Engine tick 3.8L - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine tick 3.8L

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
Only happens between certain RPMs, could be a loose heat shield. Although that's more often described as a buzz or rattle.
Can you post a sound or video file (or link to youtube)?
Hopefully this link works...
Sound quality isn't so great, may have been too close...you can hear it right when I hit the pedal

BadBarret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #17
TXWK131
2009 JK Wrangler 

I had the same issue after warming up to running temp. I tried different oil and additives with no luck!

Then took it to my tech and he put 10w-40 "diesel oil" with the STP lifter additive and no sound now. But it's just a bandaid...

Im sure I will just replace my lifter when I have time.
DIY DECK LID
[/CENTER]

2006 Navy WK HEMI ~RK 3.5 lift - 17" Moabs - Toyo 265.70.17 AT - Bedliner Paint Job - [COLOR="Red"][B]SOLD[/B][/COLOR]

'85 XJ... Still tryin to figure out what the heck I have in this piece of Junk! But you gotta start somewhere
TXWK131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #18
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXWK131 View Post
I had the same issue after warming up to running temp. I tried different oil and additives with no luck!

Then took it to my tech and he put 10w-40 "diesel oil" with the STP lifter additive and no sound now. But it's just a bandaid...

Im sure I will just replace my lifter when I have time.
So it seems to be just a lifter issue? That's not too bad right? Not to canny on the engine stuff haha. I tried 5w-30 and it hasn't helped.

Will trying 10w-40 have any ill effects until I can get the lifters looked at?
Unread 05-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #19
TXWK131
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBarret

So it seems to be just a lifter issue? That's not too bad right? Not to canny on the engine stuff haha. I tried 5w-30 and it hasn't helped.

Will trying 10w-40 have any ill effects until I can get the lifters looked at?
I haven't had any ill effects at all, I have gone 12k now with nothing different! Also not burning as much oil as I was either. My tech. said it won't do a thing to it.
DIY DECK LID
[/CENTER]

2006 Navy WK HEMI ~RK 3.5 lift - 17" Moabs - Toyo 265.70.17 AT - Bedliner Paint Job - [COLOR="Red"][B]SOLD[/B][/COLOR]

'85 XJ... Still tryin to figure out what the heck I have in this piece of Junk! But you gotta start somewhere
TXWK131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #20
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBarret View Post
Hopefully this link works...
Sound quality isn't so great, may have been too close...you can hear it right when I hit the pedal
Hard to say. When its cool, try wiggling the various heat shields. might as well try to rule them out.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #21
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post

Hard to say. When its cool, try wiggling the various heat shields. might as well try to rule them out.
Damn me! >:l should have listened and tested the heat shields. Just changed to 10w-40 and it still does it...
Unread 05-31-2013, 06:07 AM   #22
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

Heavier oil has not helped any... I'm ready to give up. Sounds like a vibration but I can't find where :l
Unread 05-31-2013, 06:30 AM   #23
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBarret View Post
Heavier oil has not helped any... I'm ready to give up. Sounds like a vibration but I can't find where :l
check out:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/t...ating-1529762/
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #24
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Three things...

You may notice on all jeep/JK forums now that many JKs from 2007-2009 are starting to get this.

1. Heat shields (check the shielding along the transmission cross member area. They are cheap, tiny tackwelds. (should be covered in your power train 2007 warranty)

2. Exhaust manifold crack. Your video doesn't sou d that great but, it did sound like a manifold crack. (should be covered in your power train 2007 warranty)

3. Throwout Bearing. Your description of the sound and the RPMs it happenens fits with the 6 speed issues. Again it's been around six years, the factory oem TOB has been known to be ****y.
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #25
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm convinced it's a rattle from something loose. Any easy way to access the passenger header heat shield?
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #26
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

Update:
Just thought I'd send an update on the noise and I think I found it! Turned out to bw the xfer case shifter cable vibrating on the front panel. Just wanted to thank everyone for the help!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.