ESC kicks in after 4" lift - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > ESC kicks in after 4" lift

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
starscream
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
Magnusson-Moss requires that the warrant or prove that a modification caused the malfunction, they can't just say it did.

It also expressly forbids requirements for branded-only parts.

If a dealership refuses you warranty service on the basis of a mod and you accept it, that's your fault. You have legal protection against that kind of thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act
Magnusson-Moss doesn't make it cheap to fight a dealership and lawyers in court either. I know what you're saying, but you have to also realize there are dealerships out there that have and will deny claims and then you are only left to fight them with lawyers which cost time and money. All I said is since he was paying to have the dealership do the work anyway, any protections he was promised should be in writing. There's nothing wrong with that.

starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #17
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Shouldve traded in for a 2012 lol.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #18
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsteves View Post
So my ESC kicks in around corners like exit ramps after my 4" lift was installed. It happened with stock tires and it happens with the 35" nittos i just got installed.
So i called the dealership and they said it is normal with any newer jeep with a 3-4" lift. Is this a fact or are BSin me?
Bad info from the dealer. Indicates eitehr teh wheel isn't centered, and /or the axles aren't centered side to side under the frame. Center the axles first, starting with the rear. Measure from mirror image spots on the frame to the tire sidewalls. Don't measure tire letters, etc. Make sure wheels are turned dead ahead and tire pressures are identical. Adjust the track bar until the readings are within 1/8" side to side. Do the rear first, adjust as needed, then do the front. Then check and center the steering wheel as needed. (Adjust to center using the drag link.) Should do the trick.
SoK66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #19
mdsteves

Do i need to put the rear on jacks to re-center the rear?
I have to order the rear adj trackbar and want to put it on when it comes. The damn axle is about 1"+ to the left.
mdsteves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #20
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsteves
I have to order the rear adj trackbar and want to put it on when it comes. The damn axle is about 1"+ to the left.
Did they instal a rear trackbar relocation bracket? If not, that may be all you need.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #21
mdsteves

Yea they did... Off by 1/2". my measurements were off.
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #22
starscream
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
No you center it on the ground, otherwise it would be off to the left again under load. It'll make a small difference too if you switch between a hard top or soft top because of the added weight. There should be a write up somewhere that explains what to do. Basically with it disconnected you bounce up and down on the rear bumper a few times to center it. Sounds hokey but it works.

Edit: I see you do have a bracket
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #23
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
That's your problem, even if as you say in a later thread that it's off by 1/2", not 1". Even 1/2" is too much.

Not sure what lift you have, but if it came with an axle side raised track bar mount bracket with multiple holes, use the hole in the bracket that gets the axle closest to centered. An adjustable track bar is best, but you can usually get a stock bar to center fairly close.

Get the rear centered, then do the front.
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #24
mdsteves

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Not sure what lift you have, but if it came with an axle side raised track bar mount bracket with multiple holes, use the hole in the bracket that gets the axle closest to centered. An adjustable track bar is best, but you can usually get a stock bar to center fairly close.

Get the rear centered, then do the front.
The dealership went with a Rough Country lift. The bracket is installed but does not have multiple holes. I ordered an adj rear trackbar and will be here this week.
Looks like I will have to lift the rear off the ground to get springs off to get the bolt out of the trackbar bracket...fun times.
The front is centered when I measured it.
Do I need to loosen the control arm's nuts to re-center?
Unread 01-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #25
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsteves
So my ESC kicks in around corners like exit ramps after my 4" lift was installed. It happened with stock tires and it happens with the 35" nittos i just got installed.
So i called the dealership and they said it is normal with any newer jeep with a 3-4" lift. Is this a fact or are BSin me?
Steering wheel isn't perfectly centered, its just close enough that it doesn't cause a problem often.

Buy a Procal and set the wheel yourself on the street. That will get it the most perfect. Get on a deserted street and loosen the drag link clamp bolts. Drive a few hundred feet slowly and let the wheel go where it wants to as you come to a stop. Adjust the wheel according to the Procal instructions. No more issues
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #26
mdsteves

Have one of those coming with my trackbar
Unread 01-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #27
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

You can have the wheel perfectly centered, but if the axles aren't centered to teh frame the ESP will over ride in certain situations. Gotta do the axles first, steering wheel second.
Unread 01-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #28
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66
You can have the wheel perfectly centered, but if the axles aren't centered to teh frame the ESP will over ride in certain situations. Gotta do the axles first, steering wheel second.
That's right
Unread 01-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #29
mdsteves

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction. hopefully get this fixed soon.

Do I need to loosen the control arm's nuts to re-center?
Unread 01-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #30
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

No. Just center the axles. Be sure the rig is settled on it's tires before you adjust anything.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.