ESP Lamp illuminates momentarily.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > ESP Lamp illuminates momentarily..

UCF Tax Refund Sale - Last One of the Year!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
LongArmXJ4L
2003 TJ Wrangler 

ESP Lamp illuminates momentarily..

My dad has a 2012 JK Rubicon with 3.6L engine. He has had 4 Wheel Parts outfit the vehicle with 5.38 gears in the differentials, they installed Procomp's Hypertech programmer, it has an aftermarket intake, and running 37" Procomp MTs and wheel spacers, Rancho steering stabilizer, Of course a Rubicon Express 4.5" long arm. There has been a few episodes lately where his Jeep likes to flash the ESP lamp (car with skid marks) for a few seconds and the Jeep feels as if all power has been lost and even sways just a little. From what I understand, the Procomp programmer was installed to correct the factory ECU for the change in gears and tires and to provide an accurate speed reading. 4 Wheel Parts 'professionally' installed this component and we have brought this concern to their attention and they have not been able to duplicate the concern. My guess is that the programmer may be causing a malfunction with the speed sensors because when this has happened we were cruising at roughly 75-80mph on straight flat road and there shouldn't be much of a wheel speed difference. I have found a few threads of people having similar problem on their JK but they were on a highway exit ramp which turns. I could understand that because of the speed difference of the inner and outer tires but don't understand our concern since it has happened on straight flat road. Could the programmer be the culprit? Thanks in advance!

LongArmXJ4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
ncb

I'd check and make sure the steering wheel is perfectly centered.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Fergi_1264
water lover

2012 JK Wrangler 

Yes my 2012 with fabtech 4" long arm with welded disconnects on new 35's. Before I bought my superchip programmer, my esc indicator would light up all the time. Once I went through the programmer and changed the tire size and **tire inflation level**... it stopped. In a jeep you shouldnt be doing 80 but hey... to each there own!!!!
Superchip has the best record for correct and continued applications!!! $159.99 and it fixed all problems!!! AND... it does have the most options of change on stock options!!!

NOW: 12 JK SAHARA GECKO GREEN FABTEC 4" NITTO GRAPPLER 35X12.5, Custom Hood Gecko, Custom covered Smitty doors, Custom bimini top, Custom made skid plate, 48" highlift jack on Tuffy secure box, and many more!!

Previously Owned: 95 YJ, 00 TJ
Fergi_1264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Fergi_1264
water lover

2012 JK Wrangler 

Allignment does matter alot!!!

NOW: 12 JK SAHARA GECKO GREEN FABTEC 4" NITTO GRAPPLER 35X12.5, Custom Hood Gecko, Custom covered Smitty doors, Custom bimini top, Custom made skid plate, 48" highlift jack on Tuffy secure box, and many more!!

Previously Owned: 95 YJ, 00 TJ
Fergi_1264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
HappyTrails
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
I'd check and make sure the steering wheel is perfectly centered.
Recently I adjusted the Tie Rod instead of the Drag Link while trying to center my steering wheel. D'oh! My ESP light was on the whole way home until I adjusted it properly with the ProCal. Not sure about Superchips or ProComp, but the AEV ProCal will flash the high beams once you have the steering wheel perfectly centered.

2nd opinion: Your JK has ESP and knows something you don't know?
Bunch of other junk.

"Y'all kin say whut y'all want 'bout the South, buy y'all never heard o' nobody retirin' an' movin' North."
HappyTrails is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
LongArmXJ4L
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I greatly appreciate the quick replies as the roads ice over it is not a great idea to drive the JK. It is currently at the local dealership possibly getting the head(s) replaced due to continuous cylinder 6 misfire. Once we get it back we will start digging into this concern. If anybody else has another other ideas, please feel free to continue this thread. AEV procal was one of my suggestions and may try that out. Thanks guys
Unread 12-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
ncb

You don't have to use the Procal for centering the steering wheel. The Procal works best if the Jeep is on an alignment rack and the wheels are pointed perfectly straight. You can use it with the Jeep sitting on the ground but it's not as precise. I just eyeball it and road test it until the wheel is sitting straight. It's not recommended to use two programmers together.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

The swaying is the ABS kicking in to correct the issue that is being detected. It's kind of fun going turning left in an icy intersection in 2-H and having the JK magically correct itself. The power loss thing can be annoying when in cruise control in a bumpy turn. But I'll take that over sensitivity as the workaround is hit the cruise resume right after.

Back on track, did you check the simple stuff like matching tire pressures? If one is quite a few PSI different than the others it will trigger ESP scenarios more often. This scenario could occur without you knowing if you turned the TPMS system down a lot or off entirely. Just a quick thing to check
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
LongArmXJ4L
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientspear View Post
The swaying is the ABS kicking in to correct the issue that is being detected. It's kind of fun going turning left in an icy intersection in 2-H and having the JK magically correct itself. The power loss thing can be annoying when in cruise control in a bumpy turn. But I'll take that over sensitivity as the workaround is hit the cruise resume right after.

Back on track, did you check the simple stuff like matching tire pressures? If one is quite a few PSI different than the others it will trigger ESP scenarios more often. This scenario could occur without you knowing if you turned the TPMS system down a lot or off entirely. Just a quick thing to check

Thanks for the advice. When we get the JK back from the Jeep dealership tomorrow once they replaced the head(s) I will definitely check the pressure again. This has been happening a little more than normal and I will be able to dig a little deeper once the JK is back in our hands. Thanks guys

Oh, and as far as using two programmers at once. Definitely not planning on using both, but I should be able to completely disable the Hypertech programmer if we were to decide with the Superchip system, right? Thanks for the heads up guys and I appreciate the respectful answers and advice. I have been a member for a few years on different accounts and never ask for advice due to these cyber jerks. Thanks again
Unread 12-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
Wubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientspear View Post
But I'll take that over sensitivity as the workaround is hit the cruise resume right after.
That doesn't work on mine. ESP activation turn off the CC main, so I have to turn it back on and reset it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Wubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubicon View Post
That doesn't work on mine. ESP activation turn off the CC main, so I have to turn it back on and reset it.
Interesting. Next time I take a turn over railway tracks or a potholed on/off ramp I'll pay closer attention to see if I am like you.
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
TXWK131
2009 JK Wrangler 

just replaced my TRACK BAR, DRAG LINK, AND TIE ROD DROVE IT TO TEST IT STEERING WHEEL WAY OFF CENTER THEN THE ESP LIGHT CAME ON WHEN AND GOT THE ALIGNMENT TAKEN CARE OFF ESP LIGHT WENT OFF AND EVERYTHING IS BACK TO NORMAL NOW THAT MY STEERING WHEEL IS STRAIGHT ON... HOPE THIS HELPS
DIY DECK LID
[/CENTER]

2006 Navy WK HEMI ~RK 3.5 lift - 17" Moabs - Toyo 265.70.17 AT - Bedliner Paint Job - [COLOR="Red"][B]SOLD[/B][/COLOR]

'85 XJ... Still tryin to figure out what the heck I have in this piece of Junk! But you gotta start somewhere
TXWK131 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.