ·
Here's a couple of mine

#10 ·
Looks good. I guess that is what they call the mid length bumper? That is sort of a compromise between a stubby and a full length. I think I still prefer the look of the added lights under the bar like I have seen on the AEV bumper, but I do like that you can add lights like you have done. I would be considerably cheaper to go with the Shrockworks over the AEV. Any trouble getting this bumper on or any modifications that had to be done? What kind of winch do you have?

#11 ·
Yes, that is the mid-width.
No troubles or changes necessary- bolts right up, and includes the skid plate which is very stout.

The winch I'm using is Smittybilt XRC8 (inexpensive).

As for winch compatibility on the Shrockworks, this is from their website:
MOST winches b/t 8000 & 9500 will fit. Known exceptions: Warn 8275, Superwinch EP & EPi, any worm gear style winch (these are typically industrial winches such as the ramsey RE 12000 and look very different from normal winches) The Tmax short-drum comp winch and the Warn 9.0RC will require re-drilling some holes. The Ramsey short-drum comp winch will bolt up w/o any mods.

#12 ·
What I meant is it should fit the majority of popular winches. I could see it not fitting every single winch, as that is impossible, but when most other bumpers on the market are fitting the majority of popular winches and then one of the more expensive ones doesn't, it as at least cause for pause.

#13 ·
If I went with a Shrockworks front bumper or even the AEV bumper, would you suggest going ahead and spending a little more money and putting in an inexpensive winch? I have seen several winches and some of them stick up real high. Some of the others seem more low key. I like the looks of the more streamlined and low key winches. I don't want the winch sticking up real high. I would rather have it mostly covered. I guess I am thinking that if I were getting a new bumper, that it might look better to go ahead and put in a winch, even though it might not be real nice. I could always replace it later.

#14 ·
You don't have to put a winch in if you don't want. Shrockworks sells a plate to cover the hole in the top if you don't want a winch.

#15 · (Edited)
Like you, I didn't want a winch sitting high, block the air flow of my radiator. It has more to do with bumper design than anything. Some bumpers, you drop the winch into and others, you set the winch on top of. External solenoid vs. internal solenoid are the two major types of 12volt electric winches, with the internal being a lower profile. I went with a warn 9.5ti that I was able to get a good deal on. Here are a couple of pictures.

#16 ·
I am just having a hard time spending close to $1K for a winch that won't get used hardly at all. Well, at least it won't get used much in the near future. Maybe down the road it will get used more. I am also a firm believer in you get what you pay for. So I don't like purchasing cheap stuff and then waiting for it to break down. How much were you able to get your winch for if you don't mind me asking?

#18 ·
I think a winch is something I would not want to scrimp to much on.
Warn makes a nice entry level winch called a Tabor. Seems to work fairly well. Much better then the ****tybuilt winches

#17 ·
I bought mine new in the box from someone on this forum for $800. Before I found that deal, I was considering a Superwinch EPi 9.0 which does cost substantially less but it is still a very good winch and many on this forum run it. I would also like to point out that the mopar bumper is available in winch and non-winch versions. The shrockworks bumpers have plates that can cover the hole until you have a winch. My comment regarding price of a bumper was just to point out that a good bumper doesn't have to break the bank. If someone wants to spend $1,400 on a front bumper that is fine by me but I was merely pointing out that there are alternative options that even though they cost less, aren't junk. I think VegasJeep gets mad everytime I point this out, and I really don't know why.

That being said, there are some junk bumpers out there, particularly on ebay.

#19 ·
Everyone has their own taste and what looks good to them. I personally favor the AEV bumper, but I am not sure I want to pay that much for it. I also am an instant gratification person and I think I would want a winch if the bumper was made for a winch. So even though I say I could do without a winch right now and add it later, my gut tells me I should just buy the winch and get it installed at the same time. I don't want to buy junk for a winch, but I don't need a competitive style winch either. Prot, I also believe you are right in that there are other good bumpers at a much cheaper price. The Mopar bumper is a decent alternative to the AEV, as well as the Shrockworks mid bumper. Just have to decide how much I want to spend I guess???

#22 ·
Yeah, it's good to look at all options. I beat myself up for a long time trying to decide on which bumper. The ARB Deluxe, which has built in fog light options was my initial first choice. There are more bumpers available now than what I bought mine. I think the Rugged Ridge modular bumper is worth considering, as you can change it to different configurations as your needs/wants change. The price on it is reasonable as well.

http://www.quadratec.com/showcases/rugged_ridge/modular_bumper/default.php

#23 ·
The FABFOURS front and rear bumpers were a very easy install, and yes, you can very easily install the winch (Warn 8000) after you install the bumper.

#24 ·
Yeah, I have also looked at the Rugged Ridge Modular bumper as well. I like it also. I think I could go with 5 or so bumpers and be very happy with any of them, but I am having a hard time deciding which one I really want vs would I be just as satisfied with another bumper and spend less money. I am thinking the latter.

#25 ·
I went thru the same thing. I finally put it up for my wife to decide- I showed her the 5 bumpers I liked, and asked her which she thought looked best. She picked the Shrockworks mid-width, and I have never looked back. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.