ESP BAS light won't reset - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > ESP BAS light won't reset

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
boatycall
2008 JK Wrangler 

ESP BAS light won't reset

How do I reset it? I DID do a search before posting this. I tried the two main things that seemed to pop up on the search for fixes - disconnect the battery, and spin the wheel lock to lock several times, no luck.

I was up wheelin one day, air'd down to 10lbs. When I got back to the pavement, I noticed the steering was off by about 1/8th turn on the steering wheel. Within 60 seconds of hitting pavement, the ESP BAS light came on.

When we got to the place we air back up, I put 30lbs in each tire, and after the tire pressure monitor finally realized I wasn't air'd down any more, the ESP BAS light didn't go out. Got home, re-aligned the steering(which was off exactly one turn on the turnbuckle), and the light still hasn't come off.

It's been this way for a month. Nothing is loose, none of the ABS sensors disconnected, and it drives perfectly fine and straight as an arrow.

*standing on soap box*
This, by the way, is on the heels of the "don't touch the clutch in a mudbog" bellhousing design glitch that I didn't know about which cost me $600. I'm REALLY loosing my faith in the new Jeeps. I've had 2 YJ's. I'm seriously considering taking it in the shorts and going back to a YJ or TJ. Their computers and clutches don't fail after a day of wheelin in the Western Washington mud.

boatycall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

speaking of computers, did you check for error codes?
Unread 05-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
boatycall
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yup. The ESP/BAS system is a separate system from the engine computer/check engine light system. No codes were in the computer, nothing to clear.
Unread 05-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

What did you use to validate a centered steering wheel. The sensor is amazing. I have a Procal, and I need to use it to get the center correctly. I can eyeball it, and I still get the ESP/BAS light.

Bob K.
'13 Black 10A Rubicon JKU
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

The steering wheel is still off. You can't get it straight enough eyeballing it to kick off the ESP. You can get the Procal or keep trying a half turn at a time until it goes out.

As for the clutch thing, you never, ever clutch when the tranny can suck up mud. That's not a JK thing. Clutch pads will soak up water and grime and get ruined in a heartbeat.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
boatycall
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
As for the clutch thing, you never, ever clutch when the tranny can suck up mud. That's not a JK thing. Clutch pads will soak up water and grime and get ruined in a heartbeat.
Respectfully, I have to disagree in part. Not to hijack my own thread of course, but...
5 speed YJ and TJ's have a sealed bell housing. Mud can not get in (minus of course the breather). The stupidest thing Jeep ever did was to put 4 huge vent slits in the bell housing of the new 6 speeds in the late model TJs and JKs.

Mud can't ruin a clutch if it can't in the bell housing. No one in my club has toasted a clutch due to mud bog wheelin. I follow my buddies in my new JK through the same mud puddle I've gone through for years, and boom, $600.
Unread 05-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
boatycall
2008 JK Wrangler 

On my ESP BAS light - it's been on for a month, and last night after I started this thread, it cleared itself on the way to Home Depot....
Go figgur....
Unread 05-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatycall View Post
Respectfully, I have to disagree in part. Not to hijack my own thread of course, but...
5 speed YJ and TJ's have a sealed bell housing. Mud can not get in (minus of course the breather). The stupidest thing Jeep ever did was to put 4 huge vent slits in the bell housing of the new 6 speeds in the late model TJs and JKs.

Mud can't ruin a clutch if it can't in the bell housing. No one in my club has toasted a clutch due to mud bog wheelin. I follow my buddies in my new JK through the same mud puddle I've gone through for years, and boom, $600.
You are incorrect sir

My 04 TJ with a NV3550 had a opening at the bottom of the bell housing, mud and water most certainly could enter that opening
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
alexkemple

2010 JK Wrangler 

That happened to mine... it is a code, but on some scanners it won't pop up, it wouldn't come up on my Flashpaq or Fuzzycoder. I have a friend in the stealer, so we checked the codes there... mine was the clockspring had gotten messed up after I lifted my Jeep, might want to check

Alex Kemple
alexkemple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkemple View Post
That happened to mine... it is a code, but on some scanners it won't pop up, it wouldn't come up on my Flashpaq or Fuzzycoder. I have a friend in the stealer, so we checked the codes there... mine was the clockspring had gotten messed up after I lifted my Jeep, might want to check

Alex Kemple
How could your clock spring get mess up after lifting, its in the steering wheel....
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
alexkemple

2010 JK Wrangler 

I personally have no clue, but my friend said it was common on lifted jeeps
Unread 05-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
jprcpr

did you put a bl in ??
jprcpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #13
alexkemple

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprcpr View Post
did you put a bl in ??
no... TeraFlex 4" short arm lift kit with full FlexArms
Much more pricey than a BL

Alex
Unread 05-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #14
JEEP_GREEN_4DR
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatycall View Post
On my ESP BAS light - it's been on for a month, and last night after I started this thread, it cleared itself on the way to Home Depot....
Go figgur....
Sounds like this resolved itself, but after a particularly muddy trail ride, I had the exact same thing happen to me. Turned out the sensors at each wheel were all caked in mud, which sent the computer bat shiat crazy.

Hosed em off really well and I was good to go with no dashlights going nuts.
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
brycehpratt
2008 JK Wrangler 

Am having the same issue spent a muddy day yesterday and had to realign the steering. The ESP and BAS lights are still on. Hopefully a good hose off will do the trick.
brycehpratt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.