Which Entry Guards & Rear Grab Handles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Which Entry Guards & Rear Grab Handles

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 11-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
JYogi
2008 JK Wrangler 

Which Entry Guards & Rear Grab Handles

OK
Placing an order.
Which Entry guards are the best bet?

I see the Mopar rubber ones and I also see some made by Rugged Ridge.

Any other suggestions?

I want something where I wont drill into the Jeep or anything

Also, I am getting 3 in Mastercraft front handles but what about rear grab handles? Rugged Ridge?

Unread 11-01-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

I ended up with 3" handles for all 4 doors. The rear door handles are in the upper back corner of the door, so they probably aren't quite as ideal as if they were about 6-8 inches more forward, but they seem to work just fine for folks climbing up in there.
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
luigi0523
2008 JK Wrangler 

The MOPAR entry guards! Better quality!
luigi0523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2007, 12:01 AM   #4
tkob1060
2008 JK Wrangler 

just got the black mopar entry guards they are great and stick right on, also got the rear Rugged Ridge handles and they are perfect and just mount to the factory holes in the plastic around the rollbar, unbolt and slip the bolt thru the gromet hole and put them back in, takes like 10min to install both entry guards and handles

tkob1060 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
tigers34

I went with the Mopar entry guards. Still looking at grab handles. I like the Rugged Ridge handles for the back since they mount to the factory holes. I wish there was a better alternative for the front to avoid velcro.
Unread 11-05-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
weiva
2007 JK Wrangler 

Second the Rugged Ridge grab handles. I previously had EKSport handles in back which I moved to the front. Rear passengers instantly commented they prefer the heft and location of the Rugged Ridge ones. Price was the same as everyone else's. Note, the instructions say you can skip the 'extra' washers. Using them didn't affect installation one bit.
weiva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
DILYSI Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers34
I went with the Mopar entry guards. Still looking at grab handles. I like the Rugged Ridge handles for the back since they mount to the factory holes. I wish there was a better alternative for the front to avoid velcro.
The same handles that are attached with screws in the back can also be mounted on the A-pillar up front to avoid any of the velcro attaching ones, if that's your thing.
DILYSI Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
tigers34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILYSI Dave
The same handles that are attached with screws in the back can also be mounted on the A-pillar up front to avoid any of the velcro attaching ones, if that's your thing.
Are you talking about going from the A-pillar to the sun visor? I saw this in a thread, but could not figure out how it attaches to the sun visor.

I'm not very mechanically inclined.
Unread 11-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #9
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Mopar entry guards are fine but they DO NOT protect the top lip of the door sill. They attach by double sticky tape so installation is easy and no holes to drill.
For handles I bought "Smittybuilt" from eBay for 14.95. They seem to be just like the other 6 or 7 brands out there and the price was right. They mount with Velcro arond the padding on the roll bar. For the rear I bought another branded set that bolted right in to the existing holes in the roll bar cover. Funny though is that the handles are exactly like the front smittybilt ones, even thought they are different brands. I paid under 10.00 buck for them. There must be only one or two real manufactures in China making these little gems.
Speaking of entry stuff. I just completed installing the rear tailgate gas strut last week. A near factory looking install but still going to add strap near the bottom of the tailgate to stop the door from opening beyond 90 degrees to the body. The shaft of the strut comes in to contact with the weather strip of the tail gate when allowed to open all the way and I don't want that to happen. The stop strap will make this a real clean install. I'll post some pics when it gets done. For those who'd like to do the same, here are the part numbers from McMaster Carr.
9416K182 Gas spring with threaded ends
9416K86 Nylon 10mm Ball Sockets
9512K12 Ball mounting 304 sst bracket, you'll need 2.
I also bought a door strap for an 06 wrangler and the strap pin and strap back to put stop strap on the tail gate.
Unread 11-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #10
tigers34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang
Mopar entry guards are fine but they DO NOT protect the top lip of the door sill. They attach by double sticky tape so installation is easy and no holes to drill.
For handles I bought "Smittybuilt" from eBay for 14.95. They seem to be just like the other 6 or 7 brands out there and the price was right. They mount with Velcro arond the padding on the roll bar. For the rear I bought another branded set that bolted right in to the existing holes in the roll bar cover. Funny though is that the handles are exactly like the front smittybilt ones, even thought they are different brands. I paid under 10.00 buck for them. There must be only one or two real manufactures in China making these little gems.
Speaking of entry stuff. I just completed installing the rear tailgate gas strut last week. A near factory looking install but still going to add strap near the bottom of the tailgate to stop the door from opening beyond 90 degrees to the body. The shaft of the strut comes in to contact with the weather strip of the tail gate when allowed to open all the way and I don't want that to happen. The stop strap will make this a real clean install. I'll post some pics when it gets done. For those who'd like to do the same, here are the part numbers from McMaster Carr.
9416K182 Gas spring with threaded ends
9416K86 Nylon 10mm Ball Sockets
9512K12 Ball mounting 304 sst bracket, you'll need 2.
I also bought a door strap for an 06 wrangler and the strap pin and strap back to put stop strap on the tail gate.
Did your rear handles come off of e-bay?
Unread 11-05-2007, 08:28 PM   #11
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

The handles did come from eBay.
Unread 11-05-2007, 11:38 PM   #12
tkob1060
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers34
Are you talking about going from the A-pillar to the sun visor? I saw this in a thread, but could not figure out how it attaches to the sun visor.

I'm not very mechanically inclined.

hey the rugged ridge rear handles actually come with directions how to mount them to the front A pillar too, I guess they read the forums lol
tkob1060 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.