European license plate on the JK. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > European license plate on the JK.

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Jos360
2010 JK Wrangler 

European license plate on the JK.

I moved to Europe beginning of this year and decided to take my JK with me.

Since the US has the high and narrow plates and Europe uses wide and low plates, I needed to come up with an idea to fit a wide plate on the back (doesn't go in the stock plateholder) and besides, I want to keep my American plate on there too since that looks cool over here.

In Europe, they fit the plate under the spare wheel half on/half hanging under the rear-bumper. Which looks rediculous in my opinion.
I wanted to put it on the spare wheel, but removable without any tools. So here's what I did.

On the lathe I turned 2 bushings with the 75 degree angle of the wheel nuts so they would fall flush with the 2 remaining wheelstud holes in the spare wheel.
Then drilled a hole of 12mm in the bushings and turned 2 12mm pipes to slip-fit the hole in the bushings.
With the pipe inside the bushings I drilled a hole through all to fit a pin that holds both together (and is easily removable in case of a flat tire)

I drilled a hole in the sparewheel holder for a pressfit on 12mm. Pressed the pipes in until the bushings sat flush with the spare wheel, welded everything together and made a bracket on the 2 bushings that holds the plateholder and a little light for the license plate.
Wired the light from the right-taillight and all was done.

I thought, maybe someone likes this idea for a Euro-plate in the US or something so I thought I'd share.

Pics:

Unread 04-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
ThunderFoot

2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks clean but I'd take that USA plate off. It's not permitted, cool as it might look, because you can't have two registrations on one vehicle. It also announces you as an American thus making you more of a target.

You couldn't get a two-line 6x12 plate in your host country (Germany?)?
Freedom Top (Black) • Soft Top (Black) • 285/75R17 TOYO Open Country AT • Pro-Comp 3036 17x9 Alloy Wheels • TUFFY Security Drawer • Delta Quad-Bar Xenon Headlights • JK 6-Switch sPOD Source • SuperChips Flashpaq Tune
Diode Dynamics LED License Plate • Cobra 75 WX ST • 4' Wilson Antenna • AIRAID SynthaMax Cool Air Dam Intake System • Hella FF 500 Driving Lights • Hella Black Magic Driving Lights • Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Tailgate Cover
9" Billet Antenna • RR XHD Bumpers Fore & Aft with Storage Ends and Spare Tyre Carrier • XRC8 Winch • 2.5" Pro-Comp Suspension • Bilstein Shocks • RECON LED Smoked Turn Signals & Fender Lens

Colorado Jeep Club Member #1958
NRA Patron Life Member
ThunderFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Jos360
2010 JK Wrangler 

The square plates are the same width but a lot higher. And this German plate was just for show, I don't have the actual plate that goes on there yet (Belgian).

I don't know how legal it is to have 2 regs on there. I might make a few phonecalls about that one.
Unread 04-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
07BlackOps
2007 JK Wrangler 

First unless youre military why the **** would you move to europe. I spent some time in italy visiting family and I could never live their. too crowded and fuel prices way to damn high.
07BlackOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
jeepers29
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have lived in Slovakia for 2 years now, and can not wiat to get back to the US. 76 days and counting. This place is *** backwards! As another posted said, having an American plate does make you a target over here. Whether it is someone not so friendly, or the corrupt cops.
jeepers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
saceone

I can't believe the comments in this thread...

and if I were to move to EU , I'd sell my JK and buy a CRD JKU. kthxbaii.

nice install btw!!
saceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
Jos360
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm thinking of buying a rear-ended JKU and overhauling the CRD. Now it's a task to find a rear-ended JKU.
Unread 04-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
Jos360
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers29 View Post
I have lived in Slovakia for 2 years now, and can not wiat to get back to the US. 76 days and counting. This place is *** backwards! As another posted said, having an American plate does make you a target over here. Whether it is someone not so friendly, or the corrupt cops.
Slovakia is a different world. I drove around on my MI-plates here in Belgium for 2 months before getting the import sorted out and never been pulled over.
Unread 04-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm going to ignore all of the Bla, bla, bla, and just say that the plate holder looks great!
This set-up would be useful for anyone that needs to relocate their plate.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
dan-jeepy

saw a JK on base with European plates and he still had stock american plates holder on it looked funny to me.

he had in the same place as urs.
dan-jeepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Do the Euro export JK's have a delete plate or are the tubs made without the hole?
Just wondering!

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07BlackOps View Post
First unless youre military why the **** would you move to europe. I spent some time in italy visiting family and I could never live their. too crowded and fuel prices way to damn high.
Live THERE. You consistently say things that make me wonder. Like the different states in the US, not every country in Europe is the same. Basically what you just said was:

"Why would you ever live in the US. I visited North Dakota and it was cold and unpopulated. The entire US is horrible."

Europe is quite expensive, however their fuel is so expensive because the taxes on fuel pays for many thing such as health care. Since they have universal health care, that is one of the ways they generate revenue to pay for it.

That concludes to days lesson on "The Places Outside of the US" for the ignorant American.

Clever plate holder by the way.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #13
CGScotty
Straight And To The Point

2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice MOD. I lived in Grand Haven from 2008-2010. I miss that little town.
Unread 04-18-2011, 05:51 AM   #14
Jos360
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGScotty View Post
Nice MOD. I lived in Grand Haven from 2008-2010. I miss that little town.
I do to. Who knows if I will be there ever again I only lived there from 2009 to late 2010 though, maybe we've met.

The Euro JK has a little plastic cover over the hole for the license plate

Bumpers look ugly to me, especially with the foglights in there. I have the little foglight hanging under my bumper with zipties until the final inspection is complete, then it's going off again.
Unread 04-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #15
Jos360
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
I'm going to ignore all of the Bla, bla, bla, and just say that the plate holder looks great!
This set-up would be useful for anyone that needs to relocate their plate.
That's why I posted it And thanks! (to all who say it looks nice )

I am wondering too if I shouldnt make a little lock in there instead of the split-pin. Nice 18" rims are a pretty easy target for theft over here and I don't have locknuts. If I have a lock on the plateholder it's easier to take it off than with a splitpin (in case of flat tire) and more difficult for thieves to take it off.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.