Extending the bumper just a hair... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-02-2016, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Neo1130
2015 JK Wrangler 

Extending the bumper just a hair...

So my Rugged Ridge bumper is just a hair too far back in my opinion... I want to bring it out just a hair... When I removed the stock bumper there were 4 little bone shaped spacers that were taken off... Can I put these between the frame and bumper to pull it out without issue? The parts I was thinking about using are the ones in front of his bumper here...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-02-2016, 05:27 PM
invest2m4
2013 JK Wrangler 

Pretty sure you are supposed to reuse those. Most bumpers I've worked with reuse them.

So long as the bolts are long enough, absolutely no issue reusing those spacers.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-03-2016, 07:43 AM
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

I believe those are supposed to go on the back side of the frame so the bolts don't pull thru during a recovery ripping your bumper off. If you want to push the bumper forward some, just stack a few washers on the front side but I would keep those parts on the back side of the frame for sure.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-03-2016, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Neo1130
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy18 View Post
I believe those are supposed to go on the back side of the frame so the bolts don't pull thru during a recovery ripping your bumper off. If you want to push the bumper forward some, just stack a few washers on the front side but I would keep those parts on the back side of the frame for sure.
Well, I've got two sets of em so they'll go on the front AND back of the frame!
post #5 of 6 Old 01-03-2016, 05:10 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy18 View Post
I believe those are supposed to go on the back side of the frame so the bolts don't pull thru during a recovery ripping your bumper off.
You are correct, according to the parts book I am looking at.

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #6 of 6 Old 01-05-2016, 12:33 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

The spanner washers DO go behind - and span the holes to add strength as pointed out above. use some like them as a solid spacer up front or you could even make some from flat stock. I would avoid a washer stack - can add deflection making small minor bump like ledge drop something that leaves a misalignment...
The only issue I see in moving it fwd is if you ever want to run an approach skid - it wont meet up at the bumper without some modification...

OMG is that a denim lab coat? flashbacks to high school Auto Shop... lol

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a hard knock...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.