Exhaust = Voided Warranty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhaust = Voided Warranty?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Airborneguy8
2010 JK Wrangler 

Exhaust = Voided Warranty?

Will a Cat-back exhaust void my 36,000 mile warranty? I have read the warranty and the wording on exhaust modifications is a little vague. I want to upgrade my exhaust as soon as possible, but want to make sure I hold onto that warranty for a little while at least (I've only had the Jeep 4 days!)

Thanks.

Unread 07-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
FrostByte
2009 JK Wrangler 

I wouldn't think so, but the best bet is to ask your Jeep dealership. Some are more mod friendly than others.

º||||||º
FrostByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

If its a straight bolt up system, and they void your warranty for it, that is crazy...but I am hearing more and more about crazy dealers...but with all the trucks, jeeps, and performance cars going around with new exhausts, I can't see how they would...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
OneLoud
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It should not, but you should still go in and talk to your local dealer to make sure they don't care. I put a cat back system on my '08 Silverado with 115 miles on it and never had any issues when the truck went back in for warranty work.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pay-forward-1091342/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pay-forward-1091342/[/URL]
^Check this thread out!!!^

"What is this? It's my car, it's a Prius. It literally feels like I'm riding around in a vigina right now!"
OneLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
kik

I just had a Cat back dual SS system installed on my 10 Rubi. My dealer has no problem with it because it's "after" the Catalytic Converter. Therefore, it doesn't affect emissions, computer, etc. which is the whole purpose of this type of system. I went with the Rugged Ridge with Gibson slash cut tips and like it because we wanted a decent SS direct bolt on no modification system without much of an increase in sound volume. Once you decide what type of system you want talk to the dealer as was previously mentioned, but they may want to talk you into the Mopar system which is understandable. Search the Forum for more info. on why members chose the systems that they installed and what they were looking for; performance, sound, appearance.
kik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Airborneguy8
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses. I spoke to the dealer, and they said a Cat-Back system that is bolt on and installed by a mechanic will not void the warranty. Luckily, my mother's boyfriend owns a shop and will give me a "receipt". Hope this info helps someone else.
Unread 07-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
owtdorz
2009 JK Wrangler 

No warranty problems just throwing $$ away for an obnoxious noise maker.
No REAL performance gain.
Unread 07-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
hwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
No warranty problems just throwing $$ away for an obnoxious noise maker.
No REAL performance gain.
Is there proof there are no "real" performance gain.

I usually dyno each and every mod on my cars, but this being the wifes Jeep I don't think I will go that route. But I do plan on changing the cat back exhaust and looking at it don't see how there could not be a performance gain even if minimal.

And a dealership has to prove that said part is the cause of their problem....it is the LAW. So aftermarket parts do not automatically void your warranty...there is exceptions but they are pretty common sense that you will not have a warranty on most of the jeep after they are done.
hwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:00 AM   #9
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

I had an MBRP dual exhaust kit on my 2007 Dakota and they never said anything about it. Oh, and it will give you a slight but hardly noticeable power gain. Maybe 2-3 horsepower in the upper rev-range. Although, the MBRP kit I put on my Dakota was SUPPOSED to boost it about 12 HP. Don't know if I believe that or not but judging from the dual muffler setup that came on there stock I would say it was making it hard for the engine to breath.

I need to get a catback for mine. I'm tired of it sounding like a minivan. I want it to sound scuzzy like my old Jeep... like a Jeep should sound.
TheDustMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 03:17 AM   #10
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy8 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I spoke to the dealer, and they said a Cat-Back system that is bolt on and installed by a mechanic will not void the warranty. Luckily, my mother's boyfriend owns a shop and will give me a "receipt". Hope this info helps someone else.
They can't force you to pay a shop to install your aftermarket accessories in order to maintain warranty, just like they can't force you to pay an oil & lube place to change your oil to keep your warranty in effect, either.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:52 AM   #11
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwill View Post
Is there proof there are no "real" performance gain..
Is there proof that there is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwill View Post
I usually dyno each and every mod on my cars
You have a dynometer?
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #12
OneLoud
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Is there proof that there is?
Really intelligent response! You just had someone call your bluff and you responded like a 4 year old. I agree with the other guy. It might be very minimal and not really worth the cost, but I have a very hard time believing that there is NO gains to be had. You are taking out a restrictive muffler and adding in a more free flowing one.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pay-forward-1091342/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pay-forward-1091342/[/URL]
^Check this thread out!!!^

"What is this? It's my car, it's a Prius. It literally feels like I'm riding around in a vigina right now!"
OneLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
JKIslander
2010 JK Wrangler 

I forget the name of it, but there is legislation in place to prevent them from just randomly voiding your warranty for this kind of stuff. If you perform modifications to your vehicle and something happens, they have to proove that the modification was the cause for the failure of parts before they can refuse your warranty claim. They cannot simply void your warranty for the addition of aftermarket parts.
JKIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #14
FrostByte
2009 JK Wrangler 

It's probably the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

Magnuson

º||||||º
FrostByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #15
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLoud View Post
Really intelligent response! You just had someone call your bluff and you responded like a 4 year old. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLoud View Post
I agree with the other guy. It might be very minimal and not really worth the cost, but I have a very hard time believing that there is NO gains to be had. You are taking out a restrictive muffler and adding in a more free flowing one.
That's because you blindly believe the marketing instead of asking for the facts as I did. Think about it for just a moment, if auomotive manufacturers are being squeezed by the Feds for evey last bit of MPG's, don't you'd think they already put in all that crap like "performance" exhaust, CAI, and TB spacers if it in fact worked?

Tags
aftermarket , exhaust , warranty , jk

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.