ESC kicks in after 4" lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > ESC kicks in after 4" lift

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 01-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
mdsteves

ESC kicks in after 4" lift

So my ESC kicks in around corners like exit ramps after my 4" lift was installed. It happened with stock tires and it happens with the 35" nittos i just got installed.
So i called the dealership and they said it is normal with any newer jeep with a 3-4" lift. Is this a fact or are BSin me?

mdsteves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
BigMikeOfTO
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm on a 4" lift with 35s....NEVER had that issue

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs
BigMikeOfTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

BS.

Either your steering wheel isn't exactly centered, or the axles have shifted slightly out of line due to the lift. The ESC thinks you are in a skid and kicks in.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Did you take care of the driveline after that lift? 4" can cause you driveshaft troubles...
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsteves View Post
So my ESC kicks in around corners like exit ramps after my 4" lift was installed. It happened with stock tires and it happens with the 35" nittos i just got installed.
So i called the dealership and they said it is normal with any newer jeep with a 3-4" lift. Is this a fact or are BSin me?
Did you/they center the wheel. Reset it to the new tire's as well.

4" inch is alot a lift. hope its done well. The esc should not turn, normaly.
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
mdsteves

Dealership told me to see if i can turn it off.

And i will be ordering a TW driveshaft for the front this weekend and the rear in 2 weeks.
Unread 01-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
Did you take care of the driveline after that lift? 4" can cause you driveshaft troubles...
No it will cause, not may. Its going to go out. A 4 inch lift is measured rear. so the front is at least 5+. Even 4 inch rears"s run long too new. This thing must have all the adjustible things too, when you install the rear D/l, it will need to tip the rear pinion up to aline with the cardan drive shaft. I would also set the rear back about 1+" or as much as you can.
Unread 01-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
mdsteves

I think i understand what you are saying.

I had the dealership install it so i could keep my limited lifetime power train warranty.
Unread 01-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Your ESC is kicking in because your steering wheel was not centered after lift. DS will need to be eventually changed but is NOT related to your ESC issue.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
buns79
2013 JK Wrangler 

As mentioned above you need to center your steering wheel, it's easy to do and you can also shut off the esc just do a search on here its kinda pain in the a** but it can be done!
2013 jku. Manual trans, 2.5in teraflex lift with 1in spacers,35in duratracs, soft top, ace rear bumper, poison Spyder front bumper, smittybuilt winch, 4:88s with eaton elockers front and rear. Spod, rigid LEDs, rugged ridge snorkel and the list goes on and on... 0lllllll0
buns79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
starscream
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsteves View Post
I had the dealership install it so i could keep my limited lifetime power train warranty.
I hope you got that in writing.
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Lift doesn't have anything to do with powertrain. The only components affected by a lift are the driveshafts, and the limited lifetime warranty is for internally lubricated parts only.

As far as warranty goes, anyway. If the dealership told you it did, thy lied to you to make a sale.
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
starscream
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
Lift doesn't have anything to do with powertrain. The only components affected by a lift are the driveshafts
Which are connected to the transfer case, which is connected to the transmission, which is connected to the engine... now throw the 35" tires he got on top of that. Lots of outs for an unscrupulous dealership to attempt to deny a warranty claim.
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
mdsteves

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream View Post

Which are connected to the transfer case, which is connected to the transmission, which is connected to the engine... now throw the 35" tires he got on top of that. Lots of outs for an unscrupulous dealership to attempt to deny a warranty claim.
That is why i want to keep it. I looked at mopar lift site and they a 4" lift is for 33-35" tires so they cant get me there. Although i already bought a truss,gussets, and sleeves in prep for 37s
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Magnusson-Moss requires that the warrant or prove that a modification caused the malfunction, they can't just say it did.

It also expressly forbids requirements for branded-only parts.

If a dealership refuses you warranty service on the basis of a mod and you accept it, that's your fault. You have legal protection against that kind of thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.