Extra mods that must be made with lift. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Extra mods that must be made with lift.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 01-13-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
Sessums43

Extra mods that must be made with lift.

Hey guys I apologize if this isn't in the correct place this is my first post and I am brand new to this site. I am looking at purchasing a 4 inch lift for my 2013 4 door rubicon and am curious what other modifications must be made along with it such as a longer drive shaft, beefing up the steering, axles, or gearing. Thanks for the help!

Sessums43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 01:26 AM   #2
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

well first of all, what is your reason for this size of lift? gearing, axle strength, drive shafts strength etc depend on tire size. drive shafts must be replaced due to the added wear from the increased pinion angle when lifting. when aligning after a lift you want a good pinion angle, but you can only get so much due to needed caster. some lifts will or won't include bump stops, which is dependent on tire size and clearance between the top of the tire and the closest contact point as the tire travels up. steering angles such as drag link and track bar need to be addressed, yes i am including track bar in steering. most kits will include a bracket, but this will make your track bar and draglink at opposite angles which can cause some problems, to fix this most go with a drag link flip kit. do not use a drop pit man arm. the best you can do for yourself is read up, find out exactly what you need. don't skimp out on suspension, youll pay for it in the long run
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 03:35 AM   #3
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Look at the lift you are getting and put some info about it in here. Some of the uprades people might suggest might already be included in your choice of lift.

My lift came with the high steer kit from Rock Krawler. I paired with upgraded brackets from Poly Performance when I had my sleeves installed. Since I put it on at the same time as the lift I honestly can't tell you how much difference it made, but I like my ride. Beefed up components all around to include my knuckles and balljoints.

Also don't waste money on an aftermarket steering stabilizer. The stock one will hold up fine and they are way cheaper to replace when you crush yours if you dont move it lol.
Unread 01-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

Why 4”? what size tire are you going to run? What type of off-roading do you do? What lift are you looking at?

The thing is 4” is high for a JK. A JK can fit 35’s or even 37’s on just 2.5” of lift. It is expensive to do 4” correctly. If you are wanting 35’s a 2.5” lift will easily accommodate and you will skip most other things needed to properly run 4”. If you are rolling with 4.10 gearing, you may be ok with going up to 35’s.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKR8R View Post
Why 4”? what size tire are you going to run? What type of off-roading do you do? What lift are you looking at?

The thing is 4” is high for a JK. A JK can fit 35’s or even 37’s on just 2.5” of lift. It is expensive to do 4” correctly. If you are wanting 35’s a 2.5” lift will easily accommodate and you will skip most other things needed to properly run 4”. If you are rolling with 4.10 gearing, you may be ok with going up to 35’s.

-Dan
While 37s would fit on a 2.5" lift I would not wheel it. I have 37s on a 3.5" lift and I am about to add 4" springs.

3.5 with flat fenders is enough clearance for 37s. I would honeslty say it would be the minimum I would run. I wanted HD coils and found out not too many people make a 3.5 HD coil. So 4" it is.
Unread 01-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIES2010 View Post
While 37s would fit on a 2.5" lift I would not wheel it. I have 37s on a 3.5" lift and I am about to add 4" springs.

3.5 with flat fenders is enough clearance for 37s. I would honeslty say it would be the minimum I would run. I wanted HD coils and found out not too many people make a 3.5 HD coil. So 4" it is.
personally, i would only go above 2.5" on a four door, a four door 3.5-4" is a great height, on a two door there's no reason. unless you want an even 6/6 travel, which i'm currently running 4/8 and happy with it
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #7
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
personally, i would only go above 2.5" on a four door, a four door 3.5-4" is a great height, on a two door there's no reason. unless you want an even 6/6 travel, which i'm currently running 4/8 and happy with it
Definately agree. With the right lifts you can get everything in the right spot. I kind of have the luxary that I bought a 5.5" lift and ran 3.5" springs on it, so moving up to 4" for me isn't going to change anything. I already have aftermarket driveshafts, swaybar link exetensions, brake extensions etc.
Unread 01-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIES2010 View Post

Plenty of 2.5" with 37's wheeling. I had a 2.5" lift with 35's and slipped in a3/4" puck and had enough room for 37's, easy. Ever read Planman's write up on running big tires on minimal lift? I think he ran 40's on 3.5" at one point.

At any rate I think a lot of people new to JK's equate lift height to lifts for pickups. The most common probably being a 4" lift to fit 33's or 35's on a pickup. When you get to JK's it is a whole different ballgame. 2.5" lifts accomplish the same thing. Same with coming from TJ's or older Wranglers. TJ guys need run like 6" lifts to fit 35's. But I ramble. On a 4 door, yes I would probably want a 3.5" at least to run 37's but not to say it cant be done at 2.5" and wheeled fine with the appropriate accouterments.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #9
avatheredjeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

Larger tires will also wear out your factory suspension components real quick. You could get away with 35's on stock stuff for a while but once one ball joint starts to wear, you get a little wobble and that puts extra stress on everything else, synergy makes nice, heavy duty ball joints. Also, check out Artec or Rock Krawler for C-gussets and as mentioned, you will need new bump stops. The bigger tire, the longer the bumpstop, to prevent the tire from rubbing the fender.
avatheredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
I do agree 4 doors suck and need more lift. I do think though that all 2 doors should be stretched and in that case a higher lift is not as big of a deal. A non stretched 2 door wont be as stable as I feel it should especially on a short/mid arm. Im running 4.25" netted lift with 5/7. No issues what so ever. Jks have **** for ground clearance compared to others and imo need a decent lift to help counter it.
Unread 01-14-2014, 02:38 AM   #11
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Agreed that all JKs benefit from at least 2.5" of lift. To the OP, IMHO, I'd only run 4" of lift if I were set up to run 38's or larger. 37's can be easily ran on a good (proper) 3" lift, proper bumpstops and flat fenders. Also added benefit of keeping a lower center of gravity. PLUS there are thousands of dollars of extra cost associated with going over 3" of lift on a JK. And your stock axle assemblies won't stand 37's without being beefed up somehow. Hope you got the cash if you want to do it right.

^^ Oh, I'm also pretty sure that a stock JK has more ground clearance than a stock TJ.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #12
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
Agreed that all JKs benefit from at least 2.5" of lift. To the OP, IMHO, I'd only run 4" of lift if I were set up to run 38's or larger. 37's can be easily ran on a good (proper) 3" lift, proper bumpstops and flat fenders. Also added benefit of keeping a lower center of gravity. PLUS there are thousands of dollars of extra cost associated with going over 3" of lift on a JK. And your stock axle assemblies won't stand 37's without being beefed up somehow. Hope you got the cash if you want to do it right.

^^ Oh, I'm also pretty sure that a stock JK has more ground clearance than a stock TJ.
not sure on the tj, but im guessing its damn close. ill have to measure my buddies and check. Yjs stomp a jk in ground clearance. If i recall correctly though the tjs also have slightly more clearance when modified. I know if i ran a smaller lift than 4" i would hit on tons more things and i already hit on a ton. Jks need a ton more work to get stuff from hanging so low, and even when modified its not as much of a gain as on other models. And i only run 35s. Id keep the same lift height though weather i went to 37"s though. 40"s i might even go higher.
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #13
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
unless you want an even 6/6 travel, which i'm currently running 4/8 and happy with it
Quote:
netted lift with 5/7
I should probably stay in the TJ section and quit prowling the JK threads , but what is 6/6, 4/8, etc referring to?
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #14
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

6" up and 6" in the shock stroke.

?
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #15
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
6" up and 6" in the shock stroke.
got it! tnx
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.