Engine Trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Trouble

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 02-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
BadPirate
2012 JK Wrangler 

Engine Trouble

P0507 - Idle Speed Performance Higher Than Expected

I received the above code on my 2008 JKU, 40,000 miles. The engine light remains on and the red lightning bolt light along with traction control will come on at random times. When the other two lights come on the idle speed will jump to 1,100 and I will have no power at all.

Any ideas as to the cause? I really don't want to run to the dealership. Thanks.

BadPirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I would suggest you re-boot your system first...disconnect battery for 5 to 10 min, the reconnect and see if this clears the code...try the simple stuff first.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

How old is your battery? The JK ECM gets really weird if your battery voltage drops.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
BadPirate
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
How old is your battery? The JK ECM gets really weird if your battery voltage drops.
I actually just got a new battery. They swapped it out with a system saver so that may have dropped the voltage while installing the new battery.
Unread 02-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here is some info about the code you have:

P0507-IDLE SPEED PERFORMANCE HIGHER THAN EXCEPTED

Theory of Operation

The objective of the Idle Speed Rationality is to monitor the ability to achieve and maintain a steady idle condition. The monitor will judge the functionality of the idle speed control system by monitoring RPM during idle. If RPM does not come within a calibrated deadband of target idle speed, a timer is started. If the timer reaches its maximum threshold without any sign of the RPM trending towards control, a soft failure is generated.

When Monitored:
With the engine idling in drive, the brake applied, engine run time above a minimum calibrated value, and no VSS, MAF/MAP, ECT, TPS, ETC, CKP Sensor, fuel system, or injector DTCs present.

Set Condition:
Engine speed is 200 RPM or more above target idle speed for 30 seconds. Two Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

Possible Causes

AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM LEAKS
Inspect the Air Induction System for the following problems:
Leaks: Air Intake tube connection, Air Cleaner housing, etc.

PCV SYSTEM LEAKS
Inspect the PCV system for the following problems:
Leaks - cracked or damaged hoses or tubes, poor hose or tube connections, PCV valve stuck open, etc.

ENGINE VACUUM LEAKS
Start the engine.
Inspect the vehicle for external vacuum leaks.
Inspect the engine for internal leaks.

THROTTLE BODY
Inspect the throttle body for carbon build up, other restrictions, and a bent throttle plate using a straight edge.
While the vehicle is running, lightly tap on ETC Motor with your hand and listen for idle to raise.
If the idle increases:
Verify that there is good pin to terminal contact at the Throttle Body and the Powertrain Control Module connectors. If OK, replace the Throttle Body Assembly. Disconnect the Battery when replacing the Throttle Body Assembly. After installation is complete, use a scan tool and select the ETC RELEARN function.

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors between the Throttle Body and the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM).
Look for any chafed, pierced, pinched, or partially broken wires.
Look for broken, bent, pushed out or corroded terminals. Verify that there is good pin to terminal contact in the Throttle Body and
Powertrain Control Module connectors.
Refer to any Technical Service Bulletins that may apply.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPirate View Post
I actually just got a new battery. They swapped it out with a system saver so that may have dropped the voltage while installing the new battery.
As in the problem started right after the battery replacement? If so, that's where I would start. Battery, cables, crimped wires, etc.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
BadPirate
2012 JK Wrangler 

I disconnected the battery and let is sit for 30 minutes to reset. I will see what it does today.
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:02 AM   #8
CMEvans79
2007 JK Wrangler 

No update? I'm guessing everything is OK after the disconnect? My 07 is doing the same thing so I'm now very interested... sorry for grave digging, but These threads are here for a reason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.