Exhaust oppinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhaust oppinions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip Elim07-15 jeep JK Spare Tire Carrier Delete Plate

Unread 02-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #1
mountainbike63
2011 JK Wrangler 

Exhaust oppinions

Ok. So I am sure that this has already been discussed somewhere. If so, please direct me and I am sorry for wasting your time.

If not... I have a 2011 JKU Sahara and I am pondering an exhaust upgrade. What can anyone tell me about Dynomax Super Turbo vs Dynomax Ultra Flow? If you have another option, please feel free. Please keep in mind that I would like some sound, but not enough to upset the wife while driving...
Thank you in advance!!

mountainbike63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #2
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

No problem, ask away!

I recently was going through the same dilemma as you. Settled on the Flowmaster 40. But am reconsidering my choice now. The Flowmaster 40 is kinda loud for my tastes.

But here is one that is 9 pages of info for you to peruse.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...lives-1091317/
"Boing Clash Boom!" - Dada Life
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 09:40 PM   #3
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainbike63 View Post
Ok. So I am sure that this has already been discussed somewhere. If so, please direct me and I am sorry for wasting your time.

If not... I have a 2011 JKU Sahara and I am pondering an exhaust upgrade. What can anyone tell me about Dynomax Super Turbo vs Dynomax Ultra Flow? If you have another option, please feel free. Please keep in mind that I would like some sound, but not enough to upset the wife while driving...
Thank you in advance!!
Not sure about the ones ur asked but my buddy is running a duynomax performance exhaust just where the resonator is and his sounds good a bit loud but still nice.

I just installed a flow master 44 where my stock muffler is and I kept the resonator I love how it sounds, on start up it has a mean growl then when idling u only hear a small rumble, first gear to second gear it gargles a bit at higher rpms at hiway speds it has no droning at all. Today I drove the jeep a lot coming and going the amount of people that sped by me after I take off from a light was funny as heck
Moezer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #4
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

forumrunner_20150211_214403.jpg

Here's how mine looks I made sure to tuck it as high as I could
Unread 02-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

WOW, you guys must have virgin ears

I've gone thru Flowmaster 50/ 40/super 40 and my final favorite is Flowmaster series 10-

It isn't loud--just deep and mellow/w a rap-as long as you leave all cats installed

I've even got the "10" on my Ranger 4.0 liter-DYNOMITE-

The closest v8 sounding I've had, for a v6 !

Whatever

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 09:52 PM   #6
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
WOW, you guys must have virgin ears

I've gone thru Flowmaster 50/ 40/super 40 and my final favorite is Flowmaster series 10-

It isn't loud--just deep and mellow/w a rap-as long as you leave all cats installed

I've even got the "10" on my Ranger 4.0 liter-DYNOMITE-

The closest v8 sounding I've had, for a v6 !

Whatever

JIMBO
Lol my 44 sounds like a Lambo hahaha
Unread 02-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #7
Dynomax_Exhaust
Exhaust Experts!
2013 JK Wrangler 

Super Turbo is a bit louder than stock.
Ultra Flo Welded is about a 4-5 out of 10.
If you are looking for the "happy wife, happy life" look to the VT muffler or system.

We also have a killer guarantee, if you aren't happy in the first 90 days return it for a refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainbike63 View Post

Thank you in advance!!
Dynomax_Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 05:26 PM   #8
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I use super turbo in my JK. its a 3" model. if you look by the transfer case you can see a flowmaster 2.5" to 3" y pipe, then a magna flow 3" in/out with 4" diameter body, then afe 3" pipe to the super turbo. This is how I got the drone out when my LS motor goes to AFM mode.
89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
JohnRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #9
JTPhoto
2008 JK Wrangler 

Super44 , 2.5" in and out mid body with custom tailpipe ... It's been on for 3 years and still love the sound.
Unread 02-13-2015, 08:39 AM   #10
Dynomax_Exhaust
Exhaust Experts!
2013 JK Wrangler 

Any sound clips of this bad boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRodriguez View Post
I use super turbo in my JK. its a 3" model. if you look by the transfer case you can see a flowmaster 2.5" to 3" y pipe, then a magna flow 3" in/out with 4" diameter body, then afe 3" pipe to the super turbo. This is how I got the drone out when my LS motor goes to AFM mode.
Dynomax_Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #11
shull360CJ7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Didn't want to start a new thread so....

Yesterday I bought a Flowmaster Super 44 and cut out my stock muffler at the axle and used a 90 elbow and mounted the new one relatively close to the stock location, just angled a little. I then cut the tail pipe off the stock muffler and added it to the end of the Flowmaster, which has it exiting almost exactly where it used to. It's is clamped up tight and hung from the passenger rear corner hanger with a universal L bracket and rubber strap kit. I had planned to have everything welded up once I was happy with the location.

It drones so bad in the cab I cannot stand it!!!! Does anyone else have this problem? I think it's a Flowmaster thing but I totally regret hacking off the stock muffler now! Imagine what the wife will say if i have to find and buy a stock take-off!

Any advice about fixing the drone, if possible, would be appreciated

Brian

Immigrant from the CJ world...be patient...I can be taught
shull360CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #12
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Welcome aboard! Question: Is this on a TJ or JK? Probably doesn't matter...

I have the Flowmaster 40, in the stock JK location.
Yes, it IS loud/drones. Sometimes I like the noise, other times, I dream of a Flowmaster 70.

I know some people have placed another muffler upstream, near the Evap Canister, and that helped with the noise.

But personally, I don't want more weight/something else to get banged up. So, I think I'll get the Flowmaster 70 installed for "peace" of mind.
Unread 06-03-2015, 12:51 PM   #13
shull360CJ7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's an '07JK 2dr. I guess I never updated my profile from ditching the TJ, which I regret every day!

Immigrant from the CJ world...be patient...I can be taught
shull360CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #14
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shull360CJ7 View Post
It's an '07JK 2dr. I guess I never updated my profile from ditching the TJ, which I regret every day!
LOL, newer doesn't necessarily mean better. We've all made that trial & error mistake at some point. It's all good.

Some people have gone the LOUDER IS BETTER!!! route and like it (*cough* JIMBOX *cough*).

Maybe a resonator installed near the evap canister (mid-body, upstream of the muffler) can help.

If is it not tolerable, scrap the FM Super 40, and look at the other options (Flowmaster 50, 60, 70), or an entirely different brand (i.e. Dynamax). If you don't like the drone, save yourself the misery, bite the bullet$, and swap the muffler for something else. Should be a relatively easy swap.
Unread 06-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #15
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shull360CJ7 View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread so....

Yesterday I bought a Flowmaster Super 44 and cut out my stock muffler at the axle and used a 90 elbow and mounted the new one relatively close to the stock location, just angled a little. I then cut the tail pipe off the stock muffler and added it to the end of the Flowmaster, which has it exiting almost exactly where it used to. It's is clamped up tight and hung from the passenger rear corner hanger with a universal L bracket and rubber strap kit. I had planned to have everything welded up once I was happy with the location.

It drones so bad in the cab I cannot stand it!!!! Does anyone else have this problem? I think it's a Flowmaster thing but I totally regret hacking off the stock muffler now! Imagine what the wife will say if i have to find and buy a stock take-off!

Any advice about fixing the drone, if possible, would be appreciated

Brian
perhaps since its all clamped up and not wielded its not 100% sealed? my 44 doesn't drone at all and when idling sometimes I think the jeeps off and I come to start it again XD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.