Exhaust manifold.....hard to replace??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhaust manifold.....hard to replace???

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
havasu1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Exhaust manifold.....hard to replace???

Well my driver side exhaust manifold cracked. Are they hard to replace. Or should I say, will the bolts snap? I don't think the manifold would be hard to replace, I just don't want to mess with broken bolts (a jeep staple for sure). Shop wants$350.00 to replace one side, seems like a lot of doe for a $100.00 worth of parts.

On a side note, are there exhaust manifold that I should buy and do it myself (besides the RIPP ones, very pricey as nice as they are).

havasu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
DrHolliday

2011 JK Wrangler 

I would do it yourself, just soak the bolts in WD-40 or PB blaster over night. And have a ride available to take you to get spare bolts if one breaks. I'd think the manifold to exhaust pipe would have the best chance of snapping on you.

Don't use 12 pt sockets, only 6 pt so you don't risk rounding off the heads.

My build thread
DrHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

I changed the ZJ I had before. Bolts came off with no problem. Used wire brush to get large rust off the studs/nuts and sprayed PB Blaster on it for a week.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
JemLT1YJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

Some stuff ive found that works better then anything... Loctite freeze and release. You spray the bolt/nut for 5-10 seconds then let it sit for a little over a min and they come right off. Shock freezes the bolt/rust to crack it and let the penetrating oil into it. Very neat stuff. Using it on my bro in laws 97 f150, doin head gaskets. Been very useful never seen a vehicle so rusted and i work on a 90 xj, and 89 yj...

Edit: heres a link http://www.loctitefreezeandrelease.com/
JemLT1YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
havasu1
2008 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the input. I'll try that locktite product. Any headers you recommend? Are they all pretty much the same. Just go get some off Rockauto?
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
Alaska-HWY JK

Had mine replaced under warranty just before it ran out. One bolt broke and they couldn't get at it to drill and easy out so they had to pull the head. Top end gaskets were back ordered for a week. Long story short I'm glad I didn't do that one in the driveway. On a side note the Jeep runs a lot better now and on long road trips I'm getting the same mpg with 37's as I was when it was stock many years ago.
Alaska-HWY JK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

^^^ Another vote for the loctite freeze penetrating oil. That stuff is easily the best stuff ive ever used.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
havasu1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Is it worth going to the Gibson headers or just getting some stock ones
Unread 01-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I would be worried that the stock replacement would crack like the original.
Unread 01-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
utlax18
2007 JK Wrangler 

Out curiosity, how did you find out your exhaust manifold was cracked? I have heard that you can hear a tapping sound. My JK as 55K miles and am smelling a little exhaust in the cabin when I fire it up, but not when I am driving down the road. I don'thear a tapping sound, but still wondering if I have acrack somewhere if I am smelling a bit of exhaust.

Cheers!
utlax18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
spookylynx
2010 JK Wrangler 

If your pulling them off anyway, you might as well upgrade to a nice headder. I think I'm going to do mine in the spring, with RIPP Mods long tube headder. Bit pricey but a really sweet setup.
spookylynx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
havasu1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookylynx View Post
If your pulling them off anyway, you might as well upgrade to a nice headder. I think I'm going to do mine in the spring, with RIPP Mods long tube headder. Bit pricey but a really sweet setup.

yeah, they are pricey. That's whats keeping me away. I have other mods I want to do first such as upgrade my lift. I'll see how this one goes. Stock replacements are pretty cheap. $90 bucks or so.
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
havasu1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by utlax18 View Post
Out curiosity, how did you find out your exhaust manifold was cracked? I have heard that you can hear a tapping sound. My JK as 55K miles and am smelling a little exhaust in the cabin when I fire it up, but not when I am driving down the road. I don'thear a tapping sound, but still wondering if I have acrack somewhere if I am smelling a bit of exhaust.

Cheers!

I could actually see the crack just below the heat shield. What happens over time is you get a ticking sound, almost sounds like a lifter is clicking. Anyway, it happens when you start it up cold, it makes a ticking noise that in my case, would go away when at temp. But it is getting louder as I think the crack is getting worse.
Unread 01-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
spookylynx
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu1 View Post
yeah, they are pricey. That's whats keeping me away. I have other mods I want to do first such as upgrade my lift. I'll see how this one goes. Stock replacements are pretty cheap. $90 bucks or so.
I totally understand prioritizing mods, but I think Gibson or Rustys make a nice short tube hedder that is'nt too expensive, but if I had to choose between suspension and hedders, I'd choose suspension also.
spookylynx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

Check this out to aid in removing rusty bolts:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...t/13650/page1/

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.