ESC lights on already??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > ESC lights on already???

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 09-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
caseyrocksit
2013 JK Wrangler 

ESC lights on already???

Just bought my JKU Moab in July new it's a 2013 wth 5500 miles I put on it already! Was rounding a corner on the way to church and the ESC light came on! Immediately I'm like .... Whaaaats the deal?? And skip a bit of fellowshipping to read my user guide( horrible I know) and see if I can figure it out! Followed the rules it said to do... And eventually it turned off. But now when I turn on my jeep " both " the indicator lights come on... Then turn off! It bothers me why would they come on? Want to see if I can get some reasonable responses before I pay to take it in! Appreciate what you all have to say

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

caseyrocksit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
aznjeep

2014 WK 

I can only speak from experience.. Wranglers are not as sure-footed as passenger vehicles. If you take a corner at a moderate speed, it generally will be fine. But if you hit a larger-than-normal crack in the road, uneven pavement, or something a little larger than a pebble during that turn, that movement/vibration can trigger ESP to engage (first couple of times it caught me off guard, but you get used to it). Add a lift and larger tires, it makes it easier for ESP to engage. If it were up to me, I'd say your Jeep is functioning as "programmed". If ESP was engaging while you were just cruising in a straight line, then I'd say something is wrong.
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
DAYJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

I will lean towards a bad wheel speed sensor... they are known to be crappy on our jeeps time to time. Or also a clock spring... but I would try a sensor first... know any one with a obd2 reader?

Utah Jeep Crew Member #47
Cheyenne Trail Junkie

ROADS!? Where we're going, we don't need roads... (Doc)
DAYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure the indicator lights come on and then go right off when you start the jeep. Its a normal thing. I think it is just the computer testing everything.

Going around curves too fast can do it, I have never had it happen but the wife has mentioned it happening on occasion.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
caseyrocksit
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznjeep
I can only speak from experience.. Wranglers are not as sure-footed as passenger vehicles. If you take a corner at a moderate speed, it generally will be fine. But if you hit a larger-than-normal crack in the road, uneven pavement, or something a little larger than a pebble during that turn, that movement/vibration can trigger ESP to engage (first couple of times it caught me off guard, but you get used to it). Add a lift and larger tires, it makes it easier for ESP to engage. If it were up to me, I'd say your Jeep is functioning as "programmed". If ESP was engaging while you were just cruising in a straight line, then I'd say something is wrong.
I appreciate the reply ... My thoughts were along the lines of yours , so having commutative supports provides sensibility and security , thank you

Unread 09-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider
I'm pretty sure the indicator lights come on and then go right off when you start the jeep. Its a normal thing. I think it is just the computer testing everything. Going around curves too fast can do it, I have never had it happen but the wife has mentioned it happening on occasion.
This. All the indicator lights always illuminate for a few seconds when starting the Jeep. I think most all JKs will get an esc light if you take corners like you're in a Porsche.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
OH9JK
2009 JK Wrangler 

You said you followed instructions in the user manual...I applaud you for reading, most don't!

Did you disable the ESC system?
OH9JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
caseyrocksit
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH9JK
You said you followed instructions in the user manual...I applaud you for reading, most don't! Did you disable the ESC system?
The light eventually turned off later in the day, but now does come on for about 3 seconds when turning my jeep on, then turns off. Lol if it didn't turn off by the end of the day I was going to take the cables off my battery , wait a bit and put em back on to see if that made a difference. Now I'm just going to invest in an obd2 reader!

Unread 09-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
caseyrocksit
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb
This. All the indicator lights always illuminate for a few seconds when starting the Jeep. I think most all JKs will get an esc light if you take corners like you're in a Porsche.
I'm out in 29 palms Cali ... Lots of sand .... Desert roads n such . I imagine I tend to take all turns on a quick spin... Just after 5500 miles on a mild turn... It was the first time the darn light came on!

Unread 09-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
caseyrocksit
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider
I'm pretty sure the indicator lights come on and then go right off when you start the jeep. Its a normal thing. I think it is just the computer testing everything. Going around curves too fast can do it, I have never had it happen but the wife has mentioned it happening on occasion.
I guess I'm just surprised at a vehicle made to go out and do some 4 wheeling can be so darn sensitive about a taking a turn a lil sooner then maybe it was ready for lol.

Unread 09-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
caseyrocksit
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYJ
I will lean towards a bad wheel speed sensor... they are known to be crappy on our jeeps time to time. Or also a clock spring... but I would try a sensor first... know any one with a obd2 reader?
Don't know why I didn't think about a bad wheel sensor ?? But definitely will be investing in an obd2 sensor reader thanks

Unread 09-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
OH9JK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Is your steering wheel slightly off center?
OH9JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
ncb

All of the lights will illuminate when you start the Jeep. That is normal. My 2009 has done the same thing a couple times. No need to panic. A bad wheel speed sensor will give a solid light.
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyrocksit
I guess I'm just surprised at a vehicle made to go out and do some 4 wheeling can be so darn sensitive about a taking a turn a lil sooner then maybe it was ready for lol. Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
You can thank all the nanny systems for that. That's what happens when things are idiot proofed.
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyrocksit View Post
I'm out in 29 palms Cali ... Lots of sand .... Desert roads n such . I imagine I tend to take all turns on a quick spin... Just after 5500 miles on a mild turn... It was the first time the darn light came on!
That's the 29 Stumps for ya!

When a tire breaks free on an ESC system, the light will often come on.

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.