ESP disable - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > ESP disable

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 02-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

ESP disable

Got this off the Jeep site:

Quote:
Disabling Electronic Stability Program (ESP) for Modified Vehicles (4WD Models Only)
Vehicles modified with larger tires and/or suspension lifts may experience early ESP activations as compared
to a non-modified production vehicle depending on lift size, tire size, suspension changes and/or driving habits.
If early ESP activations are experienced while driving a modified vehicle, the additional ability to permanently
turn off ESP is available. A steering wheel/ESP button maneuver must be performed to permanently disable
ESP and defeat the functionality of the ESP switch. Repeating the procedure will return the system to normal
ESP operation and restore ESP switch functionality allowing ESP “Partial” or “Off” modes.
WARNING!
With ESP in the permanent disable mode, enhanced vehicle stability offered by the ESP and Electronic
Roll Mitigation (ERM) systems is unavailable. In an emergency evasive maneuver, the ESP and ERM
systems will not engage to assist in maintaining stability. This disabled mode is intended for off-highway
or off-road use only. Vehicle modifications requiring the owner to configure the vehicle in the ESP
disabled mode will seriously affect the vehicle’s roadworthiness and safety and may lead to loss of
control and/or accident resulting in possible serious or fatal injuries.
The following procedure will disable (or re-enable) ESP functionality in the vehicle:
1. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position.
2. Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the wheels are pointed straight ahead.
3. Cycle the ignition key OFF to ON.
4. Wait approximately five seconds for the system bulb check.
5. Turn and hold the steering wheel one-half turn to the right (clockwise).
6. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.
7. Turn the steering wheel back to center, and turn and hold an additional one-half turn to the left
(counter clockwise).
8. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.
9. Turn the steering wheel back to center.
10. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.
11. Cycle the ignition key to OFF.
After performing the ESP disable procedure correctly, “ESP OFF” will be displayed in the odometer for
approximately 12 seconds each time the ignition is moved to ON. Repeating the ESP disable procedure will
re-enable normal ESP operation.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Why do they make it so complicated?

Maybe to put it in permanent partial mode, you have to be doing 120 MPH down the road.. then you have to stand on the softtop with your left leg up..

Come on Chrysler, this is just a stupid way to have to disable stuff. This is 2010 not 1940.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
2jk1cjtj
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just took my to my dealer and they turned it off for me it was easier
2jk1cjtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
muttytruckster
2007 JK Wrangler 

Curious as to how popular turning off the esp is?
I understand turning if off for Off-road use, but I just figured people let it alone while on the road.
When this thing hits 200,000miles and it has a d60 in the rear with 5:13 and 37s, I will then turn it off, because at that point it won't be a daily driver.
muttytruckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Keep in mind there was an issue initially with the changes in suspension geometry caused the ESP to kick in when it shouldn't have. 99 times out of 100, realigning the steering system fixed that problem, but on some kits I heard it wasn't always something that could be fixed.

I think this is last-resort advice for people who couldn't fix it and didn't want to change out their aftermarket kit. And it's good info for the folks who don't like technology making the decisions for them, so they can fully disable it. But for most, the normal way of turning in on/off when needed while four-wheeling is sufficient IMO.

If you didn't know - these instructions are to PERMANENTLY turn it off. In 4Hi and 2WD, when you push the button once, traction control (TCS) goes off, but the stability control (ESP) stays on. Good for snow in that you can force wheel-spin to get traction, but it will still come on with under or oversteer. When in 4Hi, hold the button for 5 seconds to turn it completely off, or shift into 4Lo and it will automatically turn off TCS and ESP fully. If you go over 40 MPH, it switches back to TCS-only off.
Unread 02-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Or just put in a switch to the wire, allowing one to fully turn it off/on when wanted...
Unread 02-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

It has saved my butt twice on black ice, you can't save yourself as fast as it can. Mine is a dd, not a modded wheeler.
Unread 02-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

...remember ALL the probs back in late 80'suzuki had w/ Samuri utility vehicle? The ESC/TSP "gyro" ststem is there (to stay) to satisfy govenment concerns/regulations w/ the Jeeps rollover capacity. Per the manual, it should be disabled only when significant modifications cuz it to send "false" signals that are detrimental to the vehcile operation. I think it's a pretty darn good system, we're lucky it can easily be disabled AT ALL too! (for when conditions warrant")...

Safety first, so am I the only JK w/ side air bags too? (Ordered 'em when dressing my '10JK order back in late November), soon, they too will be standard. Folks didn't like the airbag back in late 80's/early 90's either, look at all the lives they have saved...
Unread 02-27-2010, 03:18 AM   #9
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

I hated the ESP at first... but once I learned when it kicks in, and how it works, I've grown accustom to it. I'm still going to put an ESP kill switch in it, but that will only be used for off road, or when messing around.
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
IPB
2007 JK Wrangler 

I was thinking about getting my 07 flashed so that I could turn it off, but I didn't want to lose the safety feature. So I jus got my procal in the mail, ad once my new tires get here on Monday I'll be good to go...i hope!
02 Sportsman 400 4x4 (the wifes)
IPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #11
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Does anyone who's tried the permanent disable know if it makes the road-feel through the steering wheel feel less mushy, rubbery, Buick like? I like the feed-back I get on my TJ (but not the scary hi-speed hi-way handling).
Unread 02-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #12
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

the only time i turn mine off is when i'm about to go thru some corners, a twisty on ramp or want to romp around (donuts, etc) in the dirt in 2wd. i recommend wiring up a bypass switch. its pretty easy

i never really have problems with it in day to day driving and im pretty lifted on 35s.
Unread 02-28-2010, 05:19 AM   #13
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

I just turn mine off for sloppy trails; had it off all day yesterday.
It's a momentum killer and will have you pulling winch lines in mud every now and then.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #14
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I believe it is so complicated to disable the ESP so in court, their lawyers can say for sure you turned it off deliberately. There is no way the driver can claim he performed the routine inadvertently.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 06:37 AM   #15
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
I believe it is so complicated to disable the ESP so in court, their lawyers can say for sure you turned it off deliberately. There is no way the driver can claim he performed the routine inadvertently.
I agree, sounds like a ladder logic program, you have to intentionally close certain "latches" on the program in order.
I'd like to see the program and follow the latch tree.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.