Engine won't fire up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine won't fire up

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
colbyttu5
2007 JK Wrangler 

Engine won't fire up

I've searched around and have found things that come close to the problem I am having but not exactly, so hopefully someone can help out here.

The issue:

Got into the jeep today and turned the key, it tried its hardest but just wouldn't fire up. All the electronics work, and the battery is good. I checked the terminals and they are fine.

The jeep has been sitting for about a month (i travel a lot for work), so I'm wondering if some water froze in my fuel lines and did some damage. I tried spraying some starter fluid through the air intake and that gave it a quick jumpstart but then nothing, it just keeps cranking after it has burned that off, but never actually starts. After the fourth attempt at this (also not real sure if this good to do or not) I heard a grinding noise, the jeep started shaking pretty violently, then a little puff of smoke appeared from under the hood. I decided to call it quits for the day after that.

Does anybody know what this issue could be? I would prefer to fix it myself if possible. Oh yeah it is a 2007 with 43,000 miles

colbyttu5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like its not getting any fuel, since its firing up on the starter fluid and shutting down immediately. Personally, I don't recommend using starter fluid on fuel injected vehicles.

When you turn the key to the run position do hear the fuel pump run?

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for five minutes?
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 01:41 AM   #3
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Can you cycle the key like three times to see if it's throwing a code?
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyttu5 View Post
The jeep has been sitting for about a month (i travel a lot for work), so I'm wondering if some water froze in my fuel lines and did some damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavic View Post
Sounds like its not getting any fuel, since its firing up on the starter fluid and shutting down immediately. Personally, I don't recommend using starter fluid on fuel injected vehicles.

When you turn the key to the run position do hear the fuel pump run?

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for five minutes?

If it is cold enough there, you very well could have an ice blockage...maybe get it inside and use some dry gas.

I agree with tavic's comment also.....
Unread 01-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
colbyttu5
2007 JK Wrangler 

I can hear the fuel pump running and I disconnected the battery and let it sit for 20 minutes...still nothing.

I thought about an ice blockage since it had been fairly cold here, but I don't know if it has been cold enough. Plus it was 60 here yesterday. I did add some more new gas as well and water remover...still nothing.

As far as getting a code...do I just go turn the key from the off position to the run position and repeat three times and leave in the run position on the third time within ten seconds or something to that effect?

I enjoy wrenching on the jeep, but I'm new to this and trying to learn. Thanks for the help.
Unread 01-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm thinking now that you should check the battery voltage under load. Especially if it is the original. Don't assume that it's ok, these JK's need their juice...
Unread 01-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Check the cam sensor. They are known to be a problem. Some times my engine will crank but not start. Most often when it's hot outside.
Unread 01-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
tclaremont
2014 JK Wrangler 

If you know how to use them correctly, use jumper cables to another vehicle and see if it starts. If it does, it is reasonable to start assuming your battery is weak.

Alternatively, remove your battery and take it to a local parts store and have them check it. You may have enough volts, but what you need to measure is amperage.

If you have the factory battery, my guess is that it is ready for a funeral.
-------------------------------------
tclaremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
colbyttu5
2007 JK Wrangler 

I've tried jumping the battery...still nothing...it just keeps cranking but never fires.

I'm about to pull it out and take it to autozone anyways to just see.
Unread 01-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
Unknown303
2007 JK Wrangler 

If that's the case it could be a fuel pump or something with your ingnition system.
Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
colbyttu5
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quick Update

When I was pulling the battery, I noticed that some of my wires were frayed/chewed up that go into a harness directly in front of the battery. I just decided to take it to the stealership and let them deal with. Hope the aftermarket warranty covers it, just don't want to pay the deductible.
Unread 01-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Quick Update

When I was pulling the battery, I noticed that some of my wires were frayed/chewed up that go into a harness directly in front of the battery. I just decided to take it to the stealership and let them deal with. Hope the aftermarket warranty covers it, just don't want to pay the deductible.
Cool, be sure to update us on what they find.
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
ncb

Quote:
Quick Update

Maybe an animal? One of the pilots I work with left his car at the hangar for a couple weeks and during that time a squirrel chewed up some wires around the engine. He popped the hood to jump start it and the squirrel jumped out. He screamed like a little *****. It was hilarious.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine , motor

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.