EVO axle tube sleeve question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > EVO axle tube sleeve question.

KrawlOff-Road.com now Carries Iron Rock Off Road!!!!!Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-20-2015, 12:51 AM   #1
avatheredjeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

EVO axle tube sleeve question.

Il be installing mine this weekend. I have watched several videos of people installing these sleeves. some of them show guys sliding the sleeves in with their hands easily and some show them needing to be forced in with a special tool and a sledge...

What was your experience with the evo sleeves or any other brand?

If you used a tool to drive the tubes in without marring up the ends of them, what was it? I work in a weld shop so I can weld something up to help me out if need be. Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated!

avatheredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2015, 04:09 AM   #2
JLH
2013 JK Wrangler 

Don't do any kind of welding on the axle until you get the sleeves installed. I've seen where heat from welding in C gussets caused enough warping that it made it very hard to get the sleeves in. You also need to do a good job of cleaning the inside of the axle tubes. The smoother and cleaner the axle tubes, the easier it is to get the sleeves in. Seen guys use a paint roller on the end of a drill to polish up the tubes to where they look as shiny as a clean gun barrel. Put the sleeves in the freezer over night to get them to contract some. Test fit the sleeves and see if they will slide in. If not, put some lube on them and plan on pounding them in with a bearing race installation tool. Once installed, you can put a couple plug welds in the axle tube, or run a weld bead around the end of the sleeve to keep them in place - your choice.
Unread 02-20-2015, 06:55 AM   #3
JLH
2013 JK Wrangler 

Here is a link to HF bearing race kit. Not used this one, but was easy to find and the $$$ seems reasonable. Use a 2X4 with a dead blow hammer to pound the sleeve in until it is about 1" inch from being completely seated. Then switch to the bearing race install tool to drive it home.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...set-95853.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.