ESP BAS - Warning Light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > ESP BAS - Warning Light

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 09-24-2007, 08:05 AM   #1
Grant211
2007 JK Wrangler 

ESP BAS - Warning Light

I was pulling into the parking lot and the ESP BAS warning light came on. What causes that warning light to come on? According to the service manual i need to take it to the dealership. Obviously, I will. I am just curious why it came on.

The funny thing is... as i pulled into the parking lot it came on. I pulled into a parking spot and turned off the jeep. Went into the store, came out, started up the jeep and the light did not come on.

This has happened like three times in the past month. I don't drive like a maniac nor have I done any real hardcore off roading.

any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

Unread 09-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
rac-jeep

Yeah. Fairly common issue. Several threads on the topic. There is apparently a "flash" that can help. Bottom line is the system seems to be too sensitive.

Here is a thread on the topic:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/esp-issue-poll-who-has-who-has-not-455016/
rac-jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
sightor
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am having this issue at 2400 miles. Lite stays on all the time. Took to dealer. They flashed computer and lite went out. Drove it, lite came back on. Flashed computer but lite stayed on. Dealer has ordered new computer -- I am waiting!
sightor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #4
Grant211
2007 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the replys...

I've never had so many issues with any other vehicle I have purchased. I am starting to regret getting this jeep
Unread 09-24-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
RenoosRemoob

We experienced that issue once back in June. I was driving back to work after lunch when the engine bogged way down and I noticed that the ESP/BAS warning lights came on. I looked it up in the manual and it said to take it in to the dealership so I did.

They said they could not duplicate the ESP/BAS situation and said the computer did not disclose anything nor could they duplicate the leak or find any history of the flash issue on the computer. We picked it up that evening at no charge and it has not happened since.
RenoosRemoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

FWIW, I have not had one single issue with mine. I even started specifically looking for anything mentioned on this forum and I can't find anything wrong. The only thing is the dashboard scratches too easily, but other than that, no esp, no paint issues, no misalligned doors, no leaking hard tops, no leaking softop, no wind whistles near the windshield, no dome light rattling, no flashing lights and gauges going crazy, no issues with the brakes, never been stranded, horn has always worked properly, the shifter on the automatic transmission has never gotten stuck. A rock hasn't even hit the windshield.
Unread 09-24-2007, 07:35 PM   #7
RickRJeep

I guess it's just blind luck, then. That or karma.... Who knows.
Unread 09-24-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

its just so stupid that jeep wont do anything about it or even accept it to be a faulty computer chip, they rather blame the lift kit even though stock jeeps are doing it as well.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2007, 07:05 PM   #9
sightor
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightor
I am having this issue at 2400 miles. Lite stays on all the time. Took to dealer. They flashed computer and lite went out. Drove it, lite came back on. Flashed computer but lite stayed on. Dealer has ordered new computer -- I am waiting!
UPDATE: Took JK in today for new parts installation. They worked on it for 4 hours downloading the new computer module. Problem still remains, so now they are ordering parts for inside steering wheel. I suspect they really don't know what's wrong -- just replace a part and see if that does it. Starting to get a little frustrated. Has anyone had this problem and had it successfully corrected??
sightor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2007, 12:12 AM   #10
viking81

I had same problem with mine. I was told that lift kit or tire size does not plays any role with this issue. It is a factory issue. They replaced the sensors and now it stoped. i still have ongoing problem with steering.
viking81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2007, 06:31 AM   #11
wriver82
2009 JK Wrangler 

Had the same problem over the last weekend, brought it in and now it seems to be okay, one note on the reflash procedure, jeeps with the auto sway bar disconnects has a different procedure than the ones without, maybe you should check to see if they did it that way or not.
wriver82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #12
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriver82
Had the same problem over the last weekend, brought it in and now it seems to be okay, one note on the reflash procedure, jeeps with the auto sway bar disconnects has a different procedure than the ones without, maybe you should check to see if they did it that way or not.
Hi
Think you are getting confused with the recalls and TSB. The G25 (stalling flash) has a different procedure for JK’s with the disconnecting arms. The F50 recall for the ABS and the TSB 08-007-07 for the ESP light doesn’t.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
cigarsnjeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

2007 Wrangler

I have 145,000 miles on my 2007 and never had a problem. Driving in high temperatures - above 95 seems to trip the sensors on mine. I just pull over to the side of the road and restart and it seems to clear it out. I was wondering if has anything to do with the brake pads I had put in about 15,000 miles ago but apparently that may not be the case. I do not know how good of brake pads I had put in but was not sure if the heat and quality of pad had something to do with it.
cigarsnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

My guess is that you have a cable/connection problem at one of the wheels when the brakes were installed. Might see if there is a code.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
cigarsnjeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

I went to a Pep Boys and one of the guys there works exclusively on Jeeps. I asked him about this problem and he suggested that I remove the air cleaner and spray some carburetor / throttle body cleaner in the intake while it is running and then use a rag to clean out the carbon after turning it off. I did this and so far I have not had a problem. He said that the carbon build up can cause it to think the throttle is stuck which can cause it to shut down. It has been about 3,000 miles and no issues but we will see. I hope this helps someone.
cigarsnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.